It's over for me

ltcsys

Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
After trying to watch the ACC games today OTA (ESPN blacked out), I have decided to cancel my Voom. I have never gotten close to good OTA reception. For 103$ I can get all my locals in HD, full digital cable, and high speed internet from local cable company. This is better than 97$ from phone company with DSL and 52$ from Voom. DSL from phone company is horrible, and who knows when Voom will go under or when I can watch my TV...? Signing off, it's been a fun year and a half. Hope some of you convert and see the light.

Convert to what... a few HD channels? I can't speak of your OTA or how far you are from the station or what power they are using. Good luck.

A few HD channels of my local stations guaranteed to come in versus my locals that mostly don't come in except for at night. oh, and i forgot the Voom exclusives, which I have watched maybe 3 hours since I have had the service. There is just no comparison. If Voom had some decent programming on the "exclusive" channels, then maybe I would reconsider.

I find it very hard to believe this poster has been with VOOM since the start (lots of startup problems mind you) yet, after 18 months of service, they have finally managed to find their way to the VOOM Forum and make their 1st post. I smell a troll and a chicken...must be a Trollicken! ;)

ltcsys said:
A few HD channels of my local stations guaranteed to come in versus my locals that mostly don't come in except for at night. oh, and i forgot the Voom exclusives, which I have watched maybe 3 hours since I have had the service. There is just no comparison. If Voom had some decent programming on the "exclusive" channels, then maybe I would reconsider.
Troll away! Your story is not credible and your agenda is obvious. Buh bye! :wave

I don't think he is a troll. He is just one of the 40% of customers that VOOM has lost since they started.

When someone's 1st post is VOOM positive it's "Welcome To VOOM!"
When someone's 1st post is VOOM negative it's "Troll Alert!"

When someone's 1st post of VOOM is positive it's "Welcome To VOOM!"
When someone's 1st post of VOOM is negative it's "Troll Alert!"

hes not a troll i feel the same way upn20 dosent broadcast digital at high power and that is the station in the d.c. area that shows acc tournament. its nots vooms fault but i understand why you feel that way. but for me the only channel i cant get is upn20. does anyone know a number i can call to complain?

riffjim4069 said:
I find it very hard to believe this poster has been with VOOM since the start (lots of startup problems mind you) yet, after 18 months of service, they have finally managed to find their way to the VOOM Forum and make their 1st post. I smell a troll and a chicken...must be a Trollicken! ;)

I agree.

I think is his decision to spend the $$$ where he feels bests suits him. Different people have different tastes. That's all. I wish I could give you my locals since I hardly watch them unless there is something worth watching. There's not one provider that has it all out there. This is why a few of us have multiple providers and some cannot afford this. Good luck. Hopefully this won't turn into another closed thread.

jnardone said:
I don't think he is a troll. He is just one of the 40% of customers that VOOM has lost since they started.

Look at his post again. He's been with Voom a year and a half. If he can't get the ACC tournament today then he couldn't get it last year. He should have complained a year ago.

BTW, Voom does not gaurantee that you will get your locals (*people need to read the fine print). Most DTV stations across the country do not broadcast at full power. This is not Voom's fault. Complain to your local TV station.

Other than your OTA channels, what other channels would convince you to stay?
Incidentally...there is usually a way to get your local channels, you usually just need a better antenna. I'm just curious what have you tried to rectify your local channel situation over these 18 months? I am having some issues getting to of my local channels, but am in the process of rtying some different antenna combinations to solve this.

Just curious..

Andrew

Sheesh, call off the vultures. So the guy canceled after getting frustrated? Happens, right?

Sorry, hope another service meets your needs.

Now what was so hard about that?

who_the said:
Sheesh, call off the vultures. So the guy canceled after getting frustrated? Happens, right?

Sorry, hope another service meets your needs.

Now what was so hard about that?

I'm still curious about what channels he would have liked to have (other than his OTA). I switched from DirecTV and although I now have fewer number of channels, I like what I have now much better.
But I know everyoe is different, so I was just curious. I bet VOOM would love to know this info too!

Andrew

FAIR WARNING TO THOSE ADVERSE TO LONG, EXPLANATORY POSTS...YOU MAY WANT TO JUST SKIP THIS......But since I spent a half hour trying to compose this, I'm going to post it anyway...in spite of the fact that some have said it just as eloquently, in fewer paragraphs.

chaotic said:
When someone's 1st post of VOOM is positive it's "Welcome To VOOM!"
When someone's 1st post of VOOM is negative it's "Troll Alert!"
...I fully agree with you chaotic, but for any newbies on board[/B], I have to post this disclaimer...and it's NOT aimed at you any of the other "older hands" who follow your post. Nor is it aimed at the original poster...

I feel you suspect you were both just stating your positions and opinions, and both of you are entitled to to that.

My comment is more directed to newcomers to this board, and perhaps "older hands" who have experienced the non-disputed (at least by me) strain of trying to have patience...it's beginning to wear on everyone's nerves.

I beseech us all, myself included...think before you type....

"Check prior posts before forming opnions BEFORE deciding "troll" or "cheerleader", also take into account how many posts in total show in their profile, and over what period of time.

Beyond that, try to pay attention to where they post currently (this can be distorted by the fact that I believe only 20 pages of posts (for the way I'm set up, with 25 posts per page or a total of 500 current posts) show as being currently when you search all posts by an individual;

If they have a high amount of posts, and most of the posts are on this forum in the last 90 days or so, it could be either...in which case it would be necessary to visit all the other forums, and use the option "show all posts since the beginning" to check back beyond the 500 post limit to see where they posted previously on other forums and study prior posts in order to form your own opinions."

This exercise can be very telling in the case of Trolls, as sometimes all their current posts are in this forum, while prior posts may be in forums they may more closely align with. If you see references in current posts that relate to other sites...give those a quick gander, too.

But, most of all, try to take note of subtle undercurrents in the posts you read, and can see on this forum, even without having to review every post on this whole site back to the time the posters became registered...they are very important in determining the current agendas of the posters...

If what you find is primarily negative and the majority of their posts are ONLY on this site...especially recently...it may well be a Troll. But look at the content too, someone who criticizes VoOm for whatever reason, is not necessarily a Troll. He or she may simply be someone who has a good grasp of the technicalities that figure into the current situation, and is trying to convey that. On the other hand, repeated negativity, (without a long prior history of supportive or at least, constructive comments)...may very likely be a Troll.

If there are few prior posts to go on, it may be a newbie who has simply lost patience OR, it may be a Troll.

I personally, don't find new posters that hard to believe, because I was there once and cancelled. I am being tested again in re-subscribing, but please, don't just write new posters off even if they are negative in the beginning.

If you have suggestions to give, please do so. If you support their opinions without recourse, do that too...but base your position on either experience or facts that can be substantiated in some form. Then everyone can have a better shot at forming a reasoned opinion as to the best choice for them.

All that blah, blah, blah (if you read through it) is just my personal opinion on what I consider some common sense, lacking any personal technical certainty of agendas of most posters...regarding the current situation in a very tense time...It's just what has helped me decide to whose opinions to trust since my first VoOm experience nearly 18 months ago...and it's based on what I've learned since...from posters here...whether they were agreeing at the time with my position or not. :)

I have had Voom for about 1 month. I spent about two-three months before signing up viewing posts on this site. I am not a big poster, nor do I feel I need to be. I have not had a bad experience, but will leave for Comcast should Voom close down...though it would certainly suck...

As for the ACC tourney on ESPNHD, I am getting it and I am in ACC country. My understanding of how the blackout rules apply is that if the game is NOT sold out, the game is not available in your area. This is intended to get you to park your butt in a stadium seat, and not your lazyboy. However, with the ACC playing in DC this year - the smallest venue for the tourney in years - the whole place is sold out. So this releases ESPN (or Voom) to show the feed nationally.

I am having a party tomorrow for the finals. Go Duke!!! :D :D :D

Good point and good post, atp1313...hope you and all your friends enjoy the game and the party!!
party-smiley-020.gif

Vicki :D

I gotta agree with riffjim and vurbano. Just doesn't make sense to me that someone has Voom for a year and a half and is just now realizing he can't get locals and it's unacceptable. And every time - every time - that someone's first post to the forum is "hello I'm outta here" it's gonna raise my eyebrows. It just doesn't make sense. Where were these people when considering Voom, having Voom installed, enjoying/hating Voom programming, having problems with Voom, having OTA problems. Why now -- if nothing else was important enough to post about -- why now is it so damned necessary to inform the world that you're leaving? Who the hell even knew they were here? What would make them really think anybody would care?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)