Is Your Home Media Working on Hopper/Joey?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Is Your Home Media Working on Hopper/Joey?

• No. Your Home Media does not see your server and you are using direct ethernet connection to Hopper.

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • No. Your Home Media does not see your server and you are using a HIC.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yes. Your Home Media sees your server and you are using direct ethernet connection to Hopper.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Yes. Your Home Media sees your server and you are using a HIC.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Other (Please post information)

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters

android_04

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Midwest
Please answer so we can get a definite answer whether the HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) is needed to stream using the Home Media app.

I've had it working but it has lost access to my computer server. This has happened twice. I am using Tversity as the server. I've restaqted the software and sometimes it fixes the problem and other times it earches for devices. When it works it does work great. I don't think the problem is with the hopper but with Tversity.

Dish Network rolled out an update a couple of days ago and Home Media is working.

Those of you using other software may wish to look at PS3 Media Server. I've tested about every DLNA compliant server out there and have found it to be the best. It's freeware and you don't have to have a PS3 to use it. PS3 Media Server is fast, does not put a huge load on your processor and does not build a huge database every time you open it or add files to the directories you are sharing. Best of all there are both Windows and Linux versions of the program.

From what I can tell, it looks like the Hopper can't read a lot of file formats. It doesn't seem to like .avi unless the video has been encoded in mp4 format. My guess is that Dish Network hasn't negotiated a license with DIVX, Microsoft, or Apple yet and has never heard of XVID.

Anyway, you may need to convert your video files in .mp4 format. If you do, there are two freeware applications you can use. The first is HandBrake and the second one is called Freemake Video Converter, both are freeware. They can be found on FileHippo.com and MajorGeeks.com.

Freemake Video Converter supports a lot of file formats, will natively do batch conversions of files but, only runs under Windows... unless you can figure out how to get .NET 4.0 installed in Linux that is.

HandBrake has a Linux version and will also do batch conversion of files but, will take a lot of mouse clicks to do so. There is a Windows version and someone has created a utility called "HandBrake Encoder v1.0" to fix that problem under Windows; however, I haven't used it yet. Again, if you can get .NET 4.0 to install you can try and use the Windows version under Linux for easier batch processing of files.

I recommend Windows users stick with Freemake Video Converter and Linux users the Linux version of HandBrake. Hope this helps.

Just got the new Hopper with sling and Joey system installed. I have the Hopper wired to my ethernet and the Joey connected to the HIC Cable only. The hopper found my Playon media server immediately and so far works well with Playon plugins/scripts, I have not tried local media. The Joey will not play the media server from the hopper without an ethernet cable attached. Since I want to use Playon on the Joey, I'm wiring the joey up with cat 5e and will disconnect the HIC cable as it will be no longer needed (worked fine in a test). Not sure if any usb wifi adapter will work but I'm going the faster wire route. I have not tried out the sling yet but will do soon. Thanks for the great forums, long time reader, first time poster. PS. The installer said the new Hopper w/sling seemed much faster to him and better software then the hoppers of last week.

Just got the new Hopper with sling and Joey system installed. I have the Hopper wired to my ethernet and the Joey connected to the HIC Cable only. The hopper found my Playon media server immediately and so far works well with Playon plugins/scripts, I have not tried local media. The Joey will not play the media server from the hopper without an ethernet cable attached. Since I want to use Playon on the Joey, I'm wiring the joey up with cat 5e and will disconnect the HIC cable as it will be no longer needed (worked fine in a test). Not sure if any usb wifi adapter will work but I'm going the faster wire route. I have not tried out the sling yet but will do soon. Thanks for the great forums, long time reader, first time poster. PS. The installer said the new Hopper w/sling seemed much faster to him and better software then the hoppers of last week.

You could just share the Hopper connection with Joeys via Bridging. Go to the Hopper Broadband menu, select Moca from the red drop down and then press the blue key on the remote 2X. The open the bridging option that will appear on the right. Choose Enable then save and then the Hopper will pass the full IP to the Joey. That will allow you to use pandora, Facebook and home media sharing on the Joey without a direct connection to the Joey.

I voted other since my HWS does see my Playon server, it just doesn't play videos from it most of the time and on most of the 'channels' that Playon has.

I've tested the network and all is fine. My BluRay player and PS3 see and use the Playon streams just fine, as does my iPad. This seems odd since Playon is specifically mentioned by Dish as being supported.

I have a new hopper w/sling and a joey. I'm able to play some mpeg4 and mpeg2 movies on both receivers. i do not have a HIC. I have the hopper connected to my router and the joey thru moca. I'm using a 750gb usb ntfs drive connected to my router and the hopper and joey see my movies on the drive. I dare not change any settings on the hopper cause it took me forever to get this far. my problems are, the hopper wont see all of the folders on the drive, regardless if i change the name of the folders, it just shows the same ones (5-6 folders). I cannot ffwd on some of the movies. for a while i couldnt stop the movie playing, but some how that got fixed (could be my router, tho i can see everything on the drive with my pc's, tablets etc.)

I have a Mac and have successfully used both the PS3 server and TVMobili (also free). My Hopper has a wired connection to my Ethernet hub. The Joey gets its signal via the Hopper using bridging. I have no HIC. I have no problems with DLNA, although the only things I have streamed are MP4.

Home Media works but ever since the last update ThERE IS NO SOUND. I really need sounds to watch my recordings on my PC. Everything was working perfectly. Even with PLayOn streaming.

Has Not been working with Serviio and choppy with PS3 Media Server. Tonight I installed Plex on my N40L 2011 WHS and it seems to be working. See's all my MKV 1080p files. Hitting Stop works but when try to ff it goes to the next movie. I am just happy not to have to exit the hopper for another device.

Mike

Wifi connected Hopper, wifi connected Joey, and wifi connected Hopper w/ sling sees Netgear Readyshare, Serviio, and PS3 Media player fine. Usually hangs when trying to access Serviio and requires a reboot before I can see any media servers again. Netgear readyshare directly form my router has never had issues.

Still having best luck with TVMOBILI, but using the DIRECTV profile instead of the Hopper/Joey Profile instead.

Its strange but everything plays this way, but not when I use the Hopper / Joey profile.

I have my Hopper connected to my network by 802.11 wireless and I can see content on my Windows 7 Pro desktop, but it does not always recognize the format of some content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)