Is Using Over Air Antennae for HD Worth it?

boonguyen

Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
I have HD package with DISH, but do not qualify for HD local channels. I live in San Ramon, CA. I'm thinking about installing an over the air antenna for local HD. Do you folks think it's worth it and do you have any recommendations on specific antennae? Thanks for your input.

Make sure the map looks right for your location. When I feed my address into Antennaweb, the map is off by about 15 miles and says I should get dozens and dozens of OTA channels. If I scroll across the map and find my location manually, it says I shouldn't get ANY digital channels. (I actually get 3 digital, and a couple analog.)

Also, Antennaweb won't tell you if the stations are HD, just digital. None of my digital stations are HD.

What DMA are you in? More specifically, do you get signals directly from the stations, or by translators?

It all depends on your location, the channels the DT signals are on, and the power of your local channels. I prefer the CM4228....awesome antenna!

And yes, it's worth it. I can get my HD channels via QAM on basic cable but I prefer the quality of the OTA channels.

While I don't have a HD capable Dish receiver, I do have a Samsung HD box here in the San Jose, CA area. HD is definitely the way to go if you can receive it (and you should in San Ramon). Most of the local channels here come from Sutro tower (some come from San Bruno). I get 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 20, 44, and a few others digital signals. I have an old VHF/UHF antenna and a Channel Master 4228 (picked up at Fry's) on my second story roof. Many have very good luck with the CM4228 in the SF Bay Area. Antennaweb is a good site to start with. There is also some good info at the AVS forum ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=369015&page=1&pp=20 ) but it is a long thread, so you will have to dig to get info.

boonguyen said:
I have HD package with DISH, but do not qualify for HD local channels. I live in San Ramon, CA. I'm thinking about installing an over the air antenna for local HD. Do you folks think it's worth it and do you have any recommendations on specific antennae? Thanks for your input.

I am in far fringe area about 65 miles from UHF digital stations. The installer is looking into a Channel Master 4248 or Winegard PR9032 or Winegard HD9095P for me. He suggested trying this as-is to see if get all channels at 80-90 strenth on my 811 before looking into a preamp.

I just recently installed an antenna for OTA channels and it works great. Go to titantv and type in your zip code ... then you'll see the channels available to you in your area. I would provide you with the link, but since I'm a new member I'm not allowed at this time.

I'm about 65 miles from Birmingham and about 60 miles from huntsville and get most all there digital ota signals with at least a 80% signal with a 811. I have a cm 7777 preamp hooked up though. If it wasn't for the preamp they wouldn't be near that good.

M Sparks said:
Also, Antennaweb won't tell you if the stations are HD, just digital. None of my digital stations are HD.
There's no such thing as an "HD channel". They're digital channels who on occassion show HD *programming*.

hall said:
There's no such thing as an "HD channel". They're digital channels who on occassion show HD *programming*.

Well yes, but specifically, none of MY digital channels are even capable of transmitting HD.

I just meant that AntennaWeb isn't going to tell him that. But since he's apparently near San Jose, his locals SHOULD be transmitting some HD programming. I just didn't know where San Ramon is.

There is SDTV vs HDTV

hall said:

While both HDTV and SDTV use the ATSC spec of digital transmission, many smaller city TV stations don't have HDTV capability but only SDTV. I know first hand because I used to live in Erie, PA and none of their stations were HD except PBS. Fox, ABC, and NBC could only do 480 lines 4x3. They did not even have the equipment to transmit network HD programs. They won't get that equipment for years because they don't have the money!!! PBS (WQLN) can do 1080i 16x9. CBS is still analog there!

On the other hand, I moved to Kansas City recently and all the stations here are HD. They can send HDTV network programs and their local programs are SDTV.

I agree with the previous poster. I wish antennaweb.org would say which is actual HD capable station and which is not.

you can get a answer to which stations are transmitting HD/DD 5.1 on the AVSforum. They have a good up to date list of all the stations transmitting digitally.

I was wondering if there was anyone in the Las Vegas Area who knows about OTA that can give me a hand with my roof-top antenna? I don't know how to get it working right and would like some help

boonguyen said:
I'm thinking about installing an over the air antenna for local HD. Do you folks think it's worth it and do you have any recommendations on specific antennae? Thanks for your input.

I certainly recommend the OTA antenna for local HD reception. Most of our locals here in the Boise market have moved to digital transmission and all but one have great HD programming. Our HD programming is still mostly during Prime-Time hours, but we look forward to more and more programming in HD as time passes.

Make sure you get enough antenna to do the job tho. As already menioned, digital reception is either there or totally not there. Take Antennaweb's recommendations and consider adding a bit to them to gaurantee the best reception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)