Joey 3.0 issues

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
Just got upgarded to an H3 with 3 Joey 3s. Everything was working when the tech left, including all joeys.
Turned everything off. Went to go turn on a joey, and it's stuck at the waiting to download. This normal on a new install? Hopper version shows u508. Available joey software shows N/A.
All 3 joeys are now at the waiting to download screen.

Last edited:
It's been 1 1/2 hrs. Still waiting to download. My concern is the H3 still shows Available joey software shows N/A.

It's been 1 1/2 hrs. Still waiting to download. My concern is the H3 still shows Available joey software shows N/A.

Sounds like a problem. The H3 probably took the latest U508 software in a download when you first turned it off and the download for some reason didn't include the Joey software. Now the Joey is confused and unable to update.

Do you have the phone number of the tech who installed it? If you do call him/her.

Hmm. Was the Hopper on and the Joeys off when the Hopper dl the initial sw? After a reboot, THEN the Joeys should be turned on.

But since they worked initially, this seems a long shot.

Don't have the # of the tech. Trying to get that now. What's strange is one asked the other about the joey software N/A. Other stated that's not an issue. Wasn't really paying attention to what they were doing, but before they left, they showed me all 3 joeys working. Great, turned everything off. Turned on a joey short time later, and it's stuck. Other 2 same screen.

They shouldn't have left it with N/A on the Available Joey Software line.

I'll PM you.

Reactions: HipKat
Initally, he was stuck on the joey download software screen. 2nd tech arrived and noticed the H3 didn't have the latest software. He did everything correctly. Unplugged the joeys, let the H3 take the 508 upgrade, then got all 3 joeys working.
Was surprised when I turned one of the joeys back on and saw it stuck at the D/L screen. And he did ask his boss about the N/A. His reply was it's not a problem. Wasn't going to question it, since everything was working before he left.

He never got them working. The Hopper HAS to have U550 Joey software for the Joey 3 and I have yet to get one to d/l it lately. It's an issue that's been posted about many times on the tech portal. What he DID do was hit Skip Back - recall - Skip Back on the remote which will put the Joey on Live TV, but it's not downloaded. It's a work around to get the settings done, etc. My guess is he did it to get off the job and HOPE it would d/l the software before you noticed.

The fact it went from NA to downloading the software is encouraging. Dish is telling us to replace a Hopper that shows that. The process they want us to use to install is to plug in the Hopper and when it gets to the activation screen, use the skip back sequence to power down and let it upgrade. When it's done, leave it off for 20 minutes to get Joey Software, then plug it in. Activate and plug in Joeys.

This is a MAJOR issue lately. It's gotten to be very frustrating. I was going to start checking to see if the Hopper has Joey Software out of the box, let the Joeys D/L before I let the Hopper update so that they have software on them, unplug them while the Hopper updates, then plug them back in to get the newest software

Interesting. I recently had an H3 install and four Joey 2.0. But the installer could only get two of the Joey's to go through the authorization and and work properly. Another Joey was stuck on the download screen and the last Joey was only showing clear channels than other channel to which I subscribe via pay package.

well it was a long day for him so he left and I well it was a long day for him so he left and I told him I'd have Dish to take care of it. of course he said everything up to go through one of the hopper threes for access to the internet. however since I had connected all the dish receivers hardwired to my network I went through the process of putting all the devices Through My Lan not via MoCA.
Well immediately upon connection to the LAN, the joy that was stuck on the download page magically went through the download process and very quickly was up and ready for use as should be. the other Joey that was only showing channels in the clear very quickly began to show all the channels I subscribe to.

I really don't know why it worked. I was just speculating to myself that maybe the Joeys were able to talk to Dish via the Internet and then have download sent via sat, or maybe all the boxes couldn't see each other on his MoCA setup but when every device was put on the LAN, they all saw each other and maybe that did the magic trick to getting the downloads to occur on the final to Joey's.

of course after all the downloads all the Joey's and 2H threes were able to see each other on the entire Hopper system Network. I remember the installer saying a couple of times that he thought the tap was somehow preventing the download from taking place as if the tap were not allowing all the equipment to see each other. all I know is he kept saying "well the tap there, I was afraid of it happened because of the tap." I was also tired of looking forward to him leaving as well it was a long day for both of us, but I knew it would get sorted the next day at least.

I know every situation does not allow for every piece of Hopper equipment I know every situation does not allow for every piece of Hopper equipment to be connected by wire to a router but in such a case that might be work around if you can't get those Joey's the authorized properly. again I don't why it worked, but I'm glad it happened and I didn't have to deal with it the next day.

Does anyone have a pretty good explanation as to why getting the Joey's on the LAN seemed to do the trick? and if it was the tap then could someone explain exactly what might have been the problem that he was talking about? part of me thinks that the software have to be downloaded properly for all this to work before he left.

for for the record this was a contractor install assigned by Dish. I've nearly always found contractors to be inferior to the dish corporate installers. that is just my experience but probably because I'm in a metropolitan area filled with cheats and scanners everywhere.

Last edited:
Ahhh, that's actually and old trick. Connecting a "stuck" Joey to the Hopper via Ethernet to download it