Installs Inc. is a joke!

uboatcmdr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Alabama
I have had all I can take trying to get the proper OTA upgrade out of Voom, Installs Inc. and any of the three local yahoos assigned to this one workorder. Here I sit at home for the umptenth time waiting for someone to show up only to get a call saying they don't have and cannot get the proper equipment.

Last month I upgraded to VaVaVoom. Now because of the lack of attention they have given my workorder I just called & downgrade to the basic package again.

Anyone who is considering getting Voom should be prepared to spend quite a few days (if not weeks) off work waiting at home to get the install and needed OTA upgrades done. Just thinking of the time I have wasted waiting for these worthless installers really pi$$es me off! With such a $hitty installation department, Voom does not deserve the customers they have, much less any new ones. As far as I am concerned Voom can come get their equipment anytime they like.

It's the nature of the business as far as contractors. You call a Voom dealer or even a DirecTV dealer and they sub the work to a fulfillment company like Installsinc. Then installsinc sends it to their "local" installer who is probably another subcontractor who subs it out again and so on. The bottom line is all these companies keep lowering the installers pay..so noone will do the work for these install companies and of course it boils down to the consumer getting the lousy deal. There is a company in my area that wants to pay $25.00 to install an antennae, heck it would cost me more then that in gas to drive there in back. Maybe you wouild want to take a look in the local phone book and get someone.

TYORK said:
all you need is a antenna upgrade right?

t

Yep, been waiting on this last work order to get done for over a month. It was assigned to three different installers and came full circle back to the first (and in my opinion the most worthless of the bunch as I have had three no-call / no-shows out of four appointments with this one company). I am just fed up trying to deal with Voom, Installs Inc. or any of the locals. If it comes down to me going out buying and installing my own OTA antenna, I will just cancel Voom and go with another provider. I have given them every chance to make this right and they have dropped the ball every time. It's no wonder Voom doesn't have over 40,000 customers, what is a wonder that they have as many as they do, must be folks with more patience, time and money to waste than I have.

wobbie said:
It's the nature of the business as far as contractors. You call a Voom dealer or even a DirecTV dealer and they sub the work to a fulfillment company like Installsinc. Then installsinc sends it to their "local" installer who is probably another subcontractor who subs it out again and so on. The bottom line is all these companies keep lowering the installers pay..so noone will do the work for these install companies and of course it boils down to the consumer getting the lousy deal. There is a company in my area that wants to pay $25.00 to install an antennae, heck it would cost me more then that in gas to drive there in back. Maybe you wouild want to take a look in the local phone book and get someone.

I am a Directv HSP installer. I originally ordered Voom because I didn't want to shell out the $$$ for the Directv HD equipment. Voom say's they provide the locals through an OTA antenna. That is what they advertise so why should I have to go get the correct antenna and install it myself. I don't expect my customers to do my work for me, so why should I be doing Voom's work for them?

uboatcmdr said:
Digital Entertainment Plus located in Elgin, AL

I am working on this for you right now. do you have the names of the other 2 company's that would do this for you either.

t

uboatcmdr,
I just got a email back from the regional manger and he said that he will get this resolved for you so you maybe getting a phone call today from someone.

t

TYORK said:
I am working on this for you right now. do you have the names of the other 2 company's that would do this for you either.

t

In2TV (Madison or Athens, AL) and J&G Satellite (Cullman, AL).
T, I appreciate your help, but if they can't get it done today or Saturday, it won't help because I refuse to take another day off to be subjected to yet another no-call / no-show or be given another last minute lame excuse.

Thanks for the info i am doing everything i can to make sure that they get you taking care of by at least Saturday.

t

uboatcmdr, sorry for the bad news I also got stood up for the antenna upgrade that voom approved, called voom and he stated that the installer didn't have the equipment, well guess what it has been 7 days and still haven't heard a word from no-one, gonna try to call voom again tonight and call them everyday and complain until I get installed. Rained here last night and I lost everything even locals, Yea I had nothing when Tusc. county went under tornado warning yesterday, I'm here in jefferson county.Yea really trusted voom when I had no clue about the weather.Sorry had to vent Hope at least you get installed uboatcomdr, greg

smokeatr2000 said:
uboatcmdr, sorry for the bad news I also got stood up for the antenna upgrade that voom approved, called voom and he stated that the installer didn't have the equipment, well guess what it has been 7 days and still haven't heard a word from no-one, gonna try to call voom again tonight and call them everyday and complain until I get installed. Rained here last night and I lost everything even locals, Yea I had nothing when Tusc. county went under tornado warning yesterday, I'm here in jefferson county.Yea really trusted voom when I had no clue about the weather.Sorry had to vent Hope at least you get installed uboatcomdr, greg

Just got a call from Installs Inc., gave them the whole history. Told them the OTA upgrade had to be today or Saturday, that this was their last chance to get it done, period.
Installs said they talked with the installer scheduled for today, the guy told them a story which was totally different than the one he gave me this morning. He told me the only OTA antennas he had were the one's Voom originally sends out (the plastic Wingard Sensors). He tells Installs that he told me he had either a 4 bay (which I already have) or an 8 bay, but that I was requesting something else. If anyone at Installs had bothered to check AntennaWeb using my zip w/+4 they would clearly see that my address calls for a antenna which will operate in the red zone which means a medium directional antenna. All I have asked for is an antenna that works, if they cannot provide that then they need to be upfront about it and stop wasting my time with all the missed service calls and lame a$$ excuses.

While I do think Install Inc needs to be maybe a bit more decerning(sp) on who they allow to sub for em I tend to blame the Subs more than the main company as they are the ones standing ppl up or refusing to come check problems with their installs. Or, like in the case above the Sub tells inc a diffrent Fairytale from what was actually the case to CYA themselves. Heck my origonal installer flat out refused to do anything upgradewise or to even send someone out to look over what was done to see if an easy correction or a defective combiner/splitter may be the culpret. When I spoke to the origonal sub about ant upgrade, after already spoke with Voom and was authorized one, I was told "well your only supposed to get 3 channels" which boggles the mind since, as long as weathers nice my OLD OLD standard antenna can get me 7 without much issue its just that the min is a cloud in the sky they come in & out to the point many times cant watch an entire show without at least one black out. Only thing I do know for sure is that the PR8800 I have installed now isnt pointed to anything. In Denver Most stations are at either 120 area or 220 and he left the ant faceing north 0 south 180 instead of pointing it in either direction which probably explains some of the in out crud been going thru. Yes. Installs Inc should be accountable for the subs they use & some of the subs out there do outstanding work but at same time some of the subs have what I call a pisspoor work ethic when it comes to doing a good job they would honestly stand behind and instead choose to just slap the stuff up, see your getting a signal and then telling you be thankfull you get that and take off.

Edit: Actually does InstallInc have any sort of Quality control set up. By that I mean do they have ppl that spot check the sub installs? If not then maybe initiating some sort of Random Check of installer work might improve things alot Sub wise. If they never know what or which Job might get checked it would, I think, cause shoddy installer subs to pay more attention to the quality of their work. Maybe like if one inspect fails they get an advisory, 2 bad/sloppy installs a warning and 3 bad within a certain time frame and their pulled from sub list. Just another silly idea on my part probably but Good installers wouldnt mind QC I'd think and bad installers could get weeded out of the system via this or a simular measure.

TYORK said:
Thanks for the info i am doing everything i can to make sure that they get you taking care of by at least Saturday.

t

I have been quietly reading the forum and all the help you give. Although I have never needed your help let me say that you are truely an asset to this forum as well as to Voom. You go above and beyond the call of duty and to that you should be commended. Thank you.

Bob

It would be nice if something could be worked out where people could upgrade the antenna themselves and have the cost of the antenna taken off their Voom bill if they've tried to get Voom to upgrade it for them and failed.

I just bought my own and put it up, I figured since antennas aren't very expensive, and it's something I can use even if Voom doesn't survive. But I know a lot of people don't have the time to mess with it.

Installs Inc is an absolute joke is right, no matter what some people around here say or try and sugar cote. I live in buffalo 5 mintues from Idiots inc and know alot about them. And before anyone trys saying im some sour grapes ex installer, well i am an EX, but due to my dumping all the BS and aggravation that is Installs.

As said by some, that Idiots inc is weeding out installers, you are correct, weeding out the good ones because they all quit. If their installs are so good why have i personally done 2 dtv installs for dispatchers that bought through different companys, just for the reason that they didn't want Installs doing their work??

I know of 4 top notch installers who quit shortly after Amerilink company was swallowed up by installs. One of which was the field manager for Amerilink. Installs has one "field manager" who covers like 6 states, what good is a "phone manager" whos 2 states away? Every one of these installers have 20+ years experience from cband,primestar, globcast to todays setups and all left due to the incompetence of installs.
Alot of the problems here ( not all ) are not solely the subs fault, i first hand heard customers tell me the BS installs made up to cover their own ass's. When confronting supervisors at installs over this crap, their excuse was what a high rate of turnover they have in dispatch.

Couple other quick things for those who think they are stuck with using installs, Vooms site has a search function to find a local dealer, all local dealers i know , do their own installs, not sub.

For all of you who think the people that Idiots Inc send to your home are trained professioals, LOL heres some insight, when techs were brought on, installs said they would have you fill out a "skills" set that would allow you to check off things you are qualified or comfortable in doing. Most of our guys were only certified in sat installs, but it didn't stop Installs inc from sending and basically mandating them to do plasma and hometheater installs, Make you feel comfortable knowing your $4000 plasma is being installed by a guy who never hooked one up in his life and was told basically to "wing" it? It happens everyday with them.

Sorry for the rant, but i've been doing this type of work for over 25 years and long time reader here and just cant stand all the BS being spewed over how good installs is.

PS for buffalo area folks, the last i knew , installs had one college kid left doing their work locally, who under his own admittance to me, never did any work like this in his life , but was enjoying making $80 for just over an hours work. ( you guys should definitely look local for dealers )

Voom is a great setup, just Idiots Inc doing installs and service calls for them is KILLING THEM. :eek:

bratboy said:
While I do think Install Inc needs to be maybe a bit more decerning(sp) on who they allow to sub for em I tend to blame the Subs more than the main company as they are the ones standing ppl up or refusing to come check problems with their installs. Or, like in the case above the Sub tells inc a diffrent Fairytale from what was actually the case to CYA themselves. Heck my origonal installer flat out refused to do anything upgradewise or to even send someone out to look over what was done to see if an easy correction or a defective combiner/splitter may be the culpret. When I spoke to the origonal sub about ant upgrade, after already spoke with Voom and was authorized one, I was told "well your only supposed to get 3 channels" which boggles the mind since, as long as weathers nice my OLD OLD standard antenna can get me 7 without much issue its just that the min is a cloud in the sky they come in & out to the point many times cant watch an entire show without at least one black out. Only thing I do know for sure is that the PR8800 I have installed now isnt pointed to anything. In Denver Most stations are at either 120 area or 220 and he left the ant faceing north 0 south 180 instead of pointing it in either direction which probably explains some of the in out crud been going thru. Yes. Installs Inc should be accountable for the subs they use & some of the subs out there do outstanding work but at same time some of the subs have what I call a pisspoor work ethic when it comes to doing a good job they would honestly stand behind and instead choose to just slap the stuff up, see your getting a signal and then telling you be thankfull you get that and take off.

Edit: Actually does InstallInc have any sort of Quality control set up. By that I mean do they have ppl that spot check the sub installs? If not then maybe initiating some sort of Random Check of installer work might improve things alot Sub wise. If they never know what or which Job might get checked it would, I think, cause shoddy installer subs to pay more attention to the quality of their work. Maybe like if one inspect fails they get an advisory, 2 bad/sloppy installs a warning and 3 bad within a certain time frame and their pulled from sub list. Just another silly idea on my part probably but Good installers wouldnt mind QC I'd think and bad installers could get weeded out of the system via this or a simular measure.

Bratboy ,

I have to say i totally agree with you when it come to the installer , INSTALLS INC are pay these guys to do what they are suppose to professtional installer, but that is not what is happen alot of the company do it when they want to and when i comes to a service call it put on the back burner. One good way to do this is post who these guys are call INSTALLS INC let them know and if you not happy with that ask for the Field manager number or/and emails and report these guys to them.

and for the second part of you question.

Yes INSTALLS INC does have Quailty Control I am not sure they they have got every state set up yet but i know they have it cause i am the one for the state of INDIANA and I am not bragging but we have a very few problems here. But believe me when i started do it last March it was a mess. but for the most part all the bad apples are gone from around here every now i have a new one that wants to try me but they change real quick when i start backcharge them cause they half A$$ something i will not put up with it just ask them they hate to get a phone call from me and they really hate it when they don't put in a ground block that cost us about 28 cents and i charge them $20.00 at least to put it in. SO YES INSTALLS DOES HAVE QC .

tyork

BuffMan said:
Installs Inc is an absolute joke is right, no matter what some people around here say or try and sugar cote. I live in buffalo 5 mintues from Idiots inc and know alot about them. And before anyone trys saying im some sour grapes ex installer, well i am an EX, but due to my dumping all the BS and aggravation that is Installs.

As said by some, that Idiots inc is weeding out installers, you are correct, weeding out the good ones because they all quit. If their installs are so good why have i personally done 2 dtv installs for dispatchers that bought through different companys, just for the reason that they didn't want Installs doing their work??

I know of 4 top notch installers who quit shortly after Amerilink company was swallowed up by installs. One of which was the field manager for Amerilink. Installs has one "field manager" who covers like 6 states, what good is a "phone manager" whos 2 states away? Every one of these installers have 20+ years experience from cband,primestar, globcast to todays setups and all left due to the incompetence of installs.
Alot of the problems here ( not all ) are not solely the subs fault, i first hand heard customers tell me the BS installs made up to cover their own ass's. When confronting supervisors at installs over this crap, their excuse was what a high rate of turnover they have in dispatch.

Couple other quick things for those who think they are stuck with using installs, Vooms site has a search function to find a local dealer, all local dealers i know , do their own installs, not sub.

For all of you who think the people that Idiots Inc send to your home are trained professioals, LOL heres some insight, when techs were brought on, installs said they would have you fill out a "skills" set that would allow you to check off things you are qualified or comfortable in doing. Most of our guys were only certified in sat installs, but it didn't stop Installs inc from sending and basically mandating them to do plasma and hometheater installs, Make you feel comfortable knowing your $4000 plasma is being installed by a guy who never hooked one up in his life and was told basically to "wing" it? It happens everyday with them.

Sorry for the rant, but i've been doing this type of work for over 25 years and long time reader here and just cant stand all the BS being spewed over how good installs is.

PS for buffalo area folks, the last i knew , installs had one college kid left doing their work locally, who under his own admittance to me, never did any work like this in his life , but was enjoying making $80 for just over an hours work. ( you guys should definitely look local for dealers )

Voom is a great setup, just Idiots Inc doing installs and service calls for them is KILLING THEM. :eek:

I have to say to totally disagree with you on this i came from Amerilink to and i have made more money working with INSTALLS Inc then i ever did with Amerilink there were good people but they were hardly anywork at the end.

Was JEFF YUKIE you field manager?

And all you have to do is tell them you don't do plasma and home theather and they will not send them to you> YES they want everyone to learn how to do them but it is not a mandatory thing. So i have to say that lies on you guy for continuing to accept the work that you could not do.

tyork

ram1220 said:
I have been quietly reading the forum and all the help you give. Although I have never needed your help let me say that you are truely an asset to this forum as well as to Voom. You go above and beyond the call of duty and to that you should be commended. Thank you.

Bob

Thanks and your Welcome

tyork

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)