Is This The Classic AZBox DiSEqC 1.2 Problem?

MarkVA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Northern Virginia, USA
I had finally set up my dish positioner with my AZBox a couple of weeks ago and everything was working fine. But, it now seems as if any changes I make to any AZBox setting messes up the limits in my GBox positioner and sends the dish pointing who-knows-where. By "anything," I mean blind scanning, adding a channel to the "favorites" or simply renaming a feed. The error message I get is the "E---02" display in my GBox window. I did a couple of resynch commands with the AZBox turned off to get the GBox positions back in the neighborhood again. With the GBox turned off, I made sure that each of my dish positioner settings had the limits set on "disabled." But, as soon as I turn on the AZBox, the same thing happens.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong in my settings?

FYI, I've rebooted with and without the GBox powered up. The only thing I haven't done is to physically disconnect the coax and run the positioner as a standalone unit. I'm running the 5020 firmware.

I haven't yet tried the GBox in standalone mode, but will do that tonight. If nothing else, I want to rule out an actuator problem (18 year old Superjack II) as the cause of the E---02 error. I replaced the reed switch less than 6 months ago when it failed with the 4DTV hooked up.

UGH!

FYI there is another post on here that I started for this same problem and it does the same thing with the Vbox X that I have so it's not something new. On mine I just plan on resetting the east limit any time I do a blind scan of a satellite. From what I understand they are aware of this problem but to date no fix has been incorporated in the recent firmware updates.

They don't have time to fix this, but they do have time to re tool and make a new box to sell every year that uses the same buggy firmware from the previous models.

Welcome to the wonderful world of products sold with bugs that never get fixed! ;-)

MarkVA,

Have you (or anyone else here for that matter) researched the G-Box specific error "E-02"?

I am curious what that error means to the G-Box and if the error description might provide more clues as to what the AZBox is fouling up on. I have read many reports of the actual symptoms encountered, but none I recall which cited a specific error code. It might be beneficial to research this code to see if it offers any specific information that can be used to isolate what is really going on.

RADAR

NOTE: I just searched a little bit and found (below) from Sadoun's. However, this description doesn't really relate to the problem at hand as it seems to indicate a problem between the G-Box and the actuator. I offer it up anyway, just in case:

E2 Message on Display:
There is only one error message -- E2 message for GBox. E-2 Message means NO PULSES detected.

Possible causes:

Re-check the wiring connection from the actuator to the GBox
Make sure the actuator is not stopped due to Mechanical Limit.
Check if the Reed Switch Sensor in the actuator is broken.
Check if the Motor is broken.
The Fuse inside the GBox might be broken.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I just thought I'd add, that I've been running my G-Box from my AZ-P-HD since last
summer, and am putting up with all of those issues too.

Going standalone on the G-Box will most likely avert these issues, but will give us
two remotes to work with.

As I don't do much blind-scanning, the E/W limit thing isn't so bad anymore, I simply
turn off the G-Box before the scan.

The biggest annoyance that gets me, is the constant "dish bumping" and "save position"
that I need to perform so often!
I don't know which box is to blame, but sometimes the G-Box's count goes out by as much
as 130 clicks! Usually not that bad, but still, enough to need a re-sync. Quite often, I have to
manually re-sync each sat individually via the AZBox.

My actuator is a VonWeiss, with 130' of proper, shielded control wires. Although, the pulse wire's shield drain may not have been grounded to the motor, I had the same troubles with the previous VonWeiss that WAS grounded.

I wonder how long the relays will last in my G-Box?, with the amount of bumping
going on here. lol, I think I'm on the 3rd set of batteries in the remote!

I wish we had answers to share, rather than grump reports.

Oh well, I should go out and run the sno-mower before that wet stuff freezes!

Cheers.

upnatm I've currently got a Vbox X running with a SuperJack actuator and an AZbox Ultra/Elite and I very seldom have any problems with numbers being off? I do bump it occasionally to see if some feeds Q numbers would go up but normally they are the same as when I started. Dunno, maybe your VonWeise is having problems with the plastic nut? Or, you might try adjusting the clearance between the magnets and the reed switch to see if that helps. If the magnets are too far away or too close it will hork up the counts. I think I gap mine at around 1/16 inch and that seems to work well.

Radar the Vbox X doesn't give an error number, just shows that the east limit it hit if you try to move the dish east after a blind scan so I'm guessing that info isn't much help. Any more I don't even set the limits as I use the limit switches in the actuator to stop it but even with them NOT set, the AZBox will set the east limit every time it blind scans.

There are currently 2 separate issues related to DiSEqC 1.2 with the AzBox

1. Motor keeps moving either east or west a few clicks at a time after using the AzBox to adjust the motor position
Workaround for now: Use your V/G box remote control or front panel buttons to adjust dish position instead of using the AzBox. Use the AzBox to save your position once signal is peaked.

2. East limit is set when doing a blind scan on a DiSEqC 1.2 satellite. This continues until unit is rebooted.
Workaround for now: Either temporarily turn off the V/G box before doing a blind scan or change the Positioner Setup from DiSEqC 1.2 to off (this will NOT erase your stored position). Once the blind scan is completed, turn your V/G box back on or change Positioner Setup back to DiSEqC 1.2.

P.S. Yes, Opensat is aware of these issues and they will be resolved ASAP.

Regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Radar the Vbox X doesn't give an error number, just shows that the east limit it hit if you try to move the dish east after a blind scan so I'm guessing that info isn't much help. Any more I don't even set the limits as I use the limit switches in the actuator to stop it but even with them NOT set, the AZBox will set the east limit every time it blind scans.

LoneGun,

That issue with the limits (primarily the east limit) being set is definitely an AZBox problem. I haven't detected this issue recently, but I do know that it does not matter if you have a V-Box/G-Box for a BUD or running directly to a H-H motor like an SG-2100 or a DG-380.

The issue here with the limits being set, I think I can safely state, is or was an exclusive issue with the AZBox firmware (image file program). It has been a long time since I have detected this problem with my AZBox using a H-H motor so I think they have taken care of this specific error for at least the applications using a H-H motor.

I haven't seen quite as many complaints about this issue, so I don't know if the issue has been resolved for some or if they just got tired of discussing it or found a work-around that satified them. Who knows?

RADAR

Could this be a firmware 5020 issue? I'm still running that firmware as it seems to work well for me and the newer versions were buggy so I didn't install them? If the new firmware will fix it then I'll install it.

Thanks for the advice on the actuator, Lone Gunman.

My dish is getting new polar axis bushings when the snow is gone, I'll have a
close look at the Von Wiess then. I have 3 spares to work with too.

Thanks again.

MarkVa I have experienced that E...02 error on every Satellite I have stored in my AZbox Prem Plus. It prevents the Dish from moving East and seems to lock it up. The quick fix for me: After finding your strongest Tp Signal - Press Diseqc 1.2 and go into & Press Reset Limits, then scroll down to Store Position, and press it. Now for me here is the important part: Reboot the AZbox Immediately after Storing the Position Do Not Exit, just Reboot and the Limit Goes Away and you can now move the Dish again once the AZbox Reboots back up. I don't know why it works but it does for me on 33 Stored Satellites!! Hope this helps.

MarkVA,

Have you (or anyone else here for that matter) researched the G-Box specific error "E-02"?

I am curious what that error means to the G-Box and if the error description might provide more clues as to what the AZBox is fouling up on. I have read many reports of the actual symptoms encountered, but none I recall which cited a specific error code. It might be beneficial to research this code to see if it offers any specific information that can be used to isolate what is really going on.

RADAR

NOTE: I just searched a little bit and found (below) from Sadoun's. However, this description doesn't really relate to the problem at hand as it seems to indicate a problem between the G-Box and the actuator. I offer it up anyway, just in case:

E2 Message on Display:
There is only one error message -- E2 message for GBox. E-2 Message means NO PULSES detected.

Possible causes:

Re-check the wiring connection from the actuator to the GBox
Make sure the actuator is not stopped due to Mechanical Limit.
Check if the Reed Switch Sensor in the actuator is broken.
Check if the Motor is broken.
The Fuse inside the GBox might be broken.

Radar,

I've been thinking the same thing. On one hand, I generally think that my ~20 year old actuator has finally given up the ghost when these types of problem occur. But, it has been working fine since I replaced the reed switch a few months ago.

I have never seen this error code when operating the GBox in standalone mode. Further, when I use the GBOX to move the dish, the positioning is right on and I never have to bump it, except in high winds. In contrast, I always had to bump the dish when I was using the 4DTV.

The "no pulse detected" would explain why, when the GBox is connected, the counter changes, but the dish doesn't move. I've had to resynch 3-4 times already and, now, the counter can't go high enough to lock in the far western spacecraft. So, a "reset" is next on my agenda.

I guess I will just have to operate in standalone mode until (or if) AZBox finally fixes this problem. That's too bad. Both are quality pieces of equipment, but they just can't talk to each other.

When I get a few minutes, I will call the Sadoun guys and see if I can find anything out, which I will post here for everyone's information.

Struggling with a DiSEqC Self-sat Rotor HH90 and Azbox Prem

Not normally someone who can't figure out how to set something up I'm really struggling with configuring by DiSEqC rotor using the azbox. Following Azbox instructions I'm trying to figure out why when I try to position the dish for a satellite my rotor refuses to do anything but swing back and foward without end.

I'm starting to think I am a bit nuts but I'm more worried I am going to burn it out. I've downloaded sat positions and channels via Maz, I then go into Antenna setup, selected a satellite and turned on DiSEqC, entered positioner setup and selected disable limits and clicked ok.. then set the command mode to go to position and tried to move the dish to the required location however it just swings back and foward without end.

What am I missing? Is there a better guide to configuring a DiSEqC dish without using USALS? Am I reduced to begging on forums? Help gladly appreciated..

After reading this thread and some others i have decided to continue to use my v-box (standalone)untill this issue is resolved!Havent had any problems yet using the v box as a standalone.

Guys, hello, I am having this same issue that my dish wont move (manually it works). It stopped on some extreme position and will not get back automatically to zero, I had to move it manullaly and now I am trying to get it back working automatically. Once, this disabling/resetting limits helpded me, but I cannot find out how it worked, in what sequence...
What exactly should I do? Ive followed what jsattv wrote, and it didnt help. I have an AzBOX Premium, and within the Antenna setup menu, then Diseq, I have possibilities of Disabling limits and Resetting.
It once worked for me, but now I cannot remember.. I use USALS for moving my dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)