Is your Dish grounded?

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Is your Dish grounded using a ground wire?

How many of you out there Have a ground wire connected to your Dish? GO look. I started this poll just to see what the numbers are. If you do not have one I would advise calling your local codes compliance office at city hall and ask if one is required by your local electrical code. I know Ive had 2 sat installs done without one.

vurbano said:
How many of you out there Have a ground wire connected to your Dish? GO look. I started this poll just to see what the numbers are. If you do not have one I would advise calling your local codes compliance office at city hall and ask if one is required by your local electrical code. I know Ive had 2 sat installs done without one.

We need a permit just to have a dish, but the city never really bothers you about getting one.. I rather not call them and give myself up..

fastfed said:
We need a permit just to have a dish, but the city never really bothers you about getting one.. I rather not call them and give myself up..
ASk to speak to an electrical codes inspector and just ask. whats the harm in that? Could save you bucks if your house burns and insurance refuses to pay because of the dish not being properly grounded?

Actually the Voom installer pointed out my recently installed D* dish wasn't grounded. It took them 2 more trips to get it to meet code.

Mine is grounded. We live right by a golf course, and lightning is common in Colorado. Just yesterday, a guy was on a driving range and the clouds were starting to build. The warning from the weather service came 30 seconds AFTER a man and his son were hit with the first lightning strike, and the guy was dead on arrival at the hospital. Lightning can come at any time, and is sometimes impossible to predict.

vurbano said:
ASk to speak to an electrical codes inspector and just ask. whats the harm in that? Could save you bucks if your house burns and insurance refuses to pay because of the dish not being properly grounded?

I live in S FL. And I can bet we more lightning than anywhere, and he still did not ground the actuall Dish..

well, maybe he did, but it was not a seperate wire, it was part of the spliter. He grounded it into the electrical box..

And if my house burns down because of the dish, I will get a nice chuck of Voom!

fastfed said:
I live in S FL. And I can bet we more lightning than anywhere, and he still did not ground the actuall Dish..

well, maybe he did, but it was not a seperate wire, it was part of the spliter. He grounded it into the electrical box..

And if my house burns down because of the dish, I will get a nice chuck of Voom!
I doubt it. But you might get something out of the install company if they are still in business.

nobody installed a ground on my dish nor my antenna so when i hooked up the rotar to my antenna and added 5ft to the height i grounded everything every multiswitch splitter diplexer using 6 gauge copper wire the installer said i didnt need it cause my neighbors antennas are higher than mine well i figure better safe than sorry

No. In fact, I put my signature on the installers paper stating that I dinied the ground cable. He would have had to mount the dish in a totally different location to use a ground. Beside, my OTA antenna is much higher from the ground than the dish. It is more likely to get hit than the dish.

Yes,mine is grounded. But I ground every dish or antenna I've installed. It's a piece of mind for me.

Voom setup was installed by me,all installer did was call to activate.He never reached for any tools.

Lightning is very unpredictable!! (as The Stone Man mentioned)

I would rather have my home,than a chunk of voom.

After 6 service calls, Voom finally grounded my antenna. :) The dish still isn't grounded. I wonder if it would be worth another service call to ground it?

-John

I do not have the dish itself grounded, though lightning strikes in my county about twice a year. The cables are, however, grounded on a standard ground block. This will still shunt anything to ground, and at worst, smoke the dish and the cable to the ground block. This is standard, and this is what most codes require.

My dish is grounded to NEC and local codes, all the satellite systems I have installed are done to the same standards........or I do not install. (its the law! and I have to follow it to keep my licenses)

PSB said:
My dish is grounded to NEC and local codes, all the satellite systems I have installed are done to the same standards........or I do not install. (its the law! and I have to follow it to keep my licenses)

Kind of like Sammy Hagar. I'll bet that guy wishes he could get away with driving 55...

I'm not sure what to vote. The question asks if a ground wire is attached to the dish. In my case the answer is no. There is a ground wire connected to the diplexor/combiner. I am wondering if that is good enough?

Not to code! There should be a cable running all the way to the dish (from ground block)and attched to a small green ground screw on the dish mast! Vote No, then call the installer and tell them you will reprint their name here unless they come round and add the ground wire! Tell them they are putting your family at risk and if they dont do it you will put their job at risk! They are taking work away from honest companies who work within the law......do not let these scum endanger you or your family......not to mention your entire system!!!!!!

You know I never looked at my VOOM Dish to see if it was grounded or not. Also now that I am thinking about it they mounted my Stealth Antenna on its own seperate mount. I wonder if thats grounded as well.

Another plus, the better the ground is the better and more stable the signal will be! Its a win win situation, unless the install cant be done because of no legal grounding point! When I worked with the local DirecTV HSP, no ground = no install, and since I now have two state licenses (MN.) I follow the same rule, you have to wonder why so many installs are not done to code (cheaper/ faster) I take exception to being ripped off with anything, especially when they have been paid to do the job right, first time! Not to mention the risk to property and life........its just not worth not grounding!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)