Trouble Authorizing Hopper 3 Receiver Purchased on Ebay

As it turns out the Hopper was a demo owned by a Dish dealership.I dontknow why he wanted to sell it but it was very inexpensive and included the remote. The problem was solved by the shop owner calling Dish and removing it from his inventory. It is now activated and working well.
Awesome ending. Can you share how you got there? Did Josh help you?

Awesome ending. Can you share how you got there? Did Josh help you?
If I had to guess, it would be either JoshM saying to contact the seller to call DISH or W6K contacted the seller either directly and might or might not have Ebay step in. That's why usually for Ebay, I don't leave a review until I make sure everything is okay as I don't think one can change a review once it's been submitted.

But more to the point…..

I am one of those that has always purchased and installed all my own equipment. What do I get out of doing this, control.

I don’t have to waste time arguing with Dish about what kind of installation/configuration to be installed (within the bounds of what actually works). Also, I’m very particular on how an installation is done; where the dish is located, how the cables are ran, how much damage may or may not be done to the house by the installation, how the receiver is connected to the AV equipment, etc. etc. And it’s unfair of me to expect an installer (who is on the clock) to adhere to all my fussy restrictions and requirements. Hence, it’s encumbent on me to do that work myself instead.

Now, with that control comes costs, both literally and figuratively. There is the expense of course. However, this isn’t thought of as a short term whim but rather a loner term investment. I have presumably done all of my research ahead of time for what I deem as the best viable option, and I’m willing to invest in that option.

I’ve also had to become knowledgeable in the details of installation configurations (of which this site is invaluable), dish pointing, trouble shooting, etc. etc. And if something is wrong, I’m on the hook to fix it, nobody else. All of that does take extra time and effort.

Lastly, I enjoy the technical journey of learning all of this and having the satisfaction of a technical job well done.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying what you said is wrong. Rather, what I do is a style choice, and for me the benefits out-way the negatives.

Is what I do right for everyone, obviously not. Most folks aren’t inclined or don’t care about such details. But the very existence of this board I think proves there are more like me than just a rarefied few.

So to suggest that there is no benefit to owning ignores the fact that different people have different values, and those values may not be the same as yours.
Agree with having cables and dish mounted where you want and how you want it to look. A lot of installers don't worry about that aspect. I am picky as well plus I don't like strangers in my home

Reactions: charlesrshell
The difference in connectors are that ours are self-sealing Crimp style, designed to help keep moisture out, when properly used
Yes, you are right on that part because compression is known to have the tight weather seal for what you mentioned but it is unknown how sealed Canare's connector is in that regard when it comes to that part of the equation as while it may be crimped, it's not the standard crimp tool but they have a expensive specialized crimp tool where the die is proprietary to even crimp their connectors. I have only seen people talked about the connectors on various forums and I even have the RG-6 Belden 1694A along with the RG-6 version of the cable and while it's not connected, it has also not oxidize even after 23+ years as I checked earlier today while everything else inside my house due to the moisture such as tools and ofcourse it has killed it's share of things like DVD, CD Writers and readers and DVD Players and even a Pioneer Plasma TV because of the moisture. I can tell that the crimp is still hex when I looked under the cable boot but if it seals or how much it actually seals is still unknown at this point but I also coudn't find anyone who complained about the connector either as it is widely used. The Canare connector probably came out after compression connectors which I think was Thomas & Betts which were used first so if it did, I think they probably already looked into each area of the connector in the specs including how it seals or else they would have lot of angry customers by now. Just looked at Canare's website which appears to be Japanese and it says designed for inside use so with that in mind, maybe I should say I'll use canare connectors on the inside and good quality compression connectors on the outside. The other thing is RG-11 cable like Blue Jeans Cable says:
"RG-11 coax; it is huge, stiff, and unpleasant to work with, but is extremely low-loss due to its large center conductor size and is built to the same tight tolerances as Belden's smaller precision video cables. We recommend it for extreme long runs (100 feet and up), and then only if flexibility is not likely to be important." so it can only be used where tight bending isn't needed but still depends on the how much more it will cost, etc. as it still has to be money efficient for lack of better term.

Agree with having cables and dish mounted where you want and how you want it to look. A lot of installers don't worry about that aspect. I am picky as well plus I don't like strangers in my home
That's because they don't own/rent the property but you do so they will only care about it working and can cost more damage than needed like drilling holes when you have ways to get the wire there without drilling holes, etc for example and also likely one will do it more carefully as the techs won't have to live with the roof leak for example. The Directv installer who is a distributor as they had a sticker on the DVR to call is one I would not have wanted in my home if I had a choice before moving into the newer bought home, he literally stepped on dried dog $hit outside on the sidewalk and directly walked in and did it more than once.

I meant to also say spec wise, even for a receiver or a mobile phone of the same model. They will never perform the same because they will only need to meet the specs but some may be made better where it will exceed the specs so you can have two iPhone 15 Pro's as a example, one will be able to make calls in areas where there is only a very low level of signal and the other one will not because the first one exceeds the spec while the second one only meets the spec as no two items will be 100% alike even in RF performance. They just have to meet what the manufacturer says is the requirement and you may get something that performs way better than the spec. Just like when it comes to computer memory, they don't make different speeds like one would think. First they test them to see if they can pass the test at the higher speed and those that make it gets labeled as such, the rejects then get tested at a lower speed and if they pass, gets labeled as such and the process repeats until they test everything and ofcourse there will be some that does not meet specs at any level and becomes trash.