Is this possible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Inskdimo

Original poster
May 7, 2010
US
Hello guys,

Basically what i want to do is shown in the picture below. I want to run 4 coaxial cables from the dish network multiswitch to the "combiner" which then gives the output as a single coaxial cable. Then I want to run that single coaxial cable to the "splitter" which splits single line to the original 4 streams and thus I can connect the 4 outputs to my receivers. Is it possible? Is there a combiner or a splitter capable of doing this?

Thank you

j0f8dx.jpg

Question, can't you stream in the 3 LNBs to the in-the-house switch and then use 4 outputs? At least one cable less for 4 units. I might like to do this to get the switch out of the weather although it might be ugly. Is there a way to add the OTA to all without separate combiners?
-Ken

I don't completely understand what you are trying to acheive, but if you are talking about using diplexers to combine a Sat signal and something like an OTA, then another diplexer near the box to separate the two signals, then yes, but there will be a compromise in signal strength as each time it runs through a diplexer, it suffers a bit each time, but it usually is not a problem for the vast majority of people. The misunderstanding may be in the confusion of the nomenclature regarding terms "combiners" and "splitters."

Iceberg's response is correct if we assume you meant "splitters." Well, a clarification would be nice, at least for me, as to what EXACTLY you are trying to acheive. It could be that others understood you perfectly, and I am not getting it.

Sorry, but the picture provided makes no sense to me. According to the picture and text provided you have absolutely no need for either the combiner nor splitter as all you need to do is run each cable from the switch output to each of the single tuner boxes in the picture. In other words, take the 4 cables you want to run to the "combiner" and, instead, plug each one directly into one of each of the 4 single tuner boxes. DONE! Keep in mind that the single cable from each of the 4 outputs to each of the 4 boxes provides all 3 satellites to the one box. The DP34 is itself a kind of satellite "combiner" and "splitter" already, for the sat signals. Is that the issue?

Take the cable for each satellite and directly connect it to the inputs of the DP34. The DP34 essentially combines up to 3 satellites so that only ONE cable from ONE of the outputs provides access to all 3 satellites. The DP34 essentially "splits" this to 4 outputs, each requiring only one cable to each box. I use the term "essentially" because the switch is not exactly combining and splitting; more is involved.

For dual tuner boxes, you would need to use 2 cables runs from the DP34 switch to make it work, say outputs 1 & 2 of the DP34 and connect them to the box's Satellite 1 & 2 Inputs respectively. A DP44Plus switch requires only a single cable from the switch to feed a dual tuner box, where, just before the dual tuner box's Satellite Inputs, a special Dish Network separator (not a splitter) is used to feed a separate cable to Satellite Input 1 and a separate cable to Satellite Input 2.

Was this of any help?

Last edited:
DishSubLA,
I think the original idea would be 1 single coax from the outside of the house to inside where it splits to receivers.

Miner

Thanks for the clarification. I get it now. His switch is outside rather than inside (now KKlare's remarks make sense). As usual Iceberg understood and is correct. a big NO; that cannot be done.

However, perhaps the OP would be interested in subscribing to DirecTV and use their SWM install :). This allows for only ONE cable from the reflector, if that is paramount.

But I do agree with KKlare in that a switch inside the house is better, if possible, in that it is not out in the elements, even though the switches are designed to function outside in the elements. Always best to "baby" any electronics.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)