Jason Taylor traded to Redskins

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I hope the decision to pick up his contract was made by the football people rather than by the PR people. He is 33 years old and will now have to adapt his game to fit into another team's defensive scheme. He therefore might not post the same impressive tackles/sacks numbers in the Redskings system. You might remember that Larar Arrington went from being a favorite son to being persona non grata when a new defensive scheme made some of his physical skills less essential.

He still has a few good years left. I like this move. :D

In the short term, this could be a good move, IF the Redskins were a contender. We all saw how important a pass rush was in last years Super Bowl (Strahan and Umenyiora). Unfortunately for the Redskins though, I don't see them as beinga serious contender this year. They finished 9-7 last year, but played the AFC East.

Taylor's 34. He also comes with an $8 million price tag for 2008 and $8.5 million for 2009. The last time I heard, the Redskins were 22 million over the salary cap. This move certainly doesn't help. Let's hope this doesn't turn out to be another instance in which owner Daniel Snyder gives up draft picks for an over-the-hill/ underachieving vet.

Personally, I think this was more of a panic move. Their starting defensive end Phillip Daniels suffered a season-ending knee ligament injury during yesterday morning's practice.

In the short term, this could be a good move, IF the Redskins were a contender. We all saw how important a pass rush was in last years Super Bowl (Strahan and Umenyiora). Unfortunately for the Redskins though, I don't see them as beinga serious contender this year. They finished 9-7 last year, but played the AFC East.

Taylor's 34. He also comes with an $8 million price tag for 2008 and $8.5 million for 2009. The last time I heard, the Redskins were 22 million over the salary cap. This move certainly doesn't help. Let's hope this doesn't turn out to be another instance in which owner Daniel Snyder gives up draft picks for an over-the-hill/ underachieving vet.

Personally, I think this was more of a panic move. Their starting defensive end Phillip Daniels suffered a season-ending knee ligament injury during yesterday morning's practice.

OF COURSE it was a panic move. Because Taylor would not commit to more than one year...NO ONE would commit anything more than a 4th round pic. NOT ONLY did they give up a #2, they ALSO gave up a #6....Miami came out winning TWICE.

He never requested a trade......

ESPN - Skins trade for Dolphins' Taylor after Daniels goes down - NFL

Skins trade for Dolphins' Taylor after Daniels goes down

ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 21, 2008, 12:11 PM ET
=======================================================
After losing defensive end Phillip Daniels for the season, the Washington Redskins moved quickly to fill the void.

The Redskins acquired Jason Taylor from the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.

The Dolphins will receive a second-round pick in 2009 and a sixth-rounder in 2010.

According to ESPN.com's John Clayton, Taylor told the Redskins he did not need to renegotiate and was willing to play for the final two years of his contract. He is scheduled to make $8.1 million this season. With around $9 million of cap room, the Redskins were able to work the trade quickly.

The Dolphins had been waiting for an opportunity to trade Taylor, who asked to be moved to a playoff contender at the beginning of the offseason. Before the draft, the Dolphins were asking for a first-round draft choice. They lowered the demand later to a second-rounder.

Taylor didn't exactly win over Miami executive vice president of football operations Bill Parcells. The veteran missed all of the team's offseason work while competing in ABC's "Dancing With The Stars."

A six-time Pro Bowl defensive end and the 2006 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, Taylor fell out of favor in Miami after spending his offseason on the TV show rather than working out with teammates.

"We're fortunate there was a guy that caliber on the market when somebody got hurt," Washington executive vice president Vinny Cerrato said. "Normally, in most years, there's not a guy of that caliber on the market."

Taylor Made For Consistency

The Redskins will be getting a pass-rusher who always puts up numbers. Jason Taylor has had more than 11 sacks in each of the past three seasons. Here's the list of players who were active in 2007 who have the most seasons with at least 10 sacks.

Player

10+ sack seasons

Status
Simeon Rice 8 Free agent
Jason Taylor 6 Traded
Michael Strahan 6 Retired

The 33-year-old Taylor has played 11 NFL seasons, all with Miami, and he's started every game each of the past eight years.

"I love Miami [and] will always cherish my 11 years with the Dolphins," Taylor said in a statement. "Having said that, I'm looking forward to meeting with Mr. Snyder and getting to know my new coaches and teammates. I'm just proud to be representing our nation's capital as a Redskin."

He had 11 sacks during the 2007 season, giving him 117 over his career.

"His play speaks for itself. I think it's easy to talk about Jason Taylor. He's got statistics and everything else to back up everything that he's done," Cerrato said.

Taylor has said he planned to play only one more season.

But Cerrato said: "I'm 100 percent positive he'll play longer than one year."

Taylor's agent, Gary Wichard, said it's possible Taylor will play beyond the coming season.

"The Dolphins got real good value for Jason," Wichard said. "And he's excited about going to Washington -- he wanted an opportunity to compete in the playoffs in 2008. At the same time, this is the end of his years with the Dolphins, so it's kind of bittersweet."

The Dolphins released statements from new general manager Jeff Ireland and owner Wayne Huizenga thanking Taylor for his contributions. There was no comment from Parcells.

Most Career Sacks, Active Players
Player Sacks
Jason Taylor 117.0
Kevin Carter 100.5
Willie McGinest 85.0
La'Roi Glover 83.0
Trevor Pryce 79.0

"Ever since he joined the team as a rookie, he has been outstanding on the field and a leader in our community," Huizenga said. "Whether it was his intensity between the lines or his commitment to his charitable works, he made a lasting impact here."

Last season, Taylor was chosen NFL Man of the Year and was the lone Pro Bowl player for a Dolphins team that went 1-15. His departure is the latest move in a major roster shakeup.

In Miami, Taylor played primarily at right end, but Cerrato said Washington will move him to the left side, where Daniels was the starter. Andre Carter plays right defensive end for the Redskins.

Wichard said he first became aware the deal might happen Sunday morning.

"When we heard Daniels went down, that started it on a fast track," Wichard said.

Daniels, a starter, was hurt on the initial play of 7-on-7 offense vs. defense drills on Sunday. He stayed down on the turf for several minutes before being taken away on a cart, a towel draped over his head. He's expected to have surgery Friday.

"Not a good way to start, at all," middle linebacker London Fletcher said. "It's a big blow to our defense. Phil was a tremendous leader, excellent at playing the run, and was going to be our third-down attack guy. With him going down, it's like we're replacing two guys."

SportsNation
Will this be Jason Taylor's final season?
Yes
No

ESPN.com's John Clayton first reported Daniels' season-ending injury and the fact that the Redskins were pursuing Taylor.

Cerrato said Taylor is expected to report to Redskins training camp on Monday -- something the player's agent confirmed.

The Redskins also lost another defensive end, reserve Alex Buzbee, to a season-ending injury during their afternoon practice. Buzbee ruptured his Achilles tendon.

"With Phillip gone, and now Buzbee gone, there's a hole there," head coach Jim Zorn said. "And Phillip has created a big hole."

Day 1 of Zorn's training camp debut as an NFL head coach also included this sight: Cornerback Fred Smoot threw off his left shoe and clearly was in pain after wideout Santana Moss landed on him during the afternoon practice. It turned out Smoot sprained his ankle and is expected to only miss a week or less.

"I love sprained ankles now, because we know that's just a few days' deal," Zorn said, cracking a smile.

080721 Dancing with a Dolphin

NFL.com Video

Jason Taylor discusses his time with the Dolphins and his role in the ABC hit series Dancing with the Stars.

He was more serious while speaking about the loss of Daniels, who has played 12 seasons in the NFL with Washington, Chicago and Seattle. His 59 career sacks rank 17th among active players.

"The hard part is he was so ready, and he did everything that he could possibly do to not just have a great training camp but an excellent football season," Zorn said. "And now he's got a new challenge before him, and of course we have a new challenge before us."

The Redskins began training camp with Erasmus James sidelined. He's a former first-round pick who has had serious knee injuries, and Zorn said he doesn't expect James to be able to begin practicing until next month.

Information from ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Last edited:
The last time I heard, the Redskins were 22 million over the salary cap. This move certainly doesn't help.

The Redskins were the only team that began the offseason over the cap -- laughably over, in fact, at a $19 million cap deficit -- and they did the smart thing, the thing the Patriots did in 2000 when Bill Belichick began to right the Pats' ship. Instead of spending money by borrowing against the future, the Patriots shaved more than $13 million off their cap back then; the Redskins did the same, reversing their cap state by $29 million. At the close of business Friday, they were $9.8 million under the league's cap.

Anatomy of Jason Taylor trade - Peter King - SI.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts