Issue with 722K and Sony AV receiver

Centex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Waco, TX
Hey guys, I am having an issue between my 722k and my Sony AV receiver. I have an STR-DH800. They are connected via HDMI. I also have a Samsung Blu-ray player connected to the same AV receiver.

It may be a setting issue, but when I am watching the local news, I get no sound out of the Center Channel Speaker. When I am watching a movie on HBO or a Blu Ray, it plays fine. But when watching local news, and probably some other stuff, I get no center sound, Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks for your help!

The issue is the switch between Dolby 5.1 which uses the center channel and pro-logic is is basically just stereo. On my STR-925 there is a configuration option to mix mid-frequencies and push them out the center channel.

I tried it and it worked but the left/right isolation almost disappeared and I might as well been listening to mono.

Pro-Logic is just sent in 2 channels so there is no center channel information so your CC Speaker will be dead or very muted (depending on how your receiver handles it).

You'll be able to also see if if you got something like HBO HD 5.1 and then switch to something like AMC or TCM that only broadcast in 2 channel pro-logic.

Not an issue with the DVR but the way the broadcasters are sending the audio. The fix, if any, has to be on the receiver side and most AV companies just say the heck with it. They will output what they are given.

Okay, but on pro-logic mode, the receiver works; it outputs the center channel. I know it is pulling info from lft and right, but it works. On some broadcasts--some commercials and my local news, the center channel is silent. The receiver acts like it is receiving DD, but with missing information.

I thought it might have to do with the Dolby Digital Settings on the 722k.

Maybe your receiver isn't in pro-logic then. I know my STR-925 will briefly display the audio mode when the input changes Eg DTS, Dolby 5.1, ProLogic, etc.

Look at the display (it only stays on for about 5 seconds) and see what it's showing when the center channel goes out. I also have a blue bar above the display that will light when any of the formats that it's decoding result in 5.1. I went to Crutchfield to look up your model and it looks like you don't have that shinning clue on yours. I'm curious if there is something on the display that will tell you.

Do you hear a click when it switches modes, mine does but that probably because it's pretty old. Looks like a very nice receiver. Let me dig around in it's manual and see what I can find. I'm pretty much a Samsung TV and Sony AV snob! :)

Hey, see if there is a way to put it into Prologic IIx mode...

Enhanced Surround Mode: The enhanced surround mode allows you to listen to higher fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel sound. You can choose from the following:
  • Dolby Pro Logic: Center and mono surround information is matrixed into two stereo channels. When reproduced, audio is decoded and output in 4 channel surround sound.
  • Dolby Pro Logic II: Dolby Pro Logic II technology processes any high quality stereo (two-channel) movie and music audio into five playback channels of full-bandwidth surround sound. A matrix surround decoding technology, Dolby Pro Logic II detects the directional cues that occur naturally in stereo content and uses these elements to create a five-channel surround sound playback experience. You can choose from the following Dolby Pro Logic II formats - Movie or Music.
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Pro Logic IIx expands any existing stereo- or 5.1-channel audio for a 6.1- or 7.1- channel playback, creating a seamless, natural surround soundfield that immerses you in the entertainment experience. You can choose from the following Dolby Pro Logic IIx formats - Movie or Music.

Hey, see if there is a way to put it into Prologic IIx mode...

Enhanced Surround Mode: The enhanced surround mode allows you to listen to higher fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel sound. You can choose from the following:
  • Dolby Pro Logic: Center and mono surround information is matrixed into two stereo channels. When reproduced, audio is decoded and output in 4 channel surround sound.
  • Dolby Pro Logic II: Dolby Pro Logic II technology processes any high quality stereo (two-channel) movie and music audio into five playback channels of full-bandwidth surround sound. A matrix surround decoding technology, Dolby Pro Logic II detects the directional cues that occur naturally in stereo content and uses these elements to create a five-channel surround sound playback experience. You can choose from the following Dolby Pro Logic II formats - Movie or Music.
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Pro Logic IIx expands any existing stereo- or 5.1-channel audio for a 6.1- or 7.1- channel playback, creating a seamless, natural surround soundfield that immerses you in the entertainment experience. You can choose from the following Dolby Pro Logic IIx formats - Movie or Music.

I've been using Dolby Pro Logic IIx on my Sony STR-DG910 since I recently installed my new 6.1 Take Classic speakers (system is 5.1, but I added a duplicate center as a rear surround). It works like a charm on a variety of input signals. I would use that for everything except a blu-ray player when I get one.

BTW, I think that both this Sony receiver and the Take Classic speakers are fantastic values for someone like me that needs to watch the cash at the moment.

Is there a way to set which mode it is going to use?

On my Sony, it determines which mode to be in based on what it receiving. If it receives 2 channel, it outputs in Pro Logic. If it receives multi-channel, it outputs in Dolby Digital 3/2.1. If it receives Linear PCM, it ourputs LPCM.

The issue I am having is when I watch the local news the Sony acts like it is receiving Dolby Digital. The display reads Dolby Digital 3/2.1, and I can hear sound out of the Left and right front speakers, but the Center speaker is silent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts