It's Here, the new 722K! Unboxing Photos

I am not trying to bad talk this receiver, as I am very excited about it and have been waiting for awhile to get my hands on one.

However I can only report what I find as giving you my honest findings insures that you know what you might be getting if you get one of these units.

The good news is I am seeing steady signals on the OTA stuff, its not jumping around like has been reported.

I am not trying to bad talk this receiver, as I am very excited about it and have been waiting for awhile to get my hands on one.

However I can only report what I find as giving you my honest findings insures that you know what you might be getting if you get one of these units.

The good news is I am seeing steady signals on the OTA stuff, its not jumping around like has been reported.

Might be steady now, but you still don't get the missing channels. I wasn't expecting you to bad talk the receiver, but it isn't impressive what it's doing so far. It seems like it wasn't ready to go out yet. For the step back in OTA reception, there's really no excuse, since older receivers can do better.

Some more good news...

It appears that the issue connecting to the 722K from the Sling Guide site is NOT a 722K issue. It appears that there is an issue at the Sling Guide beta site.

I was also able to get the system Wizard function to work properly without locking up the machine.

I am thinking that perhaps many of the bugs I am seeing will go away after I let it download all its data overnight.

So with that said in a few minutes I will upload all the screen shots I took today and will let the 722K rest until tomorrow night and then I will see how things are then.

Well got it all activated...

Just did a locals scan and unfortunately the OTA Tuner is not as good as the one in the 622. I am unable to tune into WCTX now WSAH on the 722K yet can get these channels on my 622.

Also on the Springfield Fox (WGGB) I normally get in at 100% yet now I am only getting it at 84% so the tuner is not as sensitive as the one in the 622.

Luckily I dont watch any of those channels, all other channels I watch are coming in fine.
You mention the 622, but nothing compared to the 722. When I upgraded to the 722 my quality for the OTA stations was the same as with my previous 622.

I am really interested in this tuner for only one reason. My market does not have locals in HD. I currently have strong signals for the 5 locals I watch. High 100%, low 88%.

If I can get them to reduce the $75 fee because I upgraded to the 722 so recently I still think I will go with it.

"download all its data overnight"

you mean you're not planning to set the download time to "now" to get it over with? :)

The OTA tuners on the Dish DVR's are terrible. Only the coupon PAL non subscriber version has a better tuner. I was hopping for a good one for the 722K but it is rubbish like usually. I found that out with my 612. I know the 612 is a lower end than the 722 and it has a bad OTA to begin with but it seems that they are all the same with the OTA tuner. I see more of that stupid Error screen for OTA than the picture. That is why I keep my antenna hooked up to my TV. More stable. I might still upgrade my 612 to a 722k if I buy one but I won't be using the OTA tuner. My indoor Terk HDTVi antenna will stay hooked up to my TV.

I have no issues out of my 722 ota tuner, and my old 622 did just fine. This is worrisome about the 722k, and I think Ill hold off on the upgrade and just keep the tivohd for a bit longer.

Some more good news...

So with that said in a few minutes I will upload all the screen shots I took today and will let the 722K rest until tomorrow night and then I will see how things are then.
Can't you run a check switch and then press 0 three or four times to force it to then download the data now? Or do you just want to go to sleep?

Wife is watching TV now so cant try it now. I will let it do its update tonight like its supposed to. :)

I posted another thread with everything I did and lots of screen shots.

...I am seeing steady signals on the OTA stuff, its not jumping around like has been reported.
This comment by Scott seems to say he does not have the problem with OTA that has been mentioned by one other person. Like others I have always had excellent quality of picture with my OTA tuner with the 622 and my current 722.

I will wait to let Scott give a more detailed review after he has lived with it a few days.

It would be nice Scott if you mentioned anything about picture quality of OTA on the 722k compared to the 622/722 - Same...not as good, etc.

This comment by Scott seems to say he does not have the problem with OTA that has been mentioned by one other person. Like others I have always had excellent quality of picture with my OTA tuner with the 622 and my current 722.

I will wait to let Scott give a more detailed review after he has lived with it a few days.

It would be nice Scott if you mentioned anything about picture quality of OTA on the 722k compared to the 622/722 - Same...not as good, etc.

The jumping around does not worry me as much as the 16 points of SS he lost as well as a channel.

Why Dish and Directv keep offering new models with flaws they should work out before hand. They had to know the tuner was not as good as the 622/722.

Hopefully, if indeed there is a problem with the OTA tuner in the 722k from what people are saying, they'll have that problem worked-out by the time the 922 is released.

I thought Dish did a good job addressing the problems the 622 was having by the time they released the 722.

It's the 922 that I'm looking forward to.

Really curious to check-out the new Sling feature(s).

When I saw the case on the 722k, my first thought was, "It's a black 942!" Hopefully, Echostar went back to that case design to eliminate the vibration between the plastic front panel and the metal case. My ViP 622 buzzes something fierce until I give it a tweak. My 942 was nice and quiet by comparison.

So, each remote takes 4 AAA cells? That's got to make them feel pretty solid. How do they feel in the hand, Scott? Nicely balanced?

Also, picture #6 & 8 look the same. Am I missing something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts