Issues with older receivers

Trout Burger

Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
Cookeville Tennessee
Hi, I've been reading thru tons of threads here and learned quite a bit. I have had the same set up here for 10 years- a vip612dvr and a vip211k. Fairly certain a lightning strike while i was at work broke everything. Things like the internet modem plug was completely blown out of the receptacle. After power was restored i have complete signal loss to both recievers-

The dish 800#, after doing all their tests, told me my equipment was obsolete and needed tech visit for $95 possibly.
After reading tons of threads i could use some tech assistance here and thank you in advance.
After searching and testing i found the seperator behind the vip612dvr had the top metal cover blown off of it and it had that fried electrical smell of death to it. I have since replaced it but still no signal to either reciever. I have pics of every test and can post if needed. Any help is much appreciated.

After searching and testing i found the seperator behind the vip612dvr had the top metal cover blown off of it and it had that fried electrical smell of death to it. I have since replaced it but still no signal to either reciever. I have pics of every test and can post if needed. Any help is much appreciated.

You replaced what? The separator, the top metal cover, or the vip612dvr?

If it were me, I would tell DISH to replace the "obsolete" equipment with non-obsolete equipment for free..............or you will go somewhere that will replace it for free. At the same time, I'd get some discounted service for a two year agreement. But, that's just me.

You replaced what? The separator, the top metal cover, or the vip612dvr?

If it were me, I would tell DISH to replace the "obsolete" equipment with non-obsolete equipment for free..............or you will go somewhere that will replace it for free. At the same time, I'd get some discounted service for a two year agreement. But, that's just me.
I replaced the seperator. If i couldn't run some tests to narrow down the problem and correct it then i intend on taking that angle with dish-

If the static electric discharge blew apart the separator where do you think that charge went. It continued down the cable into the rest of the system. You need a complete new system probably including cable...
im sure your correct but is there not a way to narrow it down a bit more than whole new system.

Insist on the Hopper 3 and a Joey 3. Accept no substitutes. You are more than due for an upgrade, possibly without charge.

Those receivers will not be issued to new accounts, and probably in the not too distant future be no longer supported.

Now why do I crave a fish burger, and not that cheap stuff from fast food joints?....

WELCOME! May the road rise up to meet your footsteps.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: charlesrshell
While you are spending money buying parts to narrow it down, I find it simpler to just get Dish to do it for free, or $95. You can reduce that $95 by getting the maintenance plan briefly...
The seperator was $2.50. Thanks but I'm not going to pay Dish anything to fix something used to subscribe to their service. I provide the electricity and thats all.

If the static electric discharge blew apart the separator where do you think that charge went. It continued down the cable into the rest of the system. You need a complete new system probably including cable...
Cable is pretty durable, but he might need new cable. Also the LNBF ports the cable was connected to are probably blown. I've seen lightning strikes where the receivers and LNB were fried but the cable was fine. BTW, you can still get 211K's and 612's installed/replaced. Don't let some eager CSR try to score a commission by selling you on an upgrade you don't need

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)