Joey 2.0 vs 4k

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
Can someone explain to me, why anyone would want a Joey 2.0 instead of a 4k Joey? You need to upgrade to be compatible with the H3, why in the world would you not just get the 4k.....

Reactions: charlesrshell
Can someone explain to me, why anyone would want a Joey 2.0 instead of a 4k Joey? You need to upgrade to be compatible with the H3, why in the world would you not just get the 4k.....
Well, let's see. The 4K Joey will cost you $50 and the Joey 2 will cost you nothing. The Joey 2 is entirely compatible with the H3. The only difference is that the 4K Joey will give you PIP, eventually, and of course 4K if you have a 4K TV hooked up to it.....

Reactions: bspei and B1gted
4K Joey is reportedly much faster, too. Joey 2 is noticeably faster than the Joey 1, but its not setting any speed records. I'd say cost is about the only reason to pass over a 4K for a Joey 2.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, let's see. The 4K Joey will cost you $50 and the Joey 2 will cost you nothing. The Joey 2 is entirely compatible with the H3. The only difference is that the 4K Joey will give you PIP, eventually, and of course 4K if you have a 4K TV hooked up to it.....
And a little faster.

I didn't pay $50 for it, and haven't heard anything about that. That would be the only reason to not get the better joey. If the $50 is correct, I won't be surprised if Dish drops the $50 charge in the not to distant future, seems like they could have just not bothered with the 2.0, and made the 4k free from the get go.

Yeah...According to Dish, there is a $50 fee to get it, though you arent the only one who reports getting that waived. I'm still surprised they left the 4K Joey at the same monthly fee as the Joey 1/2, to be honest. (Of course, that could also change in the future)

I didn't pay $50 for it, and haven't heard anything about that. That would be the only reason to not get the better joey. If the $50 is correct, I won't be surprised if Dish drops the $50 charge in the not to distant future, seems like they could have just not bothered with the 2.0, and made the 4k free from the get go.
The Joey 2.0 is not really new, production began somewhere around mid 2014. It was previously called the Joey CR internally. So, it's not like they had Echostar to design a completely new Joey 2.0 just for the Hopper 3.

The 2.0 has been around for quite some time, long before the 4K. It was a second generation Joey that they called the Joey CR. It was always faster than the the original Joey. It only comes up now because the H3 is not very compatible with the original Joey so they had to replace the Joey 1s if upgrading to the H3. You may well see a raise in the monthly cost of the 4K Joey in the future. Not so with the Joey 2.

The 4K Joey costs DISH more to make and thats the reason why they are charging people $50 more for the 4K Joey as they want to make sure people want it.

There are no plans on dropping that fee.

Perhaps they like like watching Netflix and things in their home media library. Neither of these works on the 4 K joey and who knows how long it will be or even if Dish will fix this.

Ironically, the 4k joey is named after its least-useful feature, considering that the vast majority of content available isn't 4k to begin with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts