Is there a way to identify the exact dish I have?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aaron_huber

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Portland, OR
I tried to get an upgrade to the Hopper 3 today and was told that it's not available for me because I'm in a low beam area. I'm thinking it's because I used to have a second dish for 129 when they did my original installation about 10 years ago.

About 2 years ago I had the siding on my house replaced and I had to take the dish off the wall. When they came out to hook me up again they replaced it with a single dish with a triple-LNB pointing to 110, 119, and 129. As far as I can find on the Internet, the only dish that could be is the 1000.2 which obviously is compatible with the Hopper 3. Is there any other dish that exists that it could be? They kept saying that I have a "24 inch dish" which wasn't compatible but the only thing I can find was perhaps my old single LNB dish pointing to 129?

I tried arguing with two separate reps that what they show for my dish is wrong but they couldn't help me. Perhaps I need to get DIRT to set up a "relocate" order just like in the other thread to get them to come look at the dish and update their system. This is so retarded that a stupid record in a database is preventing me from continuing to be a happy customer.

:-(

Aaron

Reactions: charlesrshell
I tried to get an upgrade to the Hopper 3 today and was told that it's not available for me because I'm in a low beam area. I'm thinking it's because I used to have a second dish for 129 when they did my original installation about 10 years ago.

About 2 years ago I had the siding on my house replaced and I had to take the dish off the wall. When they came out to hook me up again they replaced it with a single dish with a triple-LNB pointing to 110, 119, and 129. As far as I can find on the Internet, the only dish that could be is the 1000.2 which obviously is compatible with the Hopper 3. Is there any other dish that exists that it could be? They kept saying that I have a "24 inch dish" which wasn't compatible but the only thing I can find was perhaps my old single LNB dish pointing to 129?

I tried arguing with two separate reps that what they show for my dish is wrong but they couldn't help me. Perhaps I need to get DIRT to set up a "relocate" order just like in the other thread to get them to come look at the dish and update their system. This is so retarded that a stupid record in a database is preventing me from continuing to be a happy customer.

Aaron
if you haven't already, definitely talk with DIRT - this has been an issue for a number of others

if you haven't already, definitely talk with DIRT - this has been an issue for a number of others

I've read the other thread and I will once I know for sure what dish I have, I just want to be positive before claiming that I have the one that I think I have.

Aaron

I've read the other thread and I will once I know for sure what dish I have, I just want to be positive before claiming that I have the one that I think I have.

Aaron
I'm not having a problem (install scheduled for tomorrow) but I'm curious as to how we can tell what dish we have. Mine is black and just says "Dish" and "HD". Those who's upgrades have been stalled seem to all have 2 dishes and the "low beam" issue.

You could also have a 1000.4 dish fitted with a western arc LNBF. The new hybrid LNBF is not compatible with the 1000.4. If your dish mount has a threaded rod for fine tuning the elevation, and a cam for tweaking the azimuth, it's a 1000.4.

Aaron
I don't understand - IF you did in fact have an "incompatible" dish, why couldn't they replace it? Or is there a reason why you would need a dish

Aaron
I don't understand this - IF you in fact did have an "incompatible with H3 dish" why couldn't (or wouldn't) they replace it? Unless there was some other reason why you needed that particular flavor of dish?

You could also have a 1000.4 dish fitted with a western arc LNBF. The new hybrid LNBF is not compatible with the 1000.4. If your dish mount has a threaded rod for fine tuning the elevation, and a cam for tweaking the azimuth, it's a 1000.4.
Mine definitely has no rod or cam, so I'm assuming I must have the 1000.2 dish. My old DTV dish has the adjustment rod.

There is also the dish 1000plus it is used for 110/118.7/119 and 129 and I believe it is the largest of the dish 1000 dishes.

I think I found a simple confirmation, in my system info page and check switch results it shows I have a "DPP 1K.2". Pretty obvious once I know where to look. Now back to trying to get DISH to give me a new Hopper. :)

Aaron

Reactions: TheKrell and Foxbat
I don't understand this - IF you in fact did have an "incompatible with H3 dish" why couldn't (or wouldn't) they replace it? Unless there was some other reason why you needed that particular flavor of dish?

There are some places that actually do need 2 dishes to get adequate signal from the satellites. The combined dish with three LNBs is fine for most, but if you have a low signal (usually on a spot beam for your local channels) they might need to feed the signal from that satellite from a single larger dish. That situation is called a "low beam" because you have low signal on a spot beam. That configuration is not currently supported on the new "hybrid" set up needed by the Hopper 3, but will be by the end of the year with the new hybrid switch.

So if you actually do need 2 dishes, you have to wait. Since I already have the one dish that is needed by the Hopper 3 (1000.2) then it will work. I just have to figure out how to convince their computer of that.

Aaron

There are some places that actually do need 2 dishes to get adequate signal from the satellites. The combined dish with three LNBs is fine for most, but if you have a low signal (usually on a spot beam for your local channels) they might need to feed the signal from that satellite from a single larger dish. That situation is called a "low beam" because you have low signal on a spot beam. That configuration is not currently supported on the new "hybrid" set up needed by the Hopper 3, but will be by the end of the year with the new hybrid switch.

So if you actually do need 2 dishes, you have to wait. Since I already have the one dish that is needed by the Hopper 3 (1000.2) then it will work. I just have to figure out how to convince their computer of that.

Aaron
ah.... very interesting ..... I was guessing that "low beam" was a "positional" thing. I love this place :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)