Is your 811 not that "clear"? + Poll

Diamond Dog

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
I have read a ton of posts regarding the "dark" issue with the 811. Luckily, I havent experienced that.

However I have seemd to notice that the picture on non-HD channels is not as clear. Sometime it just seems downright blurry. I had Direct TV before with Sony receivers and it seemed like the picture used to be so much clearer. maybe its all in my head. They HD channels are simply awesome though!!!

I have the 811 hooked up via DVI cable to a Sony 51" trinitron rear projection Television. I have the sharpness setting on the TV turned all the way up. I have it set to "standard mode" (you also can select Pro or Movie or Vivid).

I'll put up a poll as well for fun.

I have my 811 hooked up through DVI to my TV. The dark video problem that I experience is through composite and S-video, and it's darker through those connection than through DVI. But I've read post from other's that say their DVI connection is where they have the dark video issue. Maybe some 811 receivers work fine, some are dark on composite/s-video, and others are dark on DVI. Just a thought!

I've also noticed your problem, but it's not an 811 problem. After looking at a HD channel everything will look blurry. I've made side with other recivers (2700,2800,301,501) and the blurriness is still there. It's what we've being missing for years, HDTV!

I know, I was just stating that not everyone apperantly has the dark video issue, thats all. I just didn't think about commenting on the perticular issue you were asking about.

I would agree with WJ, the clarity problem isn't the 811, I believe what you are seeing is the effects of compression, my 301's and 811 all have a SD picture quality or "clarity" difference (from DTV) especially on my HDTV (Some, not all programming, movies etc. are Ok, the places I see it the most is news channels, nasa, public stations, locals). When I first switched from DTV a year and a half ago I saw a difference in the picture on the same TV. I haven't really found anyway around it other than I guess I've gotten use to it.

Diamond Dog said:
I have the 811 hooked up via DVI cable to a Sony 51" trinitron rear projection Television. I have the sharpness setting on the TV turned all the way up.

Every guide I have read for getting the best picture always recommend turning sharpness way down. Especially for compressed signals like E*. A high setting will likely emphasize compression artifacts, while a low setting will help soften them.

snathanb said:
Every guide I have read for getting the best picture always recommend turning sharpness way down. Especially for compressed signals like E*. A high setting will likely emphasize compression artifacts, while a low setting will help soften them.

Well if you have HDNet and can get up early in the morning there is a program that can help tune your HD receiver. I have been meaning to do this some day but I cannot get up that early. Check your guide.

In component video, with P266, I'm content with my darkness issues and as has been said previously, after watching HD for a few hours, everything else looks fuzzy. :)

I'm "okay" with the clarity on the 811. I think it's a bit lower than my 5000 was, but it's tolerable.

snathanb said:

You are absolutely right do a forum search for sharpness or contrast and it will tell you the exactly same thing. My picture with E* was horrible until I followed those instructions and I have the best quality picture I could ever hope for. Bob

I have the 46" Sony 500 rear projection TV. If I set my 811 to output 1080i, then my SD channels look a little too "smooth", or perhaps not clear as you say. But if I set my 811 to 480p, then my SD channels look good. The unfortunate part is that using the 1080i setting on the 811 makes the HD channels look a little better than the 480P setting. I haven't messed with my Sharpness setting and I have the color mode on the TV set to "Movie".

Dark Picture

I have my 811 hooked up to a Hitachi 57S500 with a DVI cable. The picture is fantastic on either HD or SD. Rear projection CRT's are naturally better at creating true blacks and deep colors because they don't use a bulb for projection and they don't have the problem of diffusing stray light. What you condiser dark, some may consider rich color. Also, "Digital Video Essentials" calibration DVD does recommend you turn the sharpness all the way down for best picture.

I have never noticed the dark issue with my 811 and also seem to think heavy HD watching tends to make any SD look fuzzy. Maybe its just me, but as pointed out in another thread my 811 is weird because I haven't had any of the issues noted with other 811 users.

Diamond Dog said:
I
I have the 811 hooked up via DVI cable to a Sony 51" trinitron rear projection Television. I have the sharpness setting on the TV turned all the way up. I have it set to "standard mode" (you also can select Pro or Movie or Vivid).

You NEED to get a copy of Sound & Vision, DVE or Avia. A properly set up TV will improve your picture tremendously...
http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/showthread.php?t=1440

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)