ITVN over a wireless connection?

mlinuxg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
Would the IPTV service be able to work over a wireless connection?

My PC and cable modem are in my basement. My television is on the second floor. Which means IPTV would have to operate over a wireless connection between my wireless router in my basement to the IPTV box on the second floor.

Of course, this is asuming that the IPTV box has a wireless card in it. If it doesn't then I would need to buy another computer with a wireless card that would feed the IPTV box.

No matter which way you go, satellite or internet, wiring these components together is such a pain.

Mike

Last edited:
Yes it will work, however a Wireless G connection is recommended. :)

There is no wireless card built into the receiver, but you can use one of those wireless units which can hook up your XBOX to your network. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes it will work, however a Wireless G connection is recommended. :)

There is no wireless card built into the receiver, but you can use one of those wireless units which can hook up your XBOX to your network. :)

Cool, I've got a Wireless G router. I'll do some searching on the XBox wireless unit thingy. Not familiar with the XBox gear since I don't own an XBox.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

mlinuxg said:
Cool, I've got a Wireless G router. I'll do some searching on the XBox wireless unit thingy. Not familiar with the XBox gear since I don't own an XBox.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

I use a wireless gaming adapter at my house. When the connection between my Router and adapter is up, the ITVN box works perfectly. However, sometimes it seems like my Wireless router stops sending its signal because neither the adapter nor my laptop will find it. When this happens I usually just power down / power on the router and I'm back in business. I think it's the POS Netgear router I'm using.

When I get around to it I'm going to run a Cat5 to every room in the house using the same pipe the DirecTV cables use so I have a solid wire going to my box.

I think this is the waive of the future. I also think we will receive this service but not in a way that we think we will as of today.

Any one who has gotten this to work with wireless can you please send links to where we can purchase stuff that will work? I also have a modem/router from qwest dsl and was wondering how to find out if it spits out 802.11g wireless

When I had it, I was able to get great results with wireless.

I have a Dlink DI-624 wireless router and the ITVN was connected with a DWL-810+ wireless bridge/game adapter (now upgaded to the DWL-G820).

I setup a static IP for the device in the router and entered that IP in the ITVN setup menu, rebooted it (not sure of the ITVN method these days) and it was working perfectlly, in the highest ITVN bitrate, in less than 5 mins.

ITVN and Powerline Adapter

Would ITVN work with a Slingbox Powerline Adapter hooked up to a switch? I’m considering ITVN for the Setanta programming; however, the cable modem and wireless router are upstairs while the TV I’ll be using is in the basement. Since I already have the Slingbox hooked up and working quite well with the Powerline adapter, adding a switch to the adapter and then running cat 5 from the switch to the Slingbox and ITVN boxes would be a great solution – if it works. Would Slingbox and ITVN work and work well under this scenario? Would a different Powerline adapter work better than the one provided by Slingbox?

Thanks for the help.

Use the G-Wireless Game Adapter from Linksys. Just remember that whatever Wireless adapter you buy to trigger your router to a specific port. I do not remember the number but it makes a huge difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts