It's been fun...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
After 22 years and 7 months almost to the day, I have severed my relationship with Dish today.
I know the typical response by most readers of this type of announcement, especially from someone who has been dormant on this board for several years, is an angry "Don't let the door hit you on your way out!"
But let me explain.
Dish, it's not (all) you. It's me.
Dish's invitation to quit the relationship was small, but it was a catalyst for the rest.
No, it wasn't the really poor quality video of SD channels. I stopped watching SD years ago unless absolutely necessary.
No, it wasn't dropping my regional Sports channel. I rarely ever watched it when I had it.
No, it really wasn't dropping HBO. But thanks to the HBO thing my viewing habits changed.

As I got used to going to HBO Now on my streaming stick, I started using the streaming apps more and more. I was already an Amazon Prime member so I started watching more "regular" programming through that. Then I got access to Netflix. I realized I wasn't watching much of anything on Dish except for DVRed broadcast network shows and a few basic cable shows, but only a few. Almost everything I was watching was available online on a +7 day basis!

Things came to a head last month when my homeowner's insurance said "replace your roof or find another insurance carrier." My roof needed replacing for sure. And, thanks to trees and terrain, the only place to receive a satellite signal was from my roof. The dish came down for the roof replacement, and never went back up. Somehow I didn't want to poke holes in the new roof!

So I finally called Dish and cancelled. The call went well. The CSR offered me a good deal to stay, but I'd already committed to dropping service.

So now I have joined the legions of people who are OTA and streaming viewers (I won't say cut the cord, but cause I still have internet through the cable company). I also took a deal for a while with the local cable company for their streaming service for locals, 10 "basic cable" channel and "cloud DVR" for my legacy viewing habits. It's $30/mo for a couple of years. I'll re-evaluate how necessary that is when the offer ends.

So it's a fond farewell to Echostar/Digital Sky Highway/DiSH Network/DISH. Thanks for the good service, and competitive pricing. Thanks for essentially showing me I didn't need you anymore. Perhaps in a couple of years I'll come back to "sling" but for now, goodbye to Dish.

Thanks for Everything Tony, and I have to agree with you watching TV is not the same as it was.

When i did my roof a few years ago, I mounted all my dishes to the side of my house.

Some call it progress. But I find with the cord cutting you are paying almost the same thing for the Internet and all the streaming services.

For me Satellite is still the most reliable way to get your TV. Last night there was a WWE PPV on the WWE Network, and my kids were home and on their computers and I had a hard time watching the show as it kept buffering as my kids were downloading games and watching Youtube at the same time. How I wish that DISH had the WWE Network, I was the king of my castle but couldn't watch TV in my own home.

Don't be a stranger, we have so much more here than just Satellite. Of course you knew that already. :D

Don't let the door...

Sorry, couldn't resist. My time will come when either:

A.) Flex Pack no longer offered or severely curtailed due to programming disputes, or
2.) My 722 is no longer allowed to be active or replaced

It'll be interesting to see which occurs first.

Last edited:
After 22 years and 7 months almost to the day, I have severed my relationship with Dish today.
I know the typical response by most readers of this type of announcement, especially from someone who has been dormant on this board for several years, is an angry "Don't let the door hit you on your way out!"
But let me explain.
Dish's invitation to quit the relationship was small, but it was a catalyst for the rest.
No, it wasn't the really poor quality video of SD channels. I stopped watching SD years ago unless absolutely necessary.
No, it wasn't dropping my regional Sports channel. I rarely ever watched it when I had it.
No, it really wasn't dropping HBO. But thanks to the HBO thing my viewing habits changed.

As I got used to going to HBO Now on my streaming stick, I started using the streaming apps more and more. I was already an Amazon Prime member so I started watching more "regular" programming through that. Then I got access to Netflix. I realized I wasn't watching much of anything on Dish except for DVRed broadcast network shows and a few basic cable shows, but only a few. Almost everything I was watching was available online on a +7 day basis!

Things came to a head last month when my homeowner's insurance said "replace your roof or find another insurance carrier." My roof needed replacing for sure. And, thanks to trees and terrain, the only place to receive a satellite signal was from my roof. The dish came down for the roof replacement, and never went back up. Somehow I didn't want to poke holes in the new roof!

So I finally called Dish and cancelled. The call went well. The CSR offered me a good deal to stay, but I'd already committed to dropping service.

So now I have joined the legions of people who are OTA and streaming viewers (I won't say cut the cord, but cause I still have internet through the cable company). I also took a deal for a while with the local cable company for their streaming service for locals, 10 "basic cable" channel and "cloud DVR" for my legacy viewing habits. It's $30/mo for a couple of years. I'll re-evaluate how necessary that is when the offer ends.

So it's a fond farewell to Echostar/Digital Sky Highway/DiSH Network/DISH. Thanks for the good service, and competitive pricing. Thanks for essentially showing me I didn't need you anymore. Perhaps in a couple of years I'll come back to "sling" but for now, goodbye to Dish.
I am sadden to see you leave DISH TNGTony . You are more brave than me. I could never go for the nite mares of streaming and the inconvenience of cloud DVR. When you come back maybe you can do a pole or eave mount. I think the dish roof mount looks kool my damn self. Roof holes can be repaired. Take care.

But let me explain.

Aw Tony Man! This is very sad news here. :(

Maybe you'll change your mind and come back? :)

Whatever happens, don't be a stranger and good luck.

• Sad
Reactions: charlesrshell
Funny, in ‘03 after getting the new roof on the house I just moved into, I was all about getting the dish (Directv at the time) on that roof. Spare nothing! Nail that dish in!!!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks, Scott
I'm still lurking on the board... :)
In a roundabout way you introduced me and Scott. Back at old alt.dbs I told you I was starting a home theater company and was adding Dish installation to the mix. You said I needed to go to dishretailer.com (Claude's site) and what great advice that was. I still post there even though I hung up the tool belt and also came to Scott's site (instead of that other satellite BB :rolleyes) when he opened.

Anyway, two thing keep me with Dish. 1. The Hopper. I've always been a gearhead and there ain't no gear like the Hopper. 2. No OTA. Having networks digitally and the sub stations would go a long way. But to replace them with cord cutting options brings the price close to the Hopper (but with NO Hopper!)

Anyway, thanks again and don't be a stranger.

I get closer and closer to pulling the plug on Dish myself. Other than going down to the Welcome Pack and saving about $8 per month (but losing the only 2 channels I pay attention to the schedules of) I can't get things down much lower per month than they are. If it weren't for the multiple hard drives of movies I've got (many of which aren't easily available otherwise) along with TCM andf HDNET Movies we would've been former Dish customers by now. Even useless SD channels aside, the audio and video quality from most all of the streaming we watch is superior. It gets tougher every month to reason the cost out with my wife since we use the service so rarely now that we have the Amazon Recast DVR for those shows that aren't as easy to keep up with on the apps. That $48+ each month would be better spent other places. I suspect when they attempt to force me out of my 722 and into a more expensive Hopper that will be the final straw on our 20 relationship with Dish.

Reactions: dare2be
Tony, yes the time comes for all of us. I remember your posts and advice from many years ago when I was with Dish.

I dumped DirecTV two year ago this month and went back with cable. I was so thankful yesterday when we got 14 inches of snow, I didn't have to go out and sweep off the dish!

I am using TiVO for for Comcast/Xfinity, Apple TV and Roku. It gets me everything I need. If Comcast gets too expensive I can switch to OTA only pretty easily.

I hope all is well. I continue to lurk here as well and hope to see you continue to post here.

Do you still do work with Waycross TV? Not sure if they are even still around.

I don't get back to Cincy very often. May be back next year for my Finneytown HS 50 year reunion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts