It’s time to end MLB’s Monopoly!

VicnSue

Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Like many people in our country I have picked up family and have moved hundreds of miles away from my boyhood home. I now live two hours west of Atlanta after living thirty minutes east of St. Louis. The Braves are a great team but they are not the Cardinals no matter how many Brave games MLB try to force me to watch.
Now I know MLB would like all of us to purchase their Extra Innings package, but even if Dish offered it I wouldn’t buy it because I only have interest in one team.

I believe we should have the ability to choose a second RSN, and of course at an additional cost.
Its my understanding congress has made MLB exempt from monopoly laws, but it is time for these laws to be changed.

Now before everyone says that’s impossible remember not to long ago cable companies had a monopoly on local stations. Congress did act, and the law was changed.
This needs to be a grassroots effort, but how do we get this ball rolling? Do you think Charlie would help? (Looks like extra revenue to me Charlie!)

If you have any ideas how to move this forward please let me know.

Cards fan here and I agree it's crazy to think I am gonna watch the Chokago Cubs play just because I am closer to them. I am fortunate that the Cards are an available RSN for me. I don't get the big deal I am not taking any money away from the Cubs as I am not gonna watch them anyway, the same goes if I live in St. Louis and love the Cubs let me have them there.

heh...good luck

hate to tell you this but the RSN's are only allowed to show programming in specific areas...hence the name REGIONAL Sports Network. That is what they are licensed for. Plus the sports teams (NHL,NBA,MLB) have specific areas that they can "claim" is their area for showing.

Want an out of market team? Ya gotta sub to the out of market packages

You know, I do agree with the OP, to some level. I've long stated that I would LOVE to sub to EI on ANY provider given that they offered a pricing/programming structure better suited different lifestyles, some more active than others.

All things considered, I usually don't concern myself too much with what other teams outside the NLC division are doing during the regular season. But while I may not be interested in watching the Mariners or the Mets, I am interested in watching the Cards, the Brewers, Houston, etc...just for the comparitive aspects of how the competition is fairing in the NLC. But honestly? To pay the price for EI when I would only really care about one sixth of the total programming, and basically not have any time to watch even part of the remainder, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

But give me a reasonable pricing tier on EI for my one division, and I'll be all over it.! :D

doesn't sportsouth or FSN South show Cardinals games in additional areas of the southern states?

If you really think about it, the Cardinals have a pretty good sized DMA compared to a lot of other teams. Heck, when you go to a game you are guaranteed to see license plates from MO, IL, IA, KY, TN, AR, KS, and ,IN...plus it is not uncommon to see plates from some of the states that surround those states i just listed. Even though the Cards have such a wide reaching fan base, it still seems like ever year you hear of the Cardinals having to battle a television provider on game blackouts and how the RSN (FSN Midwest) is avaliable to people. You have to remember that the Cardinals Radio and Television Networks cover MO, IL, IA, TN, IN, KS, OK, MS, AK, and KY.

Cardinals Radio - TV Affiliates | stlcardinals.com: Schedule

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)