Is Voom PQ really better than DirecTV?

hypokondriak

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
I've had Voom for one day now, and still have DirecTV... It seems that the general opinion is that Voom is better, but I am not sure if I completely agree. It seems in still shots the PQ definitely is better, but whenever there is fast paced action on screen it gets SUPER blocky. I notice this even on the DiscoveryHD channel splash video (the one with the boxes that zoom in and out advertising Discovery HD).

Is there a reason for this? Something I should change?

hypokondriak said:
I've had Voom for one day now, and still have DirecTV... It seems that the general opinion is that Voom is better, but I am not sure if I completely agree. It seems in still shots the PQ definitely is better, but whenever there is fast paced action on screen it gets SUPER blocky. I notice this even on the DiscoveryHD channel splash video (the one with the boxes that zoom in and out advertising Discovery HD).

Is there a reason for this? Something I should change?

Uh, it used to be... ;) It appears Voom is going through a period where they

1. are still "tweaking" the new encoders
2. added a bunch of new channels and now don't have enough bandwidth to maintain good PQ without motion artifacts until they find more bandwidth
3. all of the above

Last night and today have been the worst I've seen it. Scott said Voom engineers and Harmonic engineers (makers of the encoders) are working on the problem so hopefully it's temporary.

As to (2.) They had bandwidth to spare, before they added the recent salvo of channels. Its due to the new encoders.

This just kills me. In one thread we have timfouts screaming that Voom is second only to C- band and ranks D* dead last :

timfouts said:
With my 20/15 eyes the order is this way: Voom, followed by Directv and Dish tied. I showed it all to my tv repair guy. I didn't tell him what was what. He said the same thing. I have some friends over in the 4DTV forum. They have said the same thing.

and in another thread we have a staff member saying Voom is no better than Directv:

BFG said:
ther are roughly the same

Thats rich.:rolleyes:

My display is the JVC 52" DILA. I think in low movement scene the picture quality is better, just in action / high movement it really seems to suffer... to an extent that definitely wasn't viewable with DirecTV. I'd probably rate them even too because of this.

Sounds temporary - good.

vurbano said:
This just kills me. In one thread we have timfouts screaming that Voom is second only to C- band and ranks D* dead last :

and in another thread we have a staff member saying Voom is no better than Directv:

Thats rich.:rolleyes:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For all thee Voom'er out there I hope they get their act together, if they don't all I can say is "welcome to the world the rest of us live in".

I have to say Voom is better that D*, I had D* for 8 years, with a Big Screen TV I got my HDTV and wasn't happy until I tried V* I know there working on their system, but I still like most of the channels better than D*,
D* will be adding 1500 local channels by July, So you can imagine what that is going to do to their PQ.
But you don't need to ask us if you have both running, You can switch from one input to the other and compare real fast. Just remember in July the 1 buck offer won't be around when D* goes to chit.

Same here. 7 years with Dish, now a happy Voomer. PQ on most channels is noticeably better on Voom, particularly on SD channels. More noticeable on a larger screen LCD or plasma.

Also the Voom exclusive programming is a breath of fresh air. I had stopped watching TV with Dish (other than news). With Voom I haven't watched the news for a while:) It is really good :yes

The PQ on Voom used to be superior to D and E. This was until the new encoders went online. Now I'd have to say D and E have better PQ than Voom. Voom does look good when the picture is still. Add any movement and Voom PQ goes down the crapper. Voom has given us a version of HD Lite that even D couldn't imagine. We are told that Voom is working on this PQ problem. I don't believe it anymore. They are just blowing smoke at us. This "tweaking" is now going on 4 weeks and the PQ still sucks. I don't know what the Voom engineers are "tweaking" but it's sure not the new encoders. My DVD's look better than Voom's HD.

PQ is a touchy subject. However I still have to say VOOM is still the best. Also it depends on your settings. As for DVD's looking better than VOOM.... I would have to say buy a new tv, the HD picture is by far the best i have ever seen.

ram1220 said:
The PQ on Voom used to be superior to D and E. This was until the new encoders went online. Now I'd have to say D and E have better PQ than Voom. Voom does look good when the picture is still. Add any movement and Voom PQ goes down the crapper. Voom has given us a version of HD Lite that even D couldn't imagine. We are told that Voom is working on this PQ problem. I don't believe it anymore. They are just blowing smoke at us. This "tweaking" is now going on 4 weeks and the PQ still sucks. I don't know what the Voom engineers are "tweaking" but it's sure not the new encoders. My DVD's look better than Voom's HD.

This is my sentiment as well. Voom PQ used to be better than D* before the new encoder went online. Now it is exactly as the OP described. BTW, I have D* for 10 years and still have it just in case Voom would not make it. Voom, please bring back the PQ as before the new encoder!!!!!!!

As of last night on most channels I checked, the PQ is close to being normal (as in before the new encoder). At least on my setup (a Panny plasma and an Olevia LCD TV)

mudpup2003 said:
PQ is a touchy subject. However I still have to say VOOM is still the best. Also it depends on your settings. As for DVD's looking better than VOOM.... I would have to say buy a new tv, the HD picture is by far the best i have ever seen.

There's nothing wrong with my TV. The problem lies with Voom. I had Voom installed March 10, 2004 using the same TV I have now. The PQ when I was installed was fantastic. Looked 3D and like I was looking through an open window. The PQ on Voom now looks like crap. Last night I went to Blockbuster and rented Ladder 49. I watched it on the same TV with my progressive scan DVD player. Picture was crisp and there were NO motion artifacts. The DVD movie looked much better than any HD on Voom since the new encoders.
Maybe you accept mediocre PQ. If so you and the newbies that are loving the new Voom quantity over quality are just the customer Voom wants. They know you will pay for subpar PQ because you have all the SD channels. I will not accept it. I will continue to be vocal until Voom gives us the PQ that we are paying them good money for. I will not follow the new flock and accept the crap that Voom is giving us just so they can add new SD channels. Just because the picture fills my screen does not make it HD.

ram1220 said:
Maybe you accept mediocre PQ. I will continue to be vocal until Voom gives us the PQ that we are paying them good money for. I will not follow the new flock and accept the crap that Voom is giving us just so they can add new SD channels. Just because the picture fills my screen does not make it HD.

Right on HD brother. :cool:

"There is nothing wrong with your TV, do not attempt to adjust it. We control the vertical, we control the horizontal, we control the contrast, we control the brightness, we control the compression". Sound familiar? Yikes! We are being fed the Outer Limits of Voom.

Gutter and ram1220, I'm with you guys, that makes 3 of us now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts