Is this normal during medium rain?

wcnghj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
New England
The medium rain turned into Heavy rain, but the channels didn't look too good even when it wasn't raining that hard.

61.5 was at 9, 119 at 7 and 110 at 5.

Well, it's not so much the rain that affects it as it is the 6,500-60,000 ft thunderclouds that pass by. They typically pass by in the beginning of the storm, and then once the storm is directly overhead you it usually has no problems picking up a signal. It can be raining so hard that you can't see across the street, but as long as no raging thundercloud is between you and the satellite, you're good to go. Since you're in New England looking at western arc, 110/119 will only encounter problems with thunderclouds to the southwest of you. 61.5 being on the eastern arc will be affected by south southeastern stormclouds.

I think what matters most is your signal strength on clear days. The higher the signal strength on a clear day, the more resistant to "rain fade" your satellite connection will be.

The medium rain turned into Heavy rain, but the channels didn't look too good even when it wasn't raining that hard.

61.5 was at 9, 119 at 7 and 110 at 5.

Hi, rain fade will take the picture completely out. If the picture does not look good you must have some other problem. How is the TV hooked up? A bad coax if that is how the TV is hooked up to the receiver can make a bad pictures. Have you tried the HDMI or composite connectors? Hope this helps, DC

HDMI. With the signal so low, I would expect picture like that.

An installer is coming tomorrow to replace my two dishes with a single 1000 series. I'll make sure channels are coming in well before they leave.

Yeah at 9 and 7 and 5 signal levels, the receiver is definitely in the beginning stage at the very least being only partially able to acquire signal, which can cause bad pixelation.

Again, what matters most, is how clear the signal is on a clear day IMO. Great to hear that a tech will be fixing you up. I recently had a signal issue and they fixed me up great!

However, even with an optimally-peaked dish there are still (smaller) chances of "rain fade" during even light showers, but it is rare. Again, what matters most, is where those huge thunderclouds are. Particularly, if you check the radar on the computer, or wherever you get your weather radar from, take note of where the red areas are. If you're on western arc any red southwest has a potential for taking out your signal. For eastern arc, anything south-southeast in red can affect signal. Peaking/replacing the dish will definitely make the chances of interruption slimmer.

Make sure the installer peaks the signals on all three dishes to get best performance, otherwise you may be as bad off or worse. SOme techs set it up to getr a picture in clear sky then when rain comes the weak signal that looked OK is now GONE.

MAKE HIM PEAK THAT DISH!!!

Then give him a $10 tip.

An installer is coming tomorrow to replace my two dishes with a single 1000 series. I'll make sure channels are coming in well before they leave.
Sounds like you being getting an EA dish. Don't know where you are in NE but for many of us very far north in NE the 3rd sat 77 will be pretty weak compared to 61.5 and 72.7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)