Is There Any Way To Make an HD DVD from a DVR Recording?

MarkVA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Northern Virginia, USA
Folks -- I've spent most of my time in the AZBox forum and have decided to ask for help, advice and lessons-learned over here. I'm curious if anyone has come up with a way to turn HD recordings on a FiOS (or similar) DVR into a HD DVD? Apparently, residential DVD Recorders only record in SD (at least that's the case with my Panasonic). Unless there's a straightforward solution out there, I'm willing to try multiple steps.

For example, I was thinking I could:
  1. Play the DVR recording through my AZBox Premium Plus and record it from there to a USB -- have never tried this, so I don't know if it will work. I know I can make direct HD recordings from my AZBox, either onto a USB or an internal hard drive.
  2. Connect the thumb drive to my PC and burn a HD DVD disc using my Roxio Easy Media Creator software. I know this works, at least to make back-up copies of HD DVDs.

There doesn't appear to be a way to transfer a DVR recording directly from FiOS to a thumb drive. Am I correct?

The best my Panasonic will do is 480p -- also correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I do not know much about the AZBox. But if you can as you suggest USB transfer an HD recording to a PC you could make a blu ray disk. DVDs are SD. HD DVD standard failed and was discontinued. Blu Ray is what you would need, and of course you would need a bluray player.

If you cannot get the HD output from the AZBox via the USB connection, you would need an HD capture device like HD PVR Product Description

I use the Hauppauge HD PVR to make the recordings from my HR24 along with VideoRedo TV Suite to edit out the commercials and Cyberlink Power Producer 5.5 to burn the AVCHD file to a DVD or Bluray disc. It's a bit cumbersome but I am able to archive shows and delete the from the DVR. I can either watch the DVD or AVCHD file on my Bluray player. The HD PVR uses the component output of the DVR and the quality is pretty good.

I use the Hauppauge HD PVR to make the recordings from my HR24 along with VideoRedo TV Suite to edit out the commercials and Cyberlink Power Producer 5.5 to burn the AVCHD file to a DVD or Bluray disc. It's a bit cumbersome but I am able to archive shows and delete the from the DVR. I can either watch the DVD or AVCHD file on my Bluray player. The HD PVR uses the component output of the DVR and the quality is pretty good.
I do pretty much this except I use MultiAvc or Total Media Extreme to make my discs... or I just leave on a EHDD to watch with a media player (do this more than anything).

I do not know much about the AZBox. But if you can as you suggest USB transfer an HD recording to a PC you could make a blu ray disk. DVDs are SD. HD DVD standard failed and was discontinued. Blu Ray is what you would need, and of course you would need a bluray player.

If you cannot get the HD output from the AZBox via the USB connection, you would need an HD capture device like
HD PVR Product Description

Thanks, guys. I took a look at the Hauppauge unit and it looks like I could come out of the FiOS DVR box in parallel and basically make two recordings simultaneously. Or, I could come out of the DVR through the HDTV and record through the Hauppauge. I guess this also seals the deal that I need a Bluray player in order to watch HD on a disc as well.

I need a Bluray player in order to watch HD on a disc as well.

If looking to purchase a Bluray player, look for one that supports DLNA (a lot now do as well as other apps) and you will be able to stream the files from your computer to the Bluray player for playback without having to create a physical disc.

You can also use DVD Fab to convert any recording format to just about any other format you wish and burn it to dvd or blu ray dvd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts