It is a new dawn at DISH.

Got this from DISH and figured I would pass it along. :)

It is a new dawn at DISH.

New Broadband Bundle -- Up until now, broadband satellite has over-promised and under-delivered. Not anymore! Our new DISH broadband Internet bundle will deliver up to 12 Mbps of speed. Our partners at ViaSat will provide the basic broadband services enhanced by DISH billing, installation, customer service and advertising. Bundled with our pay-TV packages, the cost for this package starts at under $79.99 per month.

Hmm, so Dish Network is going to bundle with WildBlue/Viasat/Exede/HighCapNet or whatever else they are called these days and Directv is going to be selling Hughesnet and not WildBlue/Exede? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense seeing how Echostar owns Hughesnet. I would think that Dish Network would bundle with Hughes. Perhaps they chose Excel due to the 12 mb service available now that Hughes don't have yet.

What about more a-la-carte options?

I for one would pay good money for individual channels that I really wanted. I know this would be a bit harder for Dish to manage but I think it has the potential to keep the customers happy with the Dish service.

For example, I think I would pay 5 to 10 dollars per month for certain channels I really wanted to get. It might also cause greater competition against other TV providers.

Make the customer happy and they will stay with Dish!

That's OLD & outdated info. The current law DOES allow DISH to do DNS & significantly viewed.

Interesting. When I first heard about it it was from someone here, presumably a staff member, and I don't recall it being refuted. Got anything to back it up?

Since Dish does DNS now, I guess they can! lol... They choose not to do it for households, but choose for a very good reason. Neither satellite company can give someone a Distant Net even if they are unable to get a signal from their local network. (In a white zone) That is because if they offer the locals on the sats they can't give the Distants. Since both providers serve just about every area it really makes no sense to offer them. That's where AAD comes into play. They do not offer locals, so can give distants to anyone who qualifies.
Dish is doing it for RV's however.

Very disappointed in Dish.

They continue to make promises they never keep and then when they think enough time passes they begin denying the promise ever existed. In 2011 there were 2 promises that they made in January that by this year they denied.
1. Multi lun hard drive support for ext hard drive was promised by August. Never happened and now they deny they promised it.
2. Up to 4 3D channels to begin airing in July 2011. Now they deny that 3D channels even exist. One of their reps said that 3D is so unpopular it is hardly represented at CES???? He obviously never got outside the Dish CES booth.
Other disappointments, too. Went to discuss the sling adapter with a dish rep at CES and he gave me the impression it was being discontinued because it never sold. Huh?
Many many promises for the 922 that were never kept and I suspect now they never will be.

The "new dawn" at Dish is to talk up Hopper. Don't talk about anything else from the past. It's Hopper or nothing. If you aren't on board with that go get another job!

Hopper is a nice idea from a technological viewpoint, but it, IMO, has limited market appeal. How many people will want to record every prime time show on every network every day, enough to want to go out and buy a new piece of hardware? I record all my preferred shows now. Nothing new here except with Hopper I get stuff I will never watch taking up hard drive space. Why do I need to buy Joey's to have my programming follow me around from room to room? If I really need my programming to follow me all over the world, I have sling for that and I use it to my cell phone ipad, and laptop or even my new Vizio TV in my office.
So, Hopper offers me nothing.

Dish, you really want to give your customers something, Forget Hopper! just keep the promises you made about 3D channels, external hard drive support for multi drives, and all those features you promised on the 922. I don't own a 922, but I do see how you don't show those who do any respect for keeping your word!

Besides, I think the name Hopper is goofy too.

Just a small nitpick on your post, Don. I have no interest in PTAT, but that is not the reason I'm interested in the Hopper. Whole home DVR and HD in every room is why I will be getting a Hopper. As far as sling goes, I have no interest in watching HD programming on my phone, ipad or laptop's small screen. Plus my network bandwidth is already consumed by streaming services from Hulu, Netflix, etc.

I am new to Dish and planning on getting it once the hopper is available. I used my 10' dish until last year when the receiver finally bit the dust. I currently have wildblue internet and don't have any other options except my verizon hot spot on my phone which has 2GB a month. I am considering cancelling my wildblue and getting the new exede via Dish so that I will have a combined bill. Since I have never been able to stream anything via wildblue, how much data allowance does it take for an average movie. I am wondering if the lowest exede package would be enough. The lowest is 7.5GB per month combined upload and download. This is lower than the current package which has 7.5GB download and 2.5GB upload. One thing I do like about the hopper was there are some movies on demand available without internet connection. I am sure I will have more questions but this is enough for me to start.
Thanks,
Donna in MO

Very disappointed in Dish.

They continue to make promises they never keep and then when they think enough time passes they begin denying the promise ever existed. In 2011 there were 2 promises that they made in January that by this year they denied.
1. Multi lun hard drive support for ext hard drive was promised by August. Never happened and now they deny they promised it.
2. Up to 4 3D channels to begin airing in July 2011. Now they deny that 3D channels even exist. One of their reps said that 3D is so unpopular it is hardly represented at CES???? He obviously never got outside the Dish CES booth.
Other disappointments, too. Went to discuss the sling adapter with a dish rep at CES and he gave me the impression it was being discontinued because it never sold. Huh?
Many many promises for the 922 that were never kept and I suspect now they never will be.

The "new dawn" at Dish is to talk up Hopper. Don't talk about anything else from the past. It's Hopper or nothing. If you aren't on board with that go get another job!

Hopper is a nice idea from a technological viewpoint, but it, IMO, has limited market appeal. How many people will want to record every prime time show on every network every day, enough to want to go out and buy a new piece of hardware? I record all my preferred shows now. Nothing new here except with Hopper I get stuff I will never watch taking up hard drive space. Why do I need to buy Joey's to have my programming follow me around from room to room? If I really need my programming to follow me all over the world, I have sling for that and I use it to my cell phone ipad, and laptop or even my new Vizio TV in my office.
So, Hopper offers me nothing.

Dish, you really want to give your customers something, Forget Hopper! just keep the promises you made about 3D channels, external hard drive support for multi drives, and all those features you promised on the 922. I don't own a 922, but I do see how you don't show those who do any respect for keeping your word!

Besides, I think the name Hopper is goofy too.

Sorry, but I'm an installer and I as well as other installers can tell you that this isn't the reality of the situation. Very few of our customers have 3Dtvs or 922 recivers or EHDs. Remember, people on this board are the exception and not the rule. In fact they're no where close to being the rule.

Two of the biggest complaints we hear is the inability to have HD on TV2 off our HD dual-tuner receivers and not having whole home DVR. The Hopper solves both complaints.

The Hopper will appeal to both the majority and the minority, unike 3D, the 922, and EHDs, which only appeal to a minority. Heck, for that matter, you can throw OTA in there too. Very, very seldom do we see a system with OTA.

Sorry, but I'm an installer and I as well as other installers can tell you that this isn't the reality of the situation. Very few of our customers have 3Dtvs or 922 recivers or EHDs. Remember, people on this board are the exception and not the rule. In fact they're no where close to being the rule.

Two of the biggest complaints we hear is the inability to have HD on TV2 off our HD dual-tuner receivers and not having whole home DVR. The Hopper solves both complaints.

The Hopper will appeal to both the majority and the minority, unike 3D, the 922, and EHDs, which only appeal to a minority. Heck, for that matter, you can throw OTA in there too. Very, very seldom do we see a system with OTA.

Thank you.

Whole home DVR and HD in every room is why I will be getting a Hopper.

Two of the biggest complaints we hear is the inability to have HD on TV2 off our HD dual-tuner receivers and not having whole home DVR.
Is there an echo in here?

I'm not sure whether to feel validated, or cursed that I fall in line with the general populace. Normally I see that as a bad thing. :D

Heck, for that matter, you can throw OTA in there too. Very, very seldom do we see a system with OTA.
Ah, I need OTA...whew, I was starting to worry there for a minute. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)