3 Receiver ( Audit Question )

yel-mel

Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
I have 3 receivers. I have moved 2 receivers to another building on my property, however using another dish ( 3 acres away ). None of the receivers are hooked to a phone line. My question is , if Dish calls me for an audit of my system : What info do I need to know and have handy. I pay for all 3 receivers and dont want any turned off. My cell phone is the # on my account. Can I pull up this info ahead of time and have it recorded on paper to satisfy any question. It would be hard to get to all receivers in a timely manner. I have not had this problem come up yet but I would like to be prepared.

Thanks for the info. :)

They will ask you for the 'location ID' of each receiver, which changes randomly and there's no way to know it other than checking it while in front of a TV displaying the 'System Info' screen of each receiver.

How often does the location ID changed? If yel-mel was able to walk over to the other tv's within a few minutes would that satisfy the dishnet rep?

The H said:
They will ask you for the 'location ID' of each receiver, which changes randomly and there's no way to know it other than checking it while in front of a TV displaying the 'System Info' screen of each receiver.

dssj0hn said:
How often does the location ID changed? If yel-mel was able to walk over to the other tv's within a few minutes would that satisfy the dishnet rep?

Probably not. They normally expect it shouldnt take you more then a few seconds to move from room to room. If you have to go outside and walk to another building, they will most likely fail you. You have a unique situation however, since all the receivers ARE located at the same address, it's jut a very large property.

Is the "location ID" different on every IRD even if they are all located at the same place?

I don't know how the "location ID" thing works but if it goes by where the IRDs are physically located, wouldn't all the "location IDs" be the same?

In that case, just seeing one would be enough.

And if they are not all the same, then how does E* know the IRDs are where you say they are?

Hmmmmm.......

Yes, the location ID is different on every IRD. If it was the same on all of the IRD's then it would not do any good because you would only have to give them the location ID off of one receiver. Having different location ID's ensures that all of the receivers are there. There is a certain pattern/method that they use with the letters and numbers and they change in a specific sequence in which tells them what it should be on your receiver. They change often.

Stargazer said:
Yes, the location ID is different on every IRD. If it was the same on all of the IRD's then it would not do any good because you would only have to give them the location ID off of one receiver. Having different location ID's ensures that all of the receivers are there. There is a certain pattern/method that they use with the letters and numbers and they change in a specific sequence in which tells them what it should be on your receiver. They change often.

Ok,

So in the above situation, couldn't he just send someone to read the Location IDs off the other IRDs - taking a cell phone with them to call his cell phone and give him the numbers while being on the house phone with E*?

I'm just saying that it seems to me that the only thing a "Location ID" does is prove that the IRD is hooked to a dish and TV....somewhere, and that you can get the numbers off the screen in an acceptable amount of time.

Actual location doesn't seem to have a lot to do with it. I could be wrong. If I am, please feel free to correct me. I'm just curious as to how this works and what the purpose of it is.

I did some digging on here and found this on other post.

"Location ID is generated from an algorithm tied to your Receiver ID, Location ID, and Date/Time (that is all I'll say about it, as it gets close to hacking).
Bell and Dish Network have the algorithm, so they know what the Location ID should be at any time for each of your recievers. They can then call and ask you to read off the number from each receiver. They will then know each of the recievers is in one location.
Typically it takes more than 2 recievers on your account to generate a call. As most homes tend to have 2 tv's, and therefore only 2 reciever accounts usually arn't the account splitters. But once it goes to 3 or more, then it's fair game so to speak."

I think the best solution for the OP is to not answer the call if the audit team calls. He said he gave them his cell as his contact number, so he should be able to check the caller id (dish calls from a 800 or 866 number). They will leave a message and tell you to call back.

Now get a friend to go over to your other building and either use a walkie talkie or another cell phone to relay the location IDs to you while you are on the phone with the audit team.

The less complicated option would be to move all the recievers into the main house, hook them up, then call the audit team back and give them the location ids. I doubt if you pass your audit they will call back anytime soon. I also dont think they audit many people with only 3 recievers.

Some people are going to have a garage or second place on their property or maybe even have a receiver disconnected and not be prepared for the call. That is why it is best not to answer the call right away and also make sure it is actually Dish Network calling. If they want to talk to you bad enough they will leave a message.

I also dont see them calling people over and over once they pass the audit or it would be pestering them to death and once again accusing them and aggervating them again increasing the chance of the customer giving up and going elsewhere to get their service.

The location ID is all about making sure all the receivers are at the same location. The number is not created based upon where the receiver is at because the receiver itself dont know where its at, only that it is authorized for the service. In order for you to be able to give them the unique location ID you would have to have all of the receivers all in one place. That is their idea of being able to know if they are all there or not. This is how it works. This was a brilliant idea for when they brought the receivers out going on almost 10 years ago.

Does DirecTv not have a location ID or something similar?

Tell them you got you on your cell phone and your not home to do the audit.

Go home, get all the receivers in 1 location and call them back!

Worse case scenraio, get on of those sling boxes and then you can always be in front of the receiver reguardless where it is!

aquaman67 said:
Ok,

So in the above situation, couldn't he just send someone to read the Location IDs off the other IRDs - taking a cell phone with them to call his cell phone and give him the numbers while being on the house phone with E*?

No. When I had my interrogation the audit Nazi specifically stated that if they hear you talking to anyone, you will fail the audit and your receivers will be permanently deactivated on your account.

NightRyder

They must be doing the Oklahoma area at the moment. I've done it twice now in the last two weeks, for myself and I did the audit for my sister this weekend. My dad is going to call them back tomorrow for his. On both of my calls they said you cannot put them on hold or interrupt the call talking to someone else, once the test has started or you fail and the receivers will be turned off permanently.

Well,

I think the best advice so far was to just not answer any calls from E* until you take care of your linear waterfowl problem.

(Get all your ducks in a row.)

And that's BS about being permanently terminated. What a strong arm, scare tactic. There are examples of people on here who failed the test, called the next day and had their receivers restored.

Right now I only have two receivers but I'd adding two more. My kids are teenagers now and I'll let them have a TV in their rooms. (And they are driving me crazy.)

I'll be patiently waiting for my call from the signal Nazis.

I just have to think of a way to mess with them without losing my service.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)