is there anyway: one cable, 2 receiver, but only one at a time

rfic

Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
hi, guys,

i already know (if i'm correct), there's NO way i can connect one cable to 2 receivers simutaneouly (or independently);

ok, then is there any possibilty i can hook up with 2 receivers, but only watch one at a time? in other words, is there any high frequency (cover satallite frequnecy range 950MHz-2150MHz) switch, which i can choose switch to receiver A or B

i have dish 1000 (dpp twin, dp dual), 2 HD811. i really do NOT want to bring another cable thru my wall!

thanks

I think someone had posted something about this in the past but it has been a while. Is this possible by using a splitter and if one receiver is using that particular voltage then the other will not be able to pick up the same voltage? For example, if one receiver is using even transponders the other would as well.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just get a DishProPlus UHF upgrade kit so that you can turn the channels from anywhere in the house or get a DishProPlus receiver that has the DPP remote that comes with it?

Stargazer said:
Wouldn't it be simpler to just get a DishProPlus UHF upgrade kit so that you can turn the channels from anywhere in the house or get a DishProPlus receiver that has the DPP remote that comes with it?

would u pls make it a little more detail?

thanks

Would a power passing splitter work in this case. I know I've seen and heard of them, I think I may have a few laying around somewhere.

wobbie said:
Would a power passing splitter work in this case. I know I've seen and heard of them, I think I may have a few laying around somewhere.

do u have any model # or sth like?

If both receivers were powered up you would be sending 18 volts up each side of a power passing splitter, 36 volts will cause problems at some point.

boba said:
If both receivers were powered up you would be sending 18 volts up each side of a power passing splitter, 36 volts will cause problems at some point.

i find some high frequency (up to 3000MHz) power passing splitter (both side). suppose i turn on one receiver at a time, does the DC (18V as u say) should be OK? or even another receiver in standby mode, the DC voltage still there?

another question is for splitter, suppose one receiver standby, is it totally shutoff signal path (high impedance)? what i'm afraid is there will be signal loss also

BTW, do u guys know where i can find more technical spec for these stuff?

thanks

I have been running an 811 and a 510 on one cable (only one at a time of course) for a few years now by using one of those 1 to 2 a/b switches. Looks like the old 2-way splitters of yore, but with a black slider switch on the front of it that selects the line you wish to use. Whether it's designed for 2 inputs to 1 output or 1 input to 2 outputs, it will still work fine. Because the slider switch is simply completing the circuit, the in/out sides do not matter. Hope that helps you out...

Last edited:
thunderlips said:
I have been running an 811 and a 510 on one cable (only one at a time of course) for a few years now by using one of those 1 to 2 a/b switches. Looks like the old 2-way splitters of yore, but with a black slider switch on the front of it that selects the line you wish to use. Whether it's designed for 2 inputs to 1 output or 1 input to 2 outputs, it will still work fine. Because the slider switch is simply completing the circuit, the in/out sides do not matter. Hope that helps you out...

:D man, finally find some guy having same requirement for me. thanks, thunderlips, can u give me your a/b switch's model #? i'm searching it , but can't find any one with high enough frequency.

BTW, since u have 811, u should receive HD package, have u ever compared before & after add switch?

rfic said:
:D man, finally find some guy having same requirement for me. thanks, thunderlips, can u give me your a/b switch's model #? i'm searching it , but can't find any one with high enough frequency.
BTW, since u have 811, u should receive HD package, have u ever compared before & after add switch?
Yup! It's just like this one: http://www.pc-extras.com/prods/ctswab.html

Pay NO attention to the in/out sides. If you connect your line from the dish to the OUT connector, then connect each receiver to each of the IN connectors, the selector switch will still work just fine. When you switch to one-it basically cuts off the other receiver, so all you'll see is the "searching for signal" message-no worries about frying anything, at least nothing has happened to my receivers.

No difference in picture quality with or without the switch. Although, I should mention that it does cut the signal strength by a few points, but unless your signal strength is already dangerously low, I wouldn't worry about it. Most you're out is $3 or $4 bucks if it doesn't work for some reason. Just go to Walmart or someplace and get one once you see what it looks like. I wouldn't bother ordering it online myself.

Hope that helps...:)

Last edited:
yeah, just to clear up one thing... if you did use a dual-power passing splitter but only turned one one receiver at a time... the receiver is still putting power to the dish. So the only way to cut that power is to unplug the receiver... or disconnect the cable, which is what an A/B switch will do.
I've done that one time using two A/B switches, one in the living room, one in the guys garage... so he could leave his Dish receiver and his Directv reciever (for NFL Sunday Ticket) both hooked up, and then both dishes hooked up outside. then we could just use the two A/B switches to pick which setup he wanted

My advice that I gave above was not how to use two receivers at one dish but how to do the same functionality as if you had two receivers connected only you would only need one receiver and still be able to turn the channels in the other room as well. The UHF remote allows you to turn channels through the walls therefore you could have control of that receiver to any television that is hooked up to that receiver. You would also save $5 a month in additional outlet fees.

Will you upgrade if you now own your equipment?

Cancelation process?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)