Its a shame

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
A friend gave me 4 DirecTV receivers today one is a H23-600. The other 3 are D-10's. They all have good cards too. I hooked up the HD receiver and it works but I know DirecTv will not authorize it since I'm almost sure it won't be up to their policy's. My friend got them from a house that was being torn down. What a shame now I have all the parts I need to receive HD since I have a Slimline 3 dish & LNBF. If Direct was smart they would allow it to get turned on and they could make more money. Instead they will force you into another contract with lease of a another receiver. What a stupid way of doing business. Some day I will gut these things and take any good parts I can use from them for electronic projects like I did with a dish DVR a few months ago.

BTW that brings my total up to12 DirecTV receivers with one that they will authorize :facepalm

The H23 is probably leased and Directv might want it back. But if its owned (you can call Directv..ask for the access card dept and check) you could set it up. No extra contract (when I got a R15 from goodwill it was added to the account as "owned" and no extra contract). They will charge you $20 for a new card. They dont reuse the cards

D10's are junk...not worth keeping honestly

Last edited:
on a side note...for someone that despises Direct and basically wants to run out the contract you sure want to keep doing things to the account. ;)

Ice, if Direct would let me set up my own owned equipment that I have here already and allowed me to turn on and off like with C band (no contract etc). I would be a lot more receptive to them.. I like to play with satellite stuff be it whatever but their terms don't allow you to play as a hobbyist.

I may someday call the access card dept and check the H-23 but I will bet its leased or whatever. BTW the H23 take a long time to boot compared to my D-11, are all HD receives like that?

I like to play with satellite stuff be it whatever but their terms don't allow you to play as a hobbyist.

Directv isn't for the hobbyist. You should stick with C band or fta for that. Directv is more like wireless cable.

Ice, if Direct would let me set up my own owned equipment that I have here already and allowed me to turn on and off like with C band (no contract etc). I would be a lot more receptive to them..
Dish is the closest thing to that. Directv has decided to go a different route and mainly lease the equipment. They have had alot of their rules in place for over a decade (new card, cant activate old equipment on a new account)...But we know you dont like Dish ;)

I like to play with satellite stuff be it whatever but their terms don't allow you to play as a hobbyist.
correct. It isnt for the "hobbyist"

I may someday call the access card dept and check the H-23 but I will bet its leased or whatever. BTW the H23 take a long time to boot compared to my D-11, are all HD receives like that?
The H23 has more tests to run than a D11 so yes it does take longer

The older SD units are the quickest (the ones that dont work with SWM...the D11 is one of them)
D12 (that can be used with SWM setups)
HD receivers
HD DVR's take the longest

raoul5788 said:
Directv isn't for the hobbyist. You should stick with C band or fta for that. Directv is more like wireless cable.

One of the names that was floating around for DirecTv in the late 80's and early 90's for what became DirecTv was "Sky Cable" I think that another one was "Sky Pix."

I'll have to call the access card dept and see if this HD receiver was owned. My friend just told me it came from a good family. Then if nothing else I could unload it on e-bay to pay for my programming.

Being a H23 I would bet great $$ its not owned. Coming from a "good family" (whatever that means; has no bearing on anything AND if it's not owned; you would likely not be unloading it on eBay; and if you could, it would be for peanuts.

yeah most of the newer receivers are leased....

good family....I guess if you pay your bill you'd be considered a "good family" :)

I called Direct and it's a lease. Then they tried to sell me on a free receiver and another 24 month contract. I told them outright I hate contracts so no thank you. Then the girl said please hold I want to see what I can do for you. When she came back she said staring on my next bill for 6 months I will get $10.00 off a month so my family pack is going to be $19.99 for 6 months. More money for H2H programming YES!

I'm surprised Direct actually did this. How many of you guys pay Direct $19.99 a month in year two of your contract.:eek: :D Thats C band rates!

I called Direct and it's a lease.
did they ask for it back?
Then they tried to sell me on a free receiver and another 24 month contract. I told them outright I hate contracts so no thank you. Then the girl said please hold I want to see what I can do for you. When she came back she said staring on my next bill for 6 months I will get $10.00 off a month so my family pack is going to be $19.99 for 6 months. More money for H2H programming YES!

I'm surprised Direct actually did this.
interesting....when they try the movie pack trick I tell them I dont watch movies yet I dont get any extra credits :(

How many of you guys pay Direct $19.99 a month in year two of your contract.
you dont want to know what my bill is :)
(and its not what you think it is...I have some credits on my account too)

Last edited:
did they ask for it back?

I told them I saw it on e-bay and wanted to check if it was good or not.

These boxes came from a house thats being wrecked in Florida.

interesting....when they try the movie pack trick I tell them I dont watch movies yet I dont get any extra credits :(
They asked me why I didn't want another 24 month contract. And I told them because Direct is holding a gun to my head if I bail you hit me with ETF. I said in this economy you don't know what tomorrow can bring (none of us do) I also told them on my big dish I can stop, start upgrade downgrade etc at will with no contracts or access fees.

you dont want to know what my bill is :)
(and its not what you think it is...I have some credits on my account too)
Well Direct will be $19.99 and H2H is about $8.00 a month. This month Direct is $22 and change from previous credits. You have to know how to play the game Ice ;)

I told them I saw it on e-bay and wanted to check if it was good or not.
that works

They asked me why I didn't want another 24 month contract. And I told them because Direct is holding a gun to my head if I bail you hit me with ETF.
interesting they never ask me about receivers...guess they like you
You have to know how to play the game Ice ;)
Oh I do ;)

interesting they never ask me about receivers...guess they like you

They probably look at my account and see I have bare bones and figure this guy is a target for upgrades. The $10 per month savings may have something to do with my 1 year anniversary. They did say thank you for being with DirecTv for a year, bla... bla... bla... Do they loose a lot of people in the first year??? Maybe people stop paying , cancel their credit card and stiff them a lot. Or maybe because I always pay my bill on time and good credit rating may have played a part in this, she had me on hold like 4-5 min looking for a deal, I don't know. Anyway works for me :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts