Issues with my new installation today. Advice?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bryanmf

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
I am currently an E* customer and today between Noon - 4pm I was scheduled to switch over to DirecTV.

I had ordered a 3 HD-DVR system. Obviously one of the receivers I am getting free and the other two I paid 199.00 for each. After doing some reading I assumed that I would be getting the SWM setup and most likely the HR22 or HR23 receivers. I also noticed on my service order it listed an OTA Antenna install as well. So I assume that meant that I was also getting the AM-21 modules for the HRXX receivers.

Fast forward to 7pm. The installer finally shows up and we start talking. He was planning on doing the SWM install with 3 Refurbished HR-20 receivers. Not good. I understand that I wouldn't need the AM2-21 modules but with the reduced hard drive space and issues have I read about online with the HR-20s that did not sit well with me. I also asked about the OTA install on my work order and he had no idea about that either. Said they don't even stock the AM-21 modules nor do they sell OTA Antennas. Ok. Darn.

I asked if he could just do the install now with the refurb'd HR-20s and when he gets the new boxes in then just come swap them out. That wasn't an option.

So we rescheduled the install for next Thursday. He is hoping to get the HR-22 or 23s in by that date. He is also asking his supervisor about my service order regarding the OTA install.

If I were just getting the free HD-DVR receiver and that is it, I guess I would have just settled for the HR-20. But since I am dropping over 400.00 for the additional two that I think I should be able to wait it out for the newer models. I currently have 3 Dish HD-DVR boxes, the VIP 722, 622 and 612. The 622 has a 320 GB hard drive similar to the HR20 and HR21 and I am constantly having to delete stuff.

I assume that I made the right call to wait for the new boxes? If I had just went ahead with the install today, I assumed that I wouldn't be able to upgrade to the newer receivers through D* immediately??

Also, what about the OTA antenna install? Has anyone heard of this before? If I were to put an OTA antenna on the roof next to the Dish, could the OTA be diplexed in with the SWM setup so that I could have OTA on all 3 HD-DVR Receivers instead of having a individual indoor OTA antenna at each TV? Installer said that wasn't possible with the SWM and HD receivers.

Anyway... Just checking if there is anything else I should watch out for or ask about in my situation.

Directv puts "HD DVR" on the order, which could mean HR20, HR21, HR22 or HR23, depending on what the installer gets.

Diplexing is possible with SWM, but Directv does not recommend it and installers normally won't set it up so you are on your own.

I like my HR20s better than my 21s because of the fast response time. Also they don't put up OTA antennas anymore. They used to but they weren't very good and they didn't want to be responsible for reception issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)