Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
Whenever I tune to an Encore channel, I get this message on screen:

"Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program"

The issue with that is that I AM watching with component cables. I have posted previously about weird lines that are very faint but annoying once you notice them that scroll up the screen when using HDMI. The HDMI is still hooked up and when I switch to that, the message remains, but when I switch back to component, the Encore channels work again until the receiver powers off then I have to do the switch and switch-back again.

Does anyone else have this issue?

It's been an ongoing issue for a while with the premium channels. I have only heard of it on HBO to this point.

OK, in your case the message is misleading. The suppliers of premium movie channels (HBO, encore etc) are requiring the enforcement of the HDCP copy protection protocol over HDMI. This means that if a receiver is connected via HDMI and that link fails the HDCP protocol check, you will see this message. With this strange situation you have, with both HDMI and component cables connected to the SAME TV, you're getting HDCP failures under some circumstances hence the message. You will need to disconnect the HDMI cable when you are using component, you can't use them both to the same TV.

Thanks for actually reading ejb1980s post, I obviously didn't! :)

The exact wiring is as follows: from the HR24 to the Denon with component (and digital coax for audio) then from the Denon to the TV with HDMI and then directly from the HR24 to the TV with HDMI, if that matters. I guess it doesn't really need to be connected twice.

Last edited:
As texasbrt stated, you want to kill that HDMI directly to the tv. Pull it out of the tv and the HR-24. I only use composite for audio on an old composite video switchbox to run my VIP 722k (Dish) to a small stereo. (Roku, VIP 722k, Wii, and front cord for my cell phone or IPod) Anyway, you might want to chek and see if that Denon to tv with HDMI might be screwing up your HDCP issue. I would guess it wouldn't considering the HR-24 is reading component.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)