Jimmy Rollins

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheTimm

Made In Detroit
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 18, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I'm sure most of you are aware that Jimmy Rollins is rolling over a 36-game hitting streak into this season. Sure, he has a looooong way to go before seriously challenging 56. And yes, that DiMaggio guy did it in a single season, so Rollins' feat wouldn't be quite the same if he does it. But I'm still pulling for him. Why not? It's kinda fun to see these historic records get challenged.

For the record, I don't think he'll come anywhere near DiMaggio. I'll bet he goes hitless today. Anyone else have any thoughts/predictions?

he may get a hit today but will fall way short

These "continuous game" things like this that go over 2 seasons are a farce. Games played yes...but ones like these should not count.
(just my .02)

Iceberg said:

These "continuous game" things like this that go over 2 seasons are a farce. Games played yes...but ones like these should not count.
(just my .02)

I think you are right Iceberg about the over the 2 seasons record. I believe the concensus is that there will be two records if he gets past Joe D -- consecutive games in one season & the other over two seasons. Not Jimmy Rollins fault but I still think that his record over two season will be an accomplishment if he goes over 56.

Oh, I agree -- it's a totally different record. I think they've already said both the records will be in the books even if Rollins does go past 56.
While I definitely don't think it would be as impressive as doing it in one season, I think calling it a "farce" may be a little overboard. I mean if he does happpen to start the season with a 20-game hitting streak (unlikely) can we really expect everyone to just ignore the fact that he got hits in the last 36 games he played last year? I think it is certainly noteworthy and worth being recorded as a record -- a different record, however, than a single-season hitting streak.

Wow, I didn't even realize he had a 36 game hit streak at the end of the year. I think I was concentrating on the Bears too much as the Cubs had already proven their worth late last summer.

I think it would be mugh harder to have a hit streak that extends in 2 seasons. I mean he could have been in one of those zones and hit in 56 straight in one season. Now he had all winter to think about it and wonder if he can do it.

TheTimm said:
Oh, I agree -- it's a totally different record. I think they've already said both the records will be in the books even if Rollins does go past 56.
Of course, you making the assumption his streak doesn't get to 93. Then he would own both records.

I'm pulling for him for no other reason than there will be less talk about Bonds.

And YES he has a hit tonight also !!!

Personally , I doubt that he gets anywhere close, probably get to about 40 and thats about it.

Jimbo

Iceberg said:

(just my .02)

I totally agree with records not continuing over two years. It irked me with my own Pats when they tried to give them some record for winning so many games in a row which came over a two year time span. That was a farce.

herdfan said:
Of course, you making the assumption his streak doesn't get to 93. Then he would own both records.
:D
Guilty as charged. You're absolutely right -- I have been assuming it won't get to 93! Go Jimmy! 93 or bust!

boston area dtv said:
I totally agree with records not continuing over two years. It irked me with my own Pats when they tried to give them some record for winning so many games in a row which came over a two year time span. That was a farce.

I being a Steelers fan , DID agree with the Patriots streak over 2 years, I thought it was impressive considering all the changes a NFL goes thru each off season.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)