Is this one of the crap DP Twins?

ClarusWorks

Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
My system occasionally reports a switch error, usually just during rainstorms, which is dismissable as weather, but sometimes it happens for no good reason. I usually have very good signal, all in the 100s and 110s, and I got this error today, and went outside to see if anything was obstructing the dish, or if there was heavy cloud cover. No cloud cover, but the DP Twin LNB had popped apart a little at the bottom, where the snappy-clips hold it together. I popped it back together, ran a check switch, and everything's fine. The LNB hitting 61.5 was perfectly intact, and working properly.

The information from the suspect LNB is:
BS1B2UP201M (This number is in the bottom left, don't know what it is, model #, maybe?)
Lot No. W 4 8 (The W has a circle around it)
Made in China

I know it's not one of the crappy Channel Master ones, but is it one from another lot/manufacturer that was not good? Also, who is it making these things, and does anyone else make them? This one seems very flimsy, while the build quality of my DP Dual for 61.5 seems very good (P/N: 151019 Lot No. 0442 Assembled in USA)

Thanks in advance
ClarusWorks

The model on the crappy lnb's that dish sent out are CCS9601.

The one you have is a good batch but it may just be your lnb. What type of switch do you have behind the lnbs, it may be more than likely the switch itself do you have a 34 or 21 switch, thats were I would start if it messes up again.

Check your software version. I reactivated a 301 once with an old software version. It dis exactly the same thing that you mention. The menu on the receiver was locked with an older software version.

Also, many of the switch problems that I've had was with bad, corroded or marginal "F" connectors.

I now place all connectors and switches, including grounding blocks under the ceiling of eaves next to the freize board, or in weatherproof boxes. Switches not in boxes are placed inside attics, basements or crawl spaces.

Cable companies learned the hard way, when it comes to protecting connectors. They all now use weatherproof boxes. I NOW don't do installs with grounding blocks on sides of houses without them.

LNB's go from time to time. Skyvision- (CA.) and many other places you can find online sell LNB's at various prices. I have changed a few on my C-band dish over the last 15 years. You will get what you pay for in LNB's. The cheaper ones are usually not so good.

LNB's go from time to time. Skyvision- (CA.) and many other places you can find online sell LNB's at various prices. I have changed a few on my C-band dish over the last 15 years. You will get what you pay for in LNB's. The cheaper ones are usually not so good. Good luck.

Personally, I have found lnbs to be very reliable.

Most of the problems that I have seen on service calls has to do with bad or corroded "F" connectors, a matter of bad workmanship, bad connector placement or water penetration issues.

LNBs

Yes, What you say is true often. However, I live in So. FL and we get many thunderstorms during the summer months. I lost 1 LNB due to a storm. I replaced another because the digital signal kept tiling. I have a 4DTV C-band receiver. My 10' dish is going on 15 years old. We had 2 hurricanes last summer, but it keeps on running. The big dish didn't lose the weather channel until the winds reached about 90 MPH. There is a wide spread in LNB prices. I wish someone would come up with a fix for rainout signal loss on my Dish-(20") It went out last night when we had gusts of wind about 30 MPH courtesy of Dennis's winds.

More Info

The LNBs are attached to a properly-grounded DP34 switch (I know it's properly grounded because it originally was not, and DISH had to send someone out to install 2 grounding blocks a few months ago. (The installer had grounded directly to the DP34, which is not acceptable.)

And I knew it wasn't a CCS9601, the real Crap one, I just thought there might be another faulty lot/manufacturer of DP Twins. But still, the plastic cover on the LNB should not just snap apart under normal use (I.E. nobody hammering on the dish, no extreme weather, etc.)

As a professional installer in the business for many years, as well as other dealers, I have the advantage of having a good supply of components on the truck.

Like computers, it is much easier to switch parts than to measure and troubleshoot with instruments. Many of the components are integrated circuit chips that just cannot be repaired.

But, as I stated before, most service calls are based on connectors, cables and just plain poor workmanship. All they care is that it works when they leave. Almost any install wil last for a year -- the normal warranty period.

I now do only high in custom installs. For a few dollars more, an install can last 10 to 15 or 25 years. Like houses, water is the thing that is most damaging. If you can keep it out, things last for years.

... water is the thing that is most damaging. If you can keep it out, things last for years.
Nah - I don't even use connectors. I just kinda wrap some shield around the barrel and let the corrosion make a permanent bond. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)