Jay Leno to '60 Minutes': I Was 'Blindsided' by First 'Tonight Show' Ouster

Jay Leno is opening up about losing The Tonight Show twice. In an interview set to air Sunday on CBS' 60 Minutes, Leno tells Steve Kroft the 2009 debacle in which NBC pushed him from his show and handed it to Conan O'Brien made him feel like he'd been dumped by a girlfriend.

hollywoodreporter.com

Just shows again how classy a guy Leno is. No matter what he sees the bright side and is a team player.

Quote of the Day

"I didn't quite understand that, but I never chose to answer any of those things or make fun of any other people involved," Leno told Kroft. "It's not my way."

Let's see...if you're a politician, celebrity or anyone in the news, Leno will make fun of you and yours and punish these poor souls unmercifully for a laugh. So it's good to make fun of everyone else, but making fun of anyone close to him is bad and not his way? Am I reading this correctly?

"I didn't quite understand that, but I never chose to answer any of those things or make fun of any other people involved," Leno told Kroft. "It's not my way."

Let's see...if you're a politician, celebrity or anyone in the news, Leno will make fun of you and yours and punish these poor souls unmercifully for a laugh. So it's good to make fun of everyone else, but making fun of anyone close to him is bad and not his way? Am I reading this correctly?

More like I will make fun of interesting news, but not my close friends and associates.

I liked Conan on Late Night, never thought he would do well on the Tonight Show. I do think Fallon will do well. That said I have been a Leno person over Letterman not because Letterman isn't funny - he can be exceedingly funny, but too much one sided politics for me. Leno is much more even handed.

I liked Conan on Late Night, never thought he would do well on the Tonight Show. I do think Fallon will do well. That said I have been a Leno person over Letterman not because Letterman isn't funny - he can be exceedingly funny, but too much one sided politics for me. Leno is much more even handed.

I rarely find Letterman funny ...

He's not ready to retire though, he performs every Sunday night at a local LA club according to the 60 minutes piece (they didn't mention his Vegas stints). I have a feeling he'll be on a premium network soon for specials if not a regular show...

I think he should just retire. He already has all the money he could possibly need or want. Just enjoy it and show up at special events and stand up clubs if he wants to.

He's already doing Stand Up show ...

I think he may be doing things on TV just to give him something to do .... like you said, Money is NOT an issue.

I don't see any reason for him to go back on the air, unless he has something to prove , ........possibly that NBC was wrong to put him out to pasture not once but twice now.

Maybe they should put him on a time slot next to Conan on TBS, bumping Conan's time slot one hour later and letting Leno have his slot. That would be kind of funny.

After listening to his interview, I don't think he will be coming back to late-night TV. However, I do see him involved with a car show, hosting a comedy special, maybe doing some comedy/reality schtick, or perhaps being a man-about-town on the food channel, greasy spoon edition. Anything to keep busy. Conversely, he's going to keep his night gigs telling jokes...for which he gets paid very well. Who knows, he probably will spend more time with his wife and, let's be honest, Jay is a stand-up comedian who is brilliant at his job because of his comedic timing and after he learned how to interview a guest. He's not a writer, he's not an actor, he's not producer, and he doesn't give me the impression that he would be happy, or any good, doing those things long-term. Jay's just a guy who enjoyes telling jokes (a skill he has mastered) and working on cars - not much else. We may just have to buy a ticket at one of his nightclubs to see him perform. We shall see.

I think he should just retire. He already has all the money he could possibly need or want. Just enjoy it and show up at special events and stand up clubs if he wants to.

Some people love to work, he seems to be one of them. He was set financially a long time ago, but he loves doing shows.

...and buying cars, motorcycles and steam engines.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)