Is upgrading (VIP 612 to Hopper Duo) worth it?

kc1ih

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
I've been using a VIP 612 since I first subscribed to Dish in 2011. I lived in NH at the time but now live in Florida. What I've discovered here in FL is that I frequently lose signal during the summer thunderstorms. So I'm wondering if upgrading to a Hopper Duo would help with the situation, or what other advantages there would be to making the switch? And how much would it cost me to make the switch, considering I'm willing to sign a new 2 year commitment?

If it matters I have one TV, and subscribe to the Flex Plan plus HBO.

Thanks for your help.

Larry

I've been using a VIP 612 since I first subscribed to Dish in 2011. I lived in NH at the time but now live in Florida. What I've discovered here in FL is that I frequently lose signal during the summer thunderstorms. So I'm wondering if upgrading to a Hopper Duo would help with the situation, or what other advantages there would be to making the switch? And how much would it cost me to make the switch, considering I'm willing to sign a new 2 year commitment?

If it matters I have one TV, and subscribe to the Flex Plan plus HBO.

Thanks for your help.

Larry

It might not be the receiver. Your dish might need to be peaked. You could call Dish and let them know you're having a lot of rain fade and see if they can send somebody over to either peak the dish or replace it. I am on Eastern Arc and I rarely ever experience rain fade, even during torrential downpours.

Reactions: TheKrell
Rain fade is a matter of ... rain. The receiver has little or nothing to do with rain fade, but a larger reflector could help some.

How much do you record? The Hopper Duo has a larger hard drive than the ViP612, so that may help, if you are currently filling up your hard drive too often. Also, if you record a lot from the four major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) the Hopper Duo may help resolve conflicts, because it can record all four of those networks at the same time using only one tuner, if you subscribe to satellite-delivered local channels. The disadvantage to upgrading would be that your DVR fee would increase by $3 per month, if you are currently grandfathered at the $7 per month rate. (The Hopper Duo has a $10 per month DVR fee.)

Reactions: navychop
I’e already spoken with the technical people and they had me check the signal levels on a sunny day which they said are good. I’ve heard but not confirmed that the Hopper receivers use a different dish and/or LNB which is better in this situation.

I’e already spoken with the technical people and they had me check the signal levels on a sunny day which they said are good. I’ve heard but not confirmed that the Hopper receivers use a different dish and/or LNB which is better in this situation.
Hopper Duo is compatible with the same Dish and LNB that you already have. It would just be a simple receiver swap.

It might not be the receiver. Your dish might need to be peaked. You could call Dish and let them know you're having a lot of rain fade and see if they can send somebody over to either peak the dish or replace it. I am on Eastern Arc and I rarely ever experience rain fade, even during torrential downpours.

I am also on EA, & experience a lot of rain fade.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Those CSR's have no clue what good signal is. I went to a TC yesterday for missing channels (actually, she was getting intermittent signal loss) - CSR told her that her signals were good. 119, 110, 129 signals were 43, 39, 23. After I re-peaked,, she was at 77, 74, 56 and voila, all her channels were back after a check switch

After years of good service our aging Vip 622 began having signal strength issues that caused severe pixillation on HD channels (western arc). Checking all coax connection and re-peaking did not fix the issue. So I replaced the 622 and LNB with a Hooper 3 and hybrid LNB. I didn’t change ANYTHING else. That was over a year ago. We haven’t had pixilation issues since.

Reactions: JSheridan
All ViP622 units should have had taps played on them long ago.

I’d say the ViP612 and the ViP722 units have a better lifespan.

Reactions: HipKat
Those CSR's have no clue what good signal is. I went to a TC yesterday for missing channels (actually, she was getting intermittent signal loss) - CSR told her that her signals were good. 119, 110, 129 signals were 43, 39, 23. After I re-peaked,, she was at 77, 74, 56 and voila, all her channels were back after a check switch

I wish they would fix that signal meter.

Reactions: HipKat
I have EA and get signal levels in the high 50s, which is about as good as eastern arc gets. Florida rain storms are what they are,. There's going to be some rain fade.

How much do you record? The Hopper Duo has a larger hard drive than the ViP612, so that may help, if you are currently filling up your hard drive too often. Also, if you record a lot from the four major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) the Hopper Duo may help resolve conflicts, because it can record all four of those networks at the same time using only one tuner, if you subscribe to satellite-delivered local channels. The disadvantage to upgrading would be that your DVR fee would increase by $3 per month, if you are currently grandfathered at the $7 per month rate. (The Hopper Duo has a $10 per month DVR fee.)
I forgot to mention one other advantage of switching from a ViP612 to a Hopper Duo: the Hopper Duo has PIP, while the ViP612 does not. Of course, if all you want is PIP, you could just upgrade to a ViP722k instead, and probably keep your grandfathered ViP DVR fee. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)