Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Here are two press releases, ECW is back. :)

WWE® Launches ECW® As Third Brand

STAMFORD, Conn., May 25, 2006 - World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc., today announced the official launch of ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling®) as a brand extension to its RAW® and SmackDown® franchises.

After acquiring the ECW assets in 2003, WWE spent the past few years re-introducing ECW to the global WWE audience and increasing the interest in its unique brand of sports entertainment. To date, WWE has successfully released three ECW DVD’s, all of which have become best sellers, and produced a very profitable ECW pay-per-view event in June 2005, with another ECW pay-per-view scheduled for this June 11, 2006. With consumer interest at an all-time high, WWE is introducing ECW as a complementary brand to RAW and SmackDown.

“After keeping the ECW concept alive and creating an enormous cult-like following for all things ECW from DVD’s to PPV’s to books, we feel that now the time is right to officially launch ECW as its own stand-alone franchise,” said Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman. “RAW, SmackDown and ECW now represent a portfolio of WWE brands for fans of all ages and interests to enjoy.”

Similar to WWE’s RAW and SmackDown brands, WWE will produce, market and promote a full line of ECW products from television programs to pay-per-views to live events to licensed consumer goods.

In a related announcement, The SCI FI Channel today announced it would start airing one-hour episodes of a new ECW live television program, debuting June 13 at 10 p.m. ET.

World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: WWE) is an integrated media and entertainment company headquartered in Stamford, Conn., with offices in New York City, Los Angeles, Toronto and London. Additional information on the company can be found at wwe.com and corporate.wwe.com.

WWE® BRINGS ECW® TO SCI FI CHANNEL

New York, N.Y., May 25, 2006 - SCI FI Channel today announced that World Wrestling Entertainment®, the producer of the No. 1 weekly basic cable TV series, “Monday Night RAW “on USA Network, will debut a summer series on Tuesday, June 13, at 10 p.m. ET/PT. ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling®) will be an alternative brand of wrestling suited to fit the SCI FI Channel’s commitment to fuel the imagination.

"Research tells us that there's a healthy appetite for wrestling among SCI FI viewers," said Bonnie Hammer, President, USA and SCI FI Channel. "With ECW, we're able to deliver to those fans unique action with a twist that's perfect for SCI FI."

“ECW on SCI FI will push the boundaries of sports entertainment in new and unexpected ways,” said Vince McMahon, Chairman of World Wrestling Entertainment.

For more information go to ECW.com.

SCI FI Channel is a television network where "what if" is what's on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 85 million homes, SCI FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.

World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: WWE) is an integrated media and entertainment company headquartered in Stamford, Conn., with offices in New York City, Los Angeles, Toronto and London. Additional information on the company can be found at wwe.com and corporate.wwe.com.

It will never be what it was before, I can not tell you how many shows I went to, at the Elks Lodge in Queens. Was in the front two rows for everyone of them. You will never see the likes of the gangsta's, sandman, the eliminators, taz, etc in their hayday again, that was the best years ecw ever had and will have in my opinion

Last edited:
But sci-fi is on a LOT more places than other channels. ECW on TNN made no sense at all...

It doesn't fit the channel, but I haven't watched sci-fi in years. ECW will change that.

Don't judge the new ECW until we see it. A lot of people are writing it off because WWE pays the checks now. Vince was sending checks to ECW 10 years ago and nobody complained because they didn't know. Paul and Tommy Dreamer are in charge, and vince is just paying the checks and using ECW as a farm system that just happens to be on TV. Same as it was 10 years ago.

The new stars will be what determines if the new ECW sinks or floats. Sure seeing the sandman again will be nice, but he's 10 years older, he's not going to carry this brand for the next 5 years. He's going to setup the new guys, which is the way to go. Now when WWE has nothing creatively for really talented wrestlers, they can send them to ECW and let paul try some things instead of just cutting them and letting TNA snap them up.

ECW is a huge threat to TNA, if it works at all TNA is in trouble...

Maybe they can another "Monday Night War" type of thing goin on. There was some great entertainment back then.

It won't be the same because Vince still controls it

even though Paul E will "run" it, Vince still holds the final say

I don't know why they had to put that at the end of that article, vince really only has veto power, he has no say in angles or anything. If Paul asks for the money to bring in goldberg, vince can say "um, no". If Paul wants to give the TV title to Val Venis, vince won't need to be notified...

BTW, paul, hire billy kidman. You can use him and when WWE decides (wrongly) that torrie needs to be replaced, she can go to ECW and get into catfights...I really need to see her in catfights, for obvious reasons...

I think we should all just wait to see what it is before writing it off, it's only a few weeks away so everyone just please withhold judgement for now. As fans we should all want this to succeed. If there's one thing the WWE needs it's a competitor to light a fire under it's ass and TNA sure hasn't done it...

dudleys are under contract. Hardy has another month or so but I don't think he's got the right state of mind to be full time and be more hardcore. Wish that kid could either decide to give it his all, or retire.

Matt Hardy is 99% sure headed to ECW, so that may sway jeff towards them, and they'd make an excellent replacement of the dudleys, though they'd be more like a replacement for the eliminators...

Tony1097 said:
anyone know if Sabu still wrestles? I would love to see him again

I think Sabu was with TNA. I do believe he does some indy stuff also. Last I heard he was offered an ECW contract.

As other posters have stated ECW will never be the same as it was. Grant it, they may get some new talents but Vince has the last word. I hope Pauly does get frustrated with Vince and just leaves after 2 months. I really hope Vince lets Pauly and Dreamer book(script) the matches.

RVDMark is a little behind the times. Sabu signed his wwe deal a while ago, and even fulfilled his TNA PPV match AFTER signing the wwe deal. Total pro, and he seems to have healed up and gotten a 2nd wind in terms of his career. Wish he'd wrestle a bit more and not rely on doing the same barbed wire spots over and over though...

Vince has final say, true, but it's not like vince is booking anything or involved in daily business. Paul and Tommy have control.

Anyone who was skeptical before last night should have had a HUGE load taken off their shoulders by confirming that RVD is coming to ECW, as well as Kurt Angle. Not to mention the rumor of benoit and a bunch of other big name talent that WWE doesn't have any storylines for, and suddenly things look REAL damn rosey...

I'd settle for michelle mccool, did you SEE her new "horny schoolteacher" gimmick? That outfit, OMG...

Ya know, I'd like to thank David Lee Roth for making that song/video....

Well, see i had the opposite reaction. Sabu couldn't execute the arabian facebuster. I hope it's just a case of nerves. These guys feel like they have to give a+ performances, and quick, and I think we're going to hear a lot of "You F*cked up" chants the first few shows as a result...

By august when they've all settled down a bit, gotten the ball rolling and settled in a bit, things should be just fine...

I have the "one night stand" main event on my puter for folks interested in seeing it. I will be getting the next ECW PPV as well!!! Might just save my interest in "wrestling".

Purogamer said:
Well, see i had the opposite reaction. Sabu couldn't execute the arabian facebuster. I hope it's just a case of nerves. These guys feel like they have to give a+ performances, and quick, and I think we're going to hear a lot of "You F*cked up" chants the first few shows as a result...

its the atomic arabian face buster (regualr one he stands by the guy and jmps up...atomic is from the turnbuckles) :D

He couldnt do it because they put the table too far away :)
Only thing I don't like is ECW going to be another spot for WWE guys that Vince doesn't give 2 sh*ts for?

And Vince...no matter how hard you try...you will NEVER bring back the ECW I watched in 94-95 all the way up to 1/13/01 and loved.

They've said repeatedly it won't be the same, but ANYTHING is better than TNA as an alternative...

You're right, it's been so long since i've seen sabu (I don't bother with impact) that I've forgotten the atomic part...I'm hanging my head in shame...

Sabu is also a few steps slower, he's always missed spots over the years...

I've got half of the head-to-head special left to watch so i'll come back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)