It finally happened to ME, the Ultimate No no, F### this piece of S#!7, it's over

rolandv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Welp, it finally happened. Came home tonight, and during dinner my son says "Dad, what happened to all of the shows that we recorded?"

What's that? I wanted to pretend I didn't hear him. My fiance was none too pleased after all the problems we've been having with some of her shows not recording, only recording half a show, etc.

Sure enough, I look at my playlist and everything before monday evening is no longer there. The funny thing is, it still says I have about 25 hours left, which is what it was with all my shows on there, so they must still be there but they are hiding or something. I have this bad feeling that I'm SOL. The only thing I did was setup a lock on one channel and block out pg13 and above on the main tuner so that my son doesn't see things he shouldn't.

It doesn't matter, I had a Tivo for a year and a half before I spent the last 6 months with this 522. When it works, it's wonderful, but 6 months of getting used to certain things (which I shouldn't have to get used to), and now this, all my shows gone, I'm done, out, threw. F-this. It's just not worth it.

Problems I've noticed in the past month are shows only getting half recorded for no reason. Shows not starting because one of the tuners locked up. When 2 shows are recording, playing back a recorded show skips consistently (this is the one that's been really irking me lately, well, since I got the receiver actually).

I feel sorry for all the people that fool themselves into wanting to believe this thing will ever be stable. If you care about your TV, then this thing just isn't worth the time.

I'm not sure which direction I'll head now. I kind of want to keep the Dish Network since it's cheaper, but I'm definitely getting rid of this 522. I still have my 60 hour Tivo, so that may be good enough. If not, I'll look into DirecTivo (I know it's not perfect, so I'll do my research first), but if I can afford it I may even go the Windows Media Center PC route. At least with that I'll have a little more control over what's going on, and get timely updates for any problems from Microsoft.

I do plan on calling Dish Network tech support to see if this is something they can help me with, since the shows seems to still be taking up HD space. If they help, I'll report back.

Well... something similar happened to me the other day as well... although, on a much smaller scale. I had two programs on the hard drive - and I didn't care about either of them... one was a Christmas special my 9 yr old recorded like 2 wks ago and still hadn't watched (couldn't have been TOO important) and the last episode of the Donald Trump show that my sister-in-law wanted me to record... that too was two weeks old... and last night I was looking to see what was on and I checked to see if anything was recorded that I could watch... when.... everything was gone! (well, everything in this case was just the two shows)... I asked my wife if she was messin' with it... she claims no... so - looks like there are just gone! But my avail time shows 100 hrs... and just two nights ago I noticed the two shows were there and there was 98 hrs 32 mins avail....

stone phillips420 said:
with the 522 always protect all recordings
Sure that helps when the 522 intentionally wants to delete them, but nothing protects them from the 522 when it FUBARs. :no

Santa, if you're listening, bring me a DVD recorder with digital audio input, please! :)

TuxCoder said:
Sure that helps when the 522 intentionally wants to delete them, but nothing protects them from the 522 when it FUBARs. :no

Santa, if you're listening, bring me a DVD recorder with digital audio input, please! :)
sure this helps i cloned my original 522 drive beforwe i hooked it up for the 1st time and if i record something now without protecting it the rcvr will go into hdd diagnostics for an hour then when its done all redcorded shows not protected are gone

Don't worry, just reboot the thing. I've seen this before and freaked out myself. Since it shows you only have 25 hrs left, I'm betting the programs are really still there. I might have had to actually unplug my receiver to get it all back.

Well, I got off the phone with Customer support and ultimately they said that I will have to replace my unit because I have a bad hard drive :rolleyes: BS, and that's what I told them. I'll explain in more detail the lines they were trying to feed me.

I did try to power down the unit per the website recommendation, but it did not restore my recordings. I know the shows are on the stupid hard drive because I do not have my hours recovered as if the shows had actually been deleted.

My protected recordings are gone as well. ALL of my recordings prior to monday morning are gone.

I'll explain more another day about the tech support.

Merry Christmas and Happy holidays.

Just go to Directv DISH advertises well but performs very poorly, they still can't write good software. I have had DirecTiVo for over a year with no problems that I didn't cause.

boba said:
Just go to Directv DISH advertises well but performs very poorly, they still can't write good software. I have had DirecTiVo for over a year with no problems that I didn't cause.

I want to, and right now there is a 75% chance of me doing so. The only thing holding me back is it cost a little more per month, plus I'll need 2 receivers. Son won't be able to use the Tivo features in a different room (but I'm ok with that actually).

Right now I'm thinking about getting a Windows Media Center 2005 PC, but I hear the knock on it is that the video quality isn't that great when played back on a TV, so I don't know yet.

I definitely can't rely on this 522 though. I don't want to worry every day whether or not my shows are going to disappear on me or not. For those who think it can't happen to you, you're in a false state of security.

I got my new Media Center 2005 PC today. I'll post a review in a few weeks. For anyone considering a 522, do you SEE all the problems it has and always has had over the past year!

Instead of fixing things, they break more. Along with new features come new bugs that cause hard drive errors and wipe out recordings. If you really want simplicity, get a Tivo. The extra money it costs a month IS worth it.

When you send itt back, KEEP THE TRACKING NUMBER...

Seems they ALWAYS try to charge you for the equipment.
I have been in contact with four other people whom they did that to.

CW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)