Is this a good deal?

They need some insurance you will spend some money after having a tech come out and also upgrade the receivers.

If its a question of loyalty, in the case of the OP, he stayed with Dish for 5 years after the contract was up. In my case its been about 7-8 years. That should account for something, shouldn't it?. I have been a loyal Dish customer and one of the perks should be to not have to sign a new 2-year agreement to upgrade a 612 to a 722. Furthermore, why would a subscriber upgrade a receiver if their intention is to move on to another provider? Do we get to keep a leased receiver?

And while true you can save more by being a new customer with another carrier, you are signing a two year contract with them too. So you can't be against a two year contact.

The point is, if I have shown that I am a loyal customer, why require a new contract?

And then, Dish is giving a little more now for discounts than they used to from posts I am seeing, so the savings gap is not as large. I think if you can just pay a $15 fee, and a two year contract, that's not bad. (And now only $50 for a Hoppa) But it's been posted and talked about over and over, the industry is, the new subscriber is given the biggest discount, with a two year contract, the hope being you won't want to switch after the two years.

I can understand requiring a new subscriber to sign a 2-year agreement. Dish is giving the newbie some nice deals, nothing wrong in making sure they hang around awhile. Asking a long-time subscriber to sign a new agreement is really beating the crud out of a dead horse.

The point is, if I have shown that I am a loyal customer, why require a new contract?
To make sure you stay a loyal customer. There are too many fickle/deal chasing subs out there to not assume the worst. I have no problem with the practice regarding upgrades.

To make sure you stay a loyal customer. There are too many fickle subs out there to not assume the worst. I have no problem with the practice.

Then you don't think of a long-time subscriber as a loyal customer. A flip-flopping satellite subscriber doesn't not care about loyalty.

Like I said, you have to assume the worst, and draw the line, policy-wise. Dish is not alone in this. If you intend to stay loyal, why should it matter to you????

Like I said, you have to assume the worst, and draw the line, policy-wise. Dish is not alone in this.

Then its not a question of loyalty but bottom line -- there is a difference.

If you intend to stay loyal, why should it matter to you????

Because once Dish has earned someone's loyalty, they shouldn't reward the subscriber by requiring new contracts.

Because once Dish has earned someone's loyalty, they shouldn't reward the subscriber by requiring new contracts.

Don't you mean Dish shouldn't penalize the loyal subscriber by requiring new contracts?

I have been with Dish for nearly 10 years and I have NEVER had to pay for any equipment replacement or upgrades, not one dime and I do not have the protection plan! In fact I just got free Encore package for 6 months, just because their computer server did not want to accept my online order for a program upgrade and I had to call in to find out what was going on and they we sorry I was inconvenienced. Total time on the phone for this inconvenience was 5 minutes, so I am bewildered by why so many people have such a hard time getting what they wish or need.

My 2 cents as a tech. All that is on my van for dual tuner DVRs are 722k. It's the only reveiver for this Dish gives my company. I would say set up a service call. (cough) see to it the 622 is not working upon tech arrival. 99% chance it gets swapprd for a 722k, or at least a 722. I dont know that any techs have 622 on their truck. Maybe Dish Network in house techs can confirm whether this is the case

Don't you mean Dish shouldn't penalize the loyal subscriber by requiring new contracts?

No. Although I was being facetious, I meant reward. Really can't call it anything else, and KAB sees contracts as a bonus for long-time subscribers, so I felt reward fit best.

No. Although I was being facetious, I meant reward. Really can't call it anything else, and KAB sees contracts as a bonus for long-time subscribers, so I felt reward fit best.

There's that word again. Facetious :D

It does get used some, but not too much. Maybe I'll start a new trend and use waggish or jocose in place of facetious.

OP back with some updates, answers and questions

As suspected my 622 hard drive has crashed and burned I have scheduled an installer for tomorrow. Should I call Dish and let them know the 622 failed or just wait until the tech gets to my condo?

Since a do have a true hardware failure I may have more options:

A) swap the broke 622 for a new 622 or hopefulluy a 722 and stay month to month,

B) upgrade to Joey or 922 and sign new 2 year contract

C) switch to Direct TV

I don't see what the big deal about a 2 year commitment. Unless you have notion of switching to Direct, 2 years shouldn't matter. And if you do have thoughts about doing that, read the thread started by the person regrets doing that.

I like Dish and I plan on being their customer for at least 2 more years, but if they want me to give them something (a new 2 year contract) I need them to give me something back in exchange

I have been with Dish for nearly 10 years and I have NEVER had to pay for any equipment replacement or upgrades, not one dime and I do not have the protection plan! In fact I just got free Encore package for 6 months, just because their computer server did not want to accept my online order for a program upgrade and I had to call in to find out what was going on and they we sorry I was inconvenienced. Total time on the phone for this inconvenience was 5 minutes, so I am bewildered by why so many people have such a hard time getting what they wish or need.

Have you been under contract the whole 10 years?

My 2 cents as a tech. All that is on my van for dual tuner DVRs are 722k. It's the only reveiver for this Dish gives my company. I would say set up a service call. (cough) see to it the 622 is not working upon tech arrival. 99% chance it gets swapprd for a 722k, or at least a 722. I dont know that any techs have 622 on their truck. Maybe Dish Network in house techs can confirm whether this is the case

what's the difference between a 722 and a 722k?

The 722 has a built in single ota tuner while the k requires an add on dual ota tuner. Also the remote is a learning remote that you can store your tuner presets so that you can transfer them to another receiver if the current one fails.

They are giving you something, an upgraded receiver with more functions. Don't be greedy. As I said before, read the thread strted by the guy who jumped to Direct anh how he regrets it.

jawxx said:

Thats exactly what I would do. Be nice to the tech and just tell him it keeps powering off by itself and is making weird noises. We don't carry 622's anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)