Is there such thing as too close?

spiderg8r

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
All my broadcasters are 1.1 miles or less. Can get all with rabbbit ears but not all at same time (not practical when trying to hide antenna in attic). Tried two sets with a splitter and still having problems - any solution? I know i should be getting a strong signal from all stations - why would they be difficult to find if so close?

spiderg8r said:
All my broadcasters are 1.1 miles or less. Can get all with rabbbit ears but not all at same time (not practical when trying to hide antenna in attic). Tried two sets with a splitter and still having problems - any solution? I know i should be getting a strong signal from all stations - why would they be difficult to find if so close?
Could be front-end overloading on your receivers, which an accentuator would take care of for you, however, it also could be that you have the broadcasting towers located in different directions. Go to http://www.antennaweb.org and check the location of the towers for your residence. I would then pick the most central spot and turn your antenna to pick up that station best the see how well the others come in.

Most rabbit ears are VHF and most digital stations are UHF? What antenna are you using. Where are the towers located in relationship to you home?

As Mike0616 suggested, check antennaweb for tower location and we can be a lot more help.

Last edited:
yes you can be too close. yes you can get too much signal. Go to Rat shack and pick up an attenuator. Other than that, call or email one of the local station engineers and they can tell you the best kind of antenna to use. Being so close I have no idea.

Last edited:
Being too close is worse on Digital than Analog. We are 3 miles away from our Digital transmitters, and at the studio, have to attenuate the signals, else we get intermittent breakup. For our lobby, we used a cheap antenna to eliminate the problem.

While most digitals are UHF, in this market ALL analogs are UHF and 2 of the 7 Digitals are VHF. Our two stations are VHF, and it caused a problem when we went HD as most dealers sold UHF only antennas. They now recomment the correct antenna.

I agree with the overload suggestions. If attenuators don't work there may be another issue. If you are 1.1 miles away, you are likely outside of the antenna pattern and in an area where there is no direct signal. Your statement that you can get all your stations with rabbit ears, but not all at once makes sense. Your rabbit ears are probably picking up a strong reflected signal(s). If your locals are UHF, try a Silver Sensor ($30) by pointing it AWAY from the towers and rotating it. Another possible solution would be to point it straight up, thus trying to maximize the small direct signal while minimizing the reflected ones.

I worked at a TV station for many years. The transmitter building at the base of a tower is a strange place to try to receive a TV or FM signal. There is little direct signal, just 360 degrees of strong reflected ones.

Tom J said:
I agree with the overload suggestions. If attenuators don't work there may be another issue. If you are 1.1 miles away, you are likely outside of the antenna pattern and in an area where there is no direct signal. Your statement that you can get all your stations with rabbit ears, but not all at once makes sense. Your rabbit ears are probably picking up a strong reflected signal(s). If your locals are UHF, try a Silver Sensor ($30) by pointing it AWAY from the towers and rotating it. Another possible solution would be to point it straight up, thus trying to maximize the small direct signal while minimizing the reflected ones.

I worked at a TV station for many years. The transmitter building at the base of a tower is a strange place to try to receive a TV or FM signal. There is little direct signal, just 360 degrees of strong reflected ones.

Tom J hit the nail-on-the-head!

You are probably under what we call the "cone-of-silence". Broadcast antennas, depending on the topography, may transmit a signal at 90 degrees to the tower, or, if in high terrain, install a little down tilt to hit the viewers close to, and below the tower.

But at a mile, chances are that the vertical pattern is shooting over you.

Not much will help you in this case, as Mr. Tom J. stated....you'll have to find a reflection and it may take a rotor for different channels.

Don't be afraid of up-tilt, even to the point of vertical. Where-it-is-is-where-it-is, yes?

I would even try just a few feet of #22 wire poked into the center conductor of your receivers 'F' connector.

There are ways to phase multi-stacked antennas to achieve a solid signal, by it's not for the faint-of-heart.

Start SIMPLE, experiment. If you don't want to use wire, parallel two sets of rabbit ears (collapsed) and rotate them to achieve a usable signal on all channels.

You actually have a more difficult job than the guy out 70 miles.....He knows where to point it and he needs gain......

You don't know where to point and YOU DON'T NEED GAIN (probably).

If all else fails, I have an engineer that could probably plot the effective pattern at your location and advise the solution.

Let us know your progress, my friend.

-dave-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts