Is Voom Even Listening About Lousy Installs?

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
Hi

I know a person will complain when there is a problem, and not say anything if good, but,

WHERE THE HELL IS VOOM ABOUT ALL THESE INSTALL SCREWUPS?

Bad installs
Not bolting down dishes
CANCELLATIONS at the LAST MINUTE or no call at all
Installs pushing D*V or D*SH during a voom install or saying 'I'll be back in a month to take it down'
Bad info on OTA and amplifiers
NO OTA because they do not want to take the time.
People BEGGING for self installs (Including me)!!!

We all have work, and waiting for an installer to NOT show up or fix a small problem is frustrating. I, for one, cannot take time off for this BULLSH*T.

My lnb went out. 3 appts later, after 3 cancellations, I put in a D*V lnb I had sitting around, works fine. My dish signal weakened, I did not even call, just repeaked it myself. Bought a db-2 antenna myself to get OTA. WHAT THE HELL ARE THE INSTALLERS FOR ANYWAY?

Does D*V or D*SH require installers, NO! So why does a 25k subscriber company think they know the best over a 25M subscriber company???

So frustrating!!!!!

yes D* uses outside subcontractors to do installs. Get your facts straight. I waited almost a month to get D* installed after first ordering and the independent clown didnt know how to work the HD reciever. You can get bad installs with either service. But since Voom also installs OTA there are much more opportunities for failure.

Oh and I installed my OTA antenna too... for D*about a year ago. SO what are D* installers for anyway?

With D* you can buy a STB and dish from Ebay for almost nothing and install it yourself and call them up and they will activate you. I'm not sure but I think you can still walk into Walmart and buy a D* system off the shelf and install and activate. I did it a couple years ago. Twice. If Voom allowed this they would have ALOT more sub's with less problems. IMO.

VegasVoomer said:
With D* you can buy a STB and dish from Ebay for almost nothing and install it yourself and call them up and they will activate you. I'm not sure but I think you can still walk into Walmart and buy a D* system off the shelf and install and activate. I did it a couple years ago. Twice. If Voom allowed this they would have ALOT more sub's with less problems. IMO.

yes you still can do this must be vurbano not did know how to install himself some kind of professional engineer takes only one or two wrenches to do i hope he never works as installer we are in trouble if that happens hehe

VegasVoomer said:

Yes, D* and D*SH both allow self installs. You CAN go into walmart or buy on ebay, and get the rcvr activated. Installers are NOT mandatory, like on Voom.

Ans still 12 hours later, not one VOOM rep has even commented on this thread. It will be weeks from now and still no voom comment.

Want to know how to waste money Voom? Have Installs roll a truck for repeaking a dish (took 5 minutes) or any of a number of small problems.

And about this cancelled appts. THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED YESTERDAY!

philhu said:
Yes, D* and D*SH both allow self installs. You CAN go into walmart or buy on ebay, and get the rcvr activated. Installers are NOT mandatory, like on Voom.

Ans still 12 hours later, not one VOOM rep has even commented on this thread. It will be weeks from now and still no voom comment.

Want to know how to waste money Voom? Have Installs roll a truck for repeaking a dish (took 5 minutes) or any of a number of small problems.

And about this cancelled appts. THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED YESTERDAY!

complain complain complain I do understand that you are upset with you Voom install but for you to put down all installers is not right just like every other job you have good ones and bad ones guess you got a bad one.
The funny thing is that we here all about the installer canceling but what about all the time we go to you the customers home and they forgot we were coming and went shopping or forget we were suppose to be there between 8 and 12 but they don't get off work until 2.00 so they thought the installer should wait on them to get home. I guess i am saying i do understand why you are upset but you should call out the contractor that was suppose to come and do your service call and not try to dog all the reset of the installer that try to make you all happy no matter what it takes and believe me so ask for everything but the moon

Tyork, I respect your opinion, and installers in general. But one point begs to be made:

Customers are customers. We are the company's reason for existing. We pay for the service, we pay your salary. Without customers, the whole enchilada ceases to exist.

Now, Philhu didn't say we have the right to skip out on appointments, answer the door in our underwear, or do other nasty customer things. We shouldn't. And I don't.

What he did say is that Voom shouldn't arbitrarily cancel appointments, and should take steps to insure that installations are done correctly the *first* time. I'd hope we can agree that one truck roll per setup is best for both installers and customers.

Hey IT took a month to get D* installed and the installer called up and cancelled once. D* shouldnt arbitrarily cancel appointments either. But do you see me starting a thread in the D* forum to whine and complain about D*? :rolleyes:

I bought my first Dish system back in March 97 and I was given a self install kit, took it home and was watching satellite in about 30 minutes. No big deal, but the dealer didn't even tell me installation was an option, I'll bet he made more money that way.

As for Voom, I installed most of my system using my existing diplexers, 24" dish and antenna. I had him run another line for the antenna and one for the stb and that was it. All he did was peak the signal and call to activate the receiver. He forgot my 2nd stb and I met him in Portland since I was going to be there anyway and I brought it home, plugged it in and called Installs Inc to activate it. You should have heard the person on the other end, they were quite surprised that an end user was calling to activate.

vurbano said:
Hey IT took a month to get D* installed and the installer called up and cancelled once. D* shouldnt arbitrarily cancel appointments either. But do you see me starting a thread in the D* forum to whine and complain about D*? :rolleyes:

If the guy wants to complain about this particular issue, let him complain.
Else the next time you whine about something so very important to you (and nobody else) you just might be treated the same.

TYORK said:
complain complain complain I do understand that you are upset with you Voom install but for you to put down all installers is not right just like every other job you have good ones and bad ones guess you got a bad one.
The funny thing is that we here all about the installer canceling but what about all the time we go to you the customers home and they forgot we were coming and went shopping or forget we were suppose to be there between 8 and 12 but they don't get off work until 2.00 so they thought the installer should wait on them to get home. I guess i am saying i do understand why you are upset but you should call out the contractor that was suppose to come and do your service call and not try to dog all the reset of the installer that try to make you all happy no matter what it takes and believe me so ask for everything but the moon
Everyting he said is true. Requested another installer group after the first, horrible idiot youngrapper-like guys, who f**ked up my third STB as well as my OTA setup.

The second team - good guys, work fine -, supposedly sent from "the HQ' (somewhere from upstate NY) constantly telling me it's a joke, why I don't go to DirecTV if I want real HD... I am shocked how Voom is actually alive when even its installers are stabbing him...

BTW on my third STB 6 channels are still off - any idea? Everything has beeen replaced over the last 4 months - and yet still I have Showtime HD but not the next 6-8 channels... it's crazy - and nobody knows sh*t at Voom.

vurbano said:

Boy Vurbano you sure do flip flop a lot. Two months ago you couldn't say anything nice about Voom. Now you bash anyone who states a negative fact about them. Your posts are just as funny as there's are. Why all the love for Voom all of a sudden?

ram1220 said:
Boy Vurbano you sure do flip flop a lot. Two months ago you couldn't say anything nice about Voom. Now you bash anyone who states a negative fact about them. Your posts are just as funny as there's are. Why all the love for Voom all of a sudden?
You're correct, from what I have observed he does criticize VOOM when they fail to deliver promised service levels, when PQ issues get out of control, and when management is mismanaging the business side of the house. He typically has a factual basis for his postings (yes, supported by facts and not fiction) and they are usually made in the hope of improving service or correcting deficiencies in service. Is there something wrong with this?

Likewise, he points out all the good things VOOM had been doing. Right now, they are by far the best HD games in town and it is hard to dispute this fact. The programming quantity, quality and choices continue to improve over time (albeit slowly). VOOM has the ability to please me one day and infuriate me the next; often leave me wondering if they are a business unit or a marketing experiment. Most people who are passionate about HD will probably feel this way to a various extent. Again, is there something wrong with this?

VOOM's partnership with Installs Inc. has not been a good one IMO: too many independent contractors who just aren't cutting the mustard!!! There are some terrific people out there installing VOOM system - creme of the crop! However, the Zero's appear to outnumber the Hero's and VOOM is ultimately responsible for the conduct of their contracted agents. My quick observation: a lot of people complain about their installers and/or not having the option to do a self-install...but, they fail to be proactive about their installation (do not contact VOOM, Installs Inc., the local installer) and they don't get actively involved or supervise the installation process.

Personally, I get tired of listening to the people who repeated bash VOOM in the spirit of...well, just to bash VOOM and have no facts or objective opinions to bring to the discussion. There are handful of these people who are registering new usernames and coming back to the VOOM Forum to continue their agenda. Anyway, Vurbano's posts make me smile for a different reason.

VOOM sucks: please help me square it away posts are fine.
VOOM sucks: let me tell you why I hate my stupid installer, their stupid programming, their stupid STB and their stupid business model - these posts will elicit no sympathy and should, IMO, be deleted from the Forum.

Installs Inc -- worst customer service on earth

If voom Fails as business Venture -- Installs Inc. will be it's single biggest contributing factor. :no

I'm waiting for weeks to get a replacement Voom Sat Box, I still don't know if and when I'll ever get one. :confused:

with a service group like Installs inc -- Voom should concider and intellignet move like shipping the customer a box and having someone over the telephone help the customer to set it up, it would sure be better than waiting for Installs Inc to come, Voom would loose less customers that way. :cool:

Voomster :rainbow

vurbano said:
ahh i see the similarity in installers except where your installer actually called you to cancel !
:)

Voomster said:
with a service group like Installs inc -- Voom should concider and intellignet move like shipping the customer a box and having someone over the telephone help the customer to set it up,
I have a box with a defective digital coax out port but I just used the toslink instead, I am not about to play installer roulette just to have a box replaced. :no

E* & D* both send out replacement units, it's not like it takes a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist to swap these things out. :confused:

riffjim4069 said:
You're correct, from what I have observed he does criticize VOOM when they fail to deliver promised service levels, when PQ issues get out of control, and when management is mismanaging the business side of the house. He typically has a factual basis for his postings (yes, supported by facts and not fiction) and they are usually made in the hope of improving service or correcting deficiencies in service. Is there something wrong with this?

Likewise, he points out all the good things VOOM had been doing. Right now, they are by far the best HD games in town and it is hard to dispute this fact. The programming quantity, quality and choices continue to improve over time (albeit slowly). VOOM has the ability to please me one day and infuriate me the next; often leave me wondering if they are a business unit or a marketing experiment. Most people who are passionate about HD will probably feel this way to a various extent. Again, is there something wrong with this?

VOOM's partnership with Installs Inc. has not been a good one IMO: too many independent contractors who just aren't cutting the mustard!!! There are some terrific people out there installing VOOM system - creme of the crop! However, the Zero's appear to outnumber the Hero's and VOOM is ultimately responsible for the conduct of their contracted agents. My quick observation: a lot of people complain about their installers and/or not having the option to do a self-install...but, they fail to be proactive about their installation (do not contact VOOM, Installs Inc., the local installer) and they don't get actively involved or supervise the installation process.

Personally, I get tired of listening to the people who repeated bash VOOM in the spirit of...well, just to bash VOOM and have no facts or objective opinions to bring to the discussion. There are handful of these people who are registering new usernames and coming back to the VOOM Forum to continue their agenda. Anyway, Vurbano's posts make me smile for a different reason.

VOOM sucks: please help me square it away posts are fine.
VOOM sucks: let me tell you why I hate my stupid installer, their stupid programming, their stupid STB and their stupid business model - these posts will elicit no sympathy and should, IMO, be deleted from the Forum.

I didn't ask for your 2 cents. I asked Vurbano. If you're tired of the negative posts, don't read them.

ram1220 said:
I didn't ask for your 2 cents. I asked Vurbano.
Well, well...then let me tell about this wonderful little feature called Private Message (aka PM). Perhaps you should make better use of this feature in order to keep your PRIVATE messages out of PUBLIC forums. ;) If you wish to continue posting in PUBLIC forums, you should expect to have your statements reviewed by others and be prepared to receive comments based on your postings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)