Joey 3 w/o MoCA

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
My wife surprised me today by moving our daughter's Joey into another bedroom without a coax. So I figured, "No problem", I'll just hook it up to GigE and I'm done for now. The Joey boots up and refuses to do anything; the error message says it can't see the Hopper.

Unless I'm dreaming, the Joeys used to work without MoCA. Is there something I can do now before I pull and fish a new coax?

My wife surprised me today by moving our daughter's Joey into another bedroom without a coax. So I figured, "No problem", I'll just hook it up to GigE and I'm done for now. The Joey boots up and refuses to do anything; the error message says it can't see the Hopper.

Unless I'm dreaming, the Joeys used to work without MoCA. Is there something I can do now before I pull and fish a new coax?

TheKrell, you would need to run a new coax line to the bedroom where the Joey will be in. -Rosita L.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It would have to be connected directly to either the hopper, or to the same router the hopper is hardwired to.

Yes, it is hardwired to the same GigE switch that the H3 is wired to. Am I dreaming? This used to work!

I vaguely recall there being a difference in behavior between the two Ethernet ports on an H3 at one time in the past. Maybe that has changed by now, maybe not. I have my network plugged into the bottom port on the H3, and I have no issues with a couple of Joey 1s and a 4k Joey on Ethernet different places in the house, all with at least one switch between them and the H3.

Reactions: TheKrell
No it should. Hmm.. I've ran joeys via Ethernet right off the hopper. The switch shouldn't kill anything tho.. I'm thinking......

OK, what are you thinking? The switch won't kill the signal? It certainly shouldn't. How would it even know when it's going through a GigE switch?
I have my network plugged into the bottom port on the H3, and I have no issues with a couple of Joey 1s and a 4k Joey on Ethernet different places in the house, all with at least one switch between them and the H3.

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming. So, we have a couple of variables: Joey 3 and the Ethernet port I'm using on the Hopper 3. I haven't examined which port I'm using yet. I suspect the Joey 3.

Can anybody with a Joey 3 and both MoCA and Ethernet connections unplug the coax as a test?

Yeah; I'm not saying the Joey is bad. It also occurs to me that there is a 3rd variable I have yet to eliminate: my wall jack and cable down to my switch. It was working before for my HP printer, or my wife's computer (and I don't know which). But I think the HP is only fast Ethernet, and my wife's computer might have fallen back to fast Ethernet if there was something wrong with the cabling. And that requires only 2 pair rather than all 4 pair for GigE.

Last edited:
I have a Joey 2 running over ethernet, and it is actually snappier than the one running directly over MoCA. Here is the diagram of what is between the Hopper3 and Joey 2 for reference:

Hopper3 -> Gigabit Switch -> MoCA 2.0 Adapter -> MoCA 2.0 Adapter -> Gigabit Switch -> Gigabit Switch -> Joey 2

Hopper3 -> Gigabit Switch -> MoCA 2.0 Adapter -> MoCA 2.0 Adapter -> Gigabit Switch -> Gigabit Switch -> Joey 2

I'm lost. What are those MoCA adapters doing in there? No twisted pair? I'm surprised it's snappier with all that gear in series.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSheridan
I'm lost. What are those MoCA adapters doing in there? No twisted pair? I'm surprised it's snapper with all that gear in series.

I don't have Ethernet in my living room, so I am using Actiontec MoCA 2.0 adapters to connect back to the wiring closet. I get about 580Mbps with sub-millisecond latency. The Joey is in the kitchen which does have Cat 5e from the wiring closet.

The switches are all 3 microsecond latency, so the MoCA is really the only thing that would slow it down at all.

I have a Joey 3 running via ethernet to the same switch the Hopper 3 is using

Hopper 3-->Ethernet Switch<--Joey 3

I originally had it hooked up via both Coax and ethernet. Then I disconnected the coax, rebooted the Joey and it has been working fine since.

Check the IP address on both devices, make sure they are both on the same subnet.

Reactions: TheKrell and ncted
I have a Joey 3 running via ethernet to the same switch the Hopper 3 is using

Hopper 3-->Ethernet Switch<--Joey 3

And now I do too! I had to hit the home button twice and navigate to settings and then network. It persisted in claiming it had no connection. So I reset the network and voila. Connected right up and runs like a champ. Why it can't do that automatically upon reboot (which I tried several times), I have no idea.

Last edited:
And now I do too! I had to hit the home button twice and navigate to settings and then network. It persisted in claiming it had no connection. So I reset the network and voila. Connected right up and runs like a champ. Why it can't do that automatically upon reboot (which I tried several times), I have no idea.
Because it is a non supported method! ;)

Nice!

I have my kitchen Joey 3 ran via Ethernet to a WiFi extender. Hopper 3 Ethernet to router. Everything works well. Glad you got it figured out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)