Joey 2.0 is the worst device I have ever used...

FearTheVoices

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
NH
Joey 2.0 is the worst device I have ever used relating to television, and I will say it's pretty close to the top across all electronic drives I have ever used. I have tried to refrain from posting this thread for a few days now but this thing is just atrocious and need to vent lol.

The super Joey I previously had was light years ahead of this in the speed department. This J2 is extremely slow and there are a few instances where it has rebooted randomly with a refresh 9999 error, but that does not really bother me much. Everything is just bogged down and the delays between pressing a button and something happening is comical either be it in the UI or in On-Demand. For them to actually release this as a finished product is mind boggling.

The H3 itself is nice and seems pretty smooth overall. As far as the new UI though, I thought it was going to be much more polished than what we got. It doesn't look like they put much thought in the design and layout overall. The GUI looks like it was done by someone with minimal experience in the field and just slapped whatever they could together to get it out.

I know some of you will say that the hardware and software was just released and we are the beta testers, and I will agree with that. On the other hand, I have been beta testing hardware, software and been part of pilot programs for sites for years and nothing was this bad upon release. I am most likely going to call dish tomorrow and just cancel the second tv and return the J2 unless any of you have some recommendations that may alleviate any of the problems I mentioned.

Joey 2.0 is the worst device I have ever used relating to television

You must not have ever had to use a Joey 1.0. ;)

Perhaps not to the level of the hyperbole in the OP, stepping from a Super Joey back to a regular Joey (even a 2.0) would be frustrating speed-wise...I'll give him that much. In that regard, I've found a Wireless Joey seems to perform a little better than the Joey 2.0. Some say the 4K Joey is even faster, closer to the speed of the H3 initially, but I've not had one of those personally.

Reactions: Hall
Try the Joey 1.0 ,
I wanna &$/ myself during education of system. I have been doing a lot of 4K's for the rich folk lately and it's just SUPER FAST. Then you get the Joey 2 which is a decent.
If your having that much problems though . Maybe your MoCa is garbage. Could be Hub, LNB, and Cable run from LNB to HuB, Hopper to Hub, Hub to Joey. Many things could be causing it to be so slow and sluggish as you are claiming.
If you are desiring Super Fast response, I recommend you pay for the Luxury of the 4K Joey.
Dish doesn't care if you have a 4K tv or not, nor us technicians.
The wireless is not much faster and depends on the Wireless Access Point. The less Components in the system, the better !

You must not have ever had to use a Joey 1.0. ;)
Took the words out of my mouth !
Perhaps not to the level of the hyperbole in the OP, stepping from a Super Joey back to a regular Joey (even a 2.0) would be frustrating speed-wise...I'll give him that much. In that regard, I've found a Wireless Joey seems to perform a little better than the Joey 2.0. Some say the 4K Joey is even faster, closer to the speed of the H3 initially, but I've not had one of those personally.
The original Joey is dog-slow compared to all other hardware in the Hopper/Joey family. The Joey 2 is supposed to be noticeably faster with the wireless Joey very similar. The Super Joey should be a little faster. Then the 4K Joey should be substantially faster than all of them.

Reactions: DWS44
If I had to rank the equipment I've used in order from fastest to slowest it would look like this:

(NOTE: The first 2 are extremely close)

1. Genie HR44
2. Hopper 3
3. Hopper 2
4. 4K Joey
5. Super Joey
6. Genie Client CR41
7. HR24
8. HR34
9. Joey 2.0
10. Joey 1.0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are the Joey 2.0s really that bad? I am getting a bunch of them with my new Hopper 3 in a couple of days. Starting to get nervous. I want everything to work well without lag.

Are the Joey 2.0s really that bad? I am getting a bunch of them with my new Hopper 3 in a couple of days. Starting to get nervous. I want everything to work well without lag.
I don't believe so. I have 2 and have not experienced any major issues. I must admit, though, that I use the Hopper 3 more than any of the clients because the H3 is in my living room, where I watch most of my tv. My son has one in his room and he never complains. I have used the Joey 2 in our bedroom and I don't have any complaints. Just my two cents....

Reactions: bspei
The thread title is a huge exaggeration by someone that has an individual problem. Joey2 is slower than Hopper3, but perfectly adequate. Remember it is often sending inputs to the Hopper3 and acting on the response. All clients work that way.

Had Joey 1's with the Hopper 1. Now Joey 2.0's with the Hopper 3. Both an improvement.

If the Joey 2.0 is the worst device ever, then I would say there is a very limited exposure in life.

Reactions: ChadT41
Had Joey 1's with the Hopper 1. Now Joey 2.0's with the Hopper 3. Both an improvement.

If the Joey 2.0 is the worst device ever, then I would say there is a very limited exposure in life.
This would honestly be my belief as well. I have used everything from the 211 through the H3/J2/WJ. I have not used the 4K Joey or the Super Joey, however, but I primarily watch on the J2 with my family in the living room, and it works so well that even my kids can use it effortlessly. The UI makes more sense for my gf, her mother, and the kids, as they understand it better than the old UI. I showed my MiL today the voice remote and let her play with it, and now she wants to get Dish when she gets home to NC on Tuesday. I must disagree with the entirety of the OP, in my opinion and the technologically challenged folks in my home. I also like that I can move the WJ between my kitchen for the ole lady while cooking and cleaning, and my office.

I have 3 Joey 2.0s and do not believe I have hada problem with any of them. I do not mean to dismiss or make light of your issues. I am sure they are real andd serious but your experience may notbe universal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)