It is a new dawn at DISH.

I have to agree that the price for PPV HD is outrageous when considering every other vehicle out there for watching a movie, be it Netflix BB or even outright buying the movie. Outrageous is not too strong a word either, it might be rather kind. :)
Makes me wonder why they have the rate they do. I know even when I had free PPV certificates, I didn't order anything, because nothing interested me. I wonder if Dish is trying to make people not want VOD or maybe enough people buy at this rate that it makes it worth it.

What dish should have done or could do would be to offer BB@H with higher priced tiers. Level one, same as is now, level two would be an extra $10 with two discs out plus about 5 Free PPVs. Level three would be three discs out with 10-15 PPVs for $30. Or put the platinum channels in AT250 and offer BB@H at three tiers like before. The latter would get customers in a higher package and if they chose the BB@H it would be increased revenue. I've bought like two PPVs in the last year but would pay for more if they were a better price point. I bought all the $.99 PPVs they offered a while back, they should do more of that.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I am sure Dish has lots of sales data to know what price they can charge for PPV and still have customers order them... I have never ordered PPV from Dish because I have always thought they were redicously priced, but there must be a lot of customers that disagree with me.

I recall a number of years ago with Time Warner Cable that their price for PPVs was what I could call high or expensive as well. Of course, they tout the "convenience" factor. Sure, you can rent the same movie from the video store for $2-3 cheaper but you have to factor in "your time", gas, the hassle of traffic, not having the video when you get there, going out in bad weather, etc, etc (I could make up more !!). I put very little monetary value in any of those but some people do. That said, in the many years I've been with Dish, we've paid for maybe (2) PPVs.

GREAT IDEA. How about BB@H for the normal $10 a month. Add $5 and you get Two free PPVs of your choice anytime that month (that makes em $2.50 each). Add $10 (so total of $20) and get 5 PPvs of your choice any time (that makes em $2.00 each).

Dish Corp Marketing do you you ever read these threads? Lots of good ideas here for you to make more profit.

What dish should have done or could do would be to offer BB@H with higher priced tiers. Level one, same as is now, level two would be an extra $10 with two discs out plus about 5 Free PPVs. Level three would be three discs out with 10-15 PPVs for $30. Or put the platinum channels in AT250 and offer BB@H at three tiers like before. The latter would get customers in a higher package and if they chose the BB@H it would be increased revenue. I've bought like two PPVs in the last year but would pay for more if they were a better price point. I bought all the $.99 PPVs they offered a while back, they should do more of that.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The 60 day wait that studios have recently introduced for new DVD/BD releases to Netflix, BB, RB, etc is specifically designed to increase PPV purchases. It's not just Dish that makes big bucks on PPV. The studios make way more with PPV than they do buy selling discs to the rental services, or the digital rights to subscription streaming services.

Old Swani of Tv predictions web site, is predicting that DISH will close the remaining stores this year that Blockbuster has left, and then get out of the business of streaming too next year. Due to the high costs it takes to attain new releases and the hoops they make you jump through to distribute them. I think this time he is Right.

I read that as well. Given his history, I was wondering what some of the Dish "veterans" thought of this

Old Swani of Tv predictions web site, is predicting that DISH will close the remaining stores this year that Blockbuster has left...
I need to check how many are left near me. They're dwindling down, that's for sure ! I do know the (2) closest to me are in the process of closing.... Sure won't be able to do the in-store exchange with BB@Home !

Losing the local stores for the quick return will be a deal breaker for me.

Meaning? Why would you get BB from Dish for $10 to only get disc rentals when it's $8 from Netfix? Since you're not using the other benefits of course drop it.

Last edited:
Meaning? Why would you get BB from Dish for $10 to only get disc rentals when it's $8 from Netfix? Since you're not using the other benefits of course drop it.

probably because they moved some of the HD channels into the BB package.

If you drop BB, you loose all of the channels shown in the graphic below:

BBATHOMECHANNELS.jpg

It's all part of the "new screw, er, I mean, Dish".

You also revert to SD ONLY in a lot of the "free" on demand channels.

probably because they moved some of the HD channels into the BB package.
Let me get this straight. The channels in Platinum HD were rolled into the Bloackbuster@Home package for the same $10. So the only way you could get those channels before was with the Platinum HD package for $10. Or you could say that Dish gave Blockbuster function to Platinum users for free.

So I don't see
It's all part of the "new screw, er, I mean, Dish".
But I guess some people see negatives everywhere.

Yep, the Blockbuster package is one of the better offerings from Dish in a long time, especially if you have a local Blockbuster store near you. Even better if you have blu-ray and even better if you are a gamer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)