Jerking Picture

Pegasus

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Has anyone else had a problem of a jerky or jumpy picture, especially on OTA channels. I had my box replaced and the problem continues. I did not have this problem when I had v268. The 811 is totally unwatchable now.

Since you say it is completely unwatchable I'm assuming this is a constant thing and not just a plib or hicup while changing channels.

Check all your cabling for interference. Make sure they aren't wrapped around each, etc.

Then you want to start playing detective and trying different cable, different tv, etc.

happy hunting :yes

You are in the same boat as me. People say this problem existed before 269, but I never experienced it until 269. I had my box replaced also and it continues on OTA, SD, and HD channels. My dolby digital feed is flaking out more than before too (2 seconds or so at a time of no sound, receiver goes back to prologic, then back to DD, this does not happen with my other receiver nor when playing DVD's).

A friend who has an 811 and 921 notices it also on his 811 since the 269 update. We both get it on an infrequent basis after about 30 minutes of watching a channel, and the only easy fix is to change the channel and come back and it's fine. But it happens way to often for it to be just a random problem.

I've checked and replaced all the cabling, and the problem still exists. I use the same cables with my Samsung OTA receiver and the picture is perfect.

hmm, I've never had these problems. When I first got the receiver I had the HD channels freeze and pixelate a bit, but that was fixed when I boosted up my signal strength.

I also wonder sometimes if people are putting these 811s in enlcosures or sitting something on top of them. Without airflow they could overheat easily.

but I dunno :cool:

OdiOdin said:
hmm, I've never had these problems. When I first got the receiver I had the HD channels freeze and pixelate a bit, but that was fixed when I boosted up my signal strength.

I also wonder sometimes if people are putting these 811s in enlcosures or sitting something on top of them. Without airflow they could overheat easily.

but I dunno :cool:

my 811 sits in the open in the basement, cool and plenty of airflow. It's not the cabling at any point as it is happening to many people and we all didn't have the same installer and the same screwed up cabling. I am not an expert, but either to compression is screwy lately or the new software update has caused the problems to occur more often on boxes there were fine before.

I am on my 3rd 811 in since Feb (bad power supply on first, second was swapped out when I complained to dish of the jerky video, which is still occuring on my 3rd one).

This is happening on cloudy days, sunny days, hot days, cold days, it is not weather related. I am just surprised that more people now aren't complaining about it.

Btw, my signal strengths range from 87 - 122.

OdiOdin said:
sometimes you have to hire an exorcist to get rid of the poltergeist and curses :yes

heh, I tried that, father Flannigan ran out screaming when he saw I had an 811. :shocked

Pegasus,

If you're in a part of the country that has bad power, (lightening, rural or "back" East then I'd think about a UPS for the 811. Also check your earth ground on your satellite cables into the house. Just a thought!

Regards

I have clean electric and do have a UPS on the 811. Checking the grounding is a thought though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts