Is there such thing as QSL's for FTA channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
I think this would be interesting although naturally if someone finds a feed they wouldn't inform them it was up. The thing is there would be quite a number to go though and who knows where the transmitters are located and/or what would be required in terms of verifiying what was said (if it's a foreign station)

I would be willing to bet that other than a few ham operators CB'ers and short wave listeners, that most won't know what a QSL card is. And I would be suprised if C and Ku band broadcasters would respond to a signal report like like some of the AM and Shortwave radio stations used to do. ( don't know if they still do or not, haven't done that in more years than I care to admit to!!)
james

aka:grusome

Man, that's a term I've not heard in a long time.

I still have QSLs from WWV and WWVH around here somewhere, got them when I was a teenager.

QSL request on FTA not recommended

I have some QSL cards, from SW radio stations and Ham Operators, haven't sent out a report since 9-11 .

DXing UHF with your TV is ok when you get a signal from an unimaginable distance, AM radio is fun too, and getting a Reply card can be quite a treat, but so much can go wrong in FTA.

I mean what will your report look like.

Dear NBC last night I caught a Feed on SBS 6, freq, pol, SR.
Your news anchor was really funny when he made that remark off the air, I can send you a copy on dvd from my DVR.

This has no legit purpose because you are not the intended recipient of the signal, so please leave this QSL alone.

On the other hand if the signal was intended for mass audience via FTA like some religious programming or Canarias Intl. , and you were beyond the footprint or having some odd success, this could be usefull for engineers and stations wanting demographics of where their audience is located.

Just to play it safe, no QSL's in FTA, last thing you wanna see missing is your favorite channels.

PLEASE ..... DO NOT SEND QSL REQUSTS unless the station is full-time using FTA for direct to home broadcasts.

While certain engineers might be humored, other station personal certainly might not be and the result could be the loss the station to FTA. Amateur radio contacts and ducting of VHF/UHF commercial services might have resulted in some memorable QSL trophies, but the footprints of satellites are pretty well established ....... Maybe burn a DVD to show off to your friends, but it is best to remain unseen and unheard.

Loose lips sink ships?

I think if you really wanted to, you could request QSLs from some of the broadcasters on World Radio Network and Radio Nederlands. They are international networks, openly broadcasting to people, and would likely be pleased to know that their programs are received by FTAers in the US.

As for writing the stations on G10, or random stuff that pops up unscrambled, yeah, that's a bad idea. While "they" know there are people out there that can watch feeds (and that's about 70% of FTA in the US), they aren't putting it up there for public consumption. There's no need of letting them know we've got video of their top anchor swearing and potentially drunk.

DiscoLoveGrapes said:
There's no need of letting them know we've got video of their top anchor swearing and potentially drunk.
So true! This could potentially be damaging to a networks image, and embarrassing things happen all the time on feeds :)

DiscoLoveGrapes said:
There's no need of letting them know we've got video of their top anchor swearing and potentially drunk.

I have to ask I've seen and heard of stuff with anchors swaring but have you seen any drunk?

There's a documentary Spin that shows a heck of alot of cband feeds and there was a quote of a anchor of (during I think the LA riots) "Ladies and Gentlement my corporation has required me to get us up on this Godforsaken hour so I shock the living ___ out of you!" it was pretty funny actually. I think it might have actually been an anchor that's now on cnbc but I'd have to check

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)