Joey 4K and network connection

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
Does the Joey 4K have to be connected directly to the Hopper 3 or can it go through a hub and my router? I have the Hopper 3 connected directly to my router.

Joey 4k must be directly connected to Hopper.

I started thinking about your advice that the Joey Ethernet must be connected directly to the Hopper 3 Ethernet. But then I have another question. If this is the case what happens if I install more than 1 Joey? The Hopper 3 only has 2 Ethernet connections. Maybe I don't see or understand the big picture but having to hook the joey to the Hopper 3 now doesn't seem correct.

I started thinking about your advice that the Joey Ethernet must be connected directly to the Hopper 3 Ethernet. But then I have another question. If this is the case what happens if I install more than 1 Joey? The Hopper 3 only has 2 Ethernet connections. Maybe I don't see or understand the big picture but having to hook the joey to the Hopper 3 now doesn't seem correct.
Well, for the record, I was not specifically saying (nor recommending) that you should connect with ethernet, just that the two need to directly connected, not via a router as your were inquiring. I personally would stick with the standard coax vable connections, especially if you forsee future Joey additions.

Well, for the record, I was not specifically saying (nor recommending) that you should connect with ethernet, just that the two need to directly connected, not via a router as your were inquiring. I personally would stick with the standard coax vable connections, especially if you forsee future Joey additions.

OK I guess I read between the lines. So with your first recommendation will it cause any problems if I did hook the Joey to the Hopper 3 with both an Ethernet cable directly and coax cable or is this just
over kill? So I guess the only connection needed is via coax through a single or dual hub.

OK I guess I read between the lines. So with your first recommendation will it cause any problems if I did hook the Joey to the Hopper 3 with both an Ethernet cable directly and coax cable or is this just
over kill?
You can not do both AFAIK!. Ethernet has NO advantage over coax (and again, not supported). I get the feeling you are "wanting" to use the ethernet you have, but you really should stick with the "coax program".

Reactions: bmetelsky
You can not do both AFAIK!. Ethernet has NO advantage over coax (and again, not supported). I get the feeling you are "wanting" to use the ethernet you have, but you really should stick with the "coax program".
No I don't "want" to use the Ethernet. But I did run both last night. I'm used to having multiple receivers and each connected to the internet. The Hopper 3 is connected to the internet.
And since Dish Network doesn't make installation information available to users like me that's why I asked the question. The older receivers I had, a 722K and a 211K, were no
brainers to install. I knew that it was recommended that they should be connected to a phone line or the internet.

I only asked the question about hooking the Joey to the router because of my past experience with the VIP receivers. Thanks for clearing the Ethernet connections for the Joey and Hopper 3
for me. I try to do all of installations myself. Why? Because I like doing it. I work with radios, radar and such at work. So doing the installations is not beyond my abilities. But the lack
of available installation documentation sucks.

Anyway thanks for the info.

over kill? So I guess the only connection needed is via coax through a single or dual hub.
Joey4K, Joey2, Joey1 will all work fine over Ethernet with both H3 and Joey wire connected to the switch.

Just realize it's not officially supported. Understand TV on the Joey will be dependent upon proper functioning of whatever switch/router/etc is between the Joey and Hopper. If the network infrastructure fails it's not a Dish problem. If a tech is ever sent to troubleshoot a Joey issue, he would be justified in saying "not supported" and leaving it at that.

No I don't "want" to use the Ethernet. But I did run both last night. I'm used to having multiple receivers and each connected to the internet. The Hopper 3 is connected to the internet.
And since Dish Network doesn't make installation information available to users like me that's why I asked the question. The older receivers I had, a 722K and a 211K, were no
brainers to install. I knew that it was recommended that they should be connected to a phone line or the internet.

I only asked the question about hooking the Joey to the router because of my past experience with the VIP receivers. Thanks for clearing the Ethernet connections for the Joey and Hopper 3
for me. I try to do all of installations myself. Why? Because I like doing it. I work with radios, radar and such at work. So doing the installations is not beyond my abilities. But the lack
of available installation documentation sucks.

Anyway thanks for the info.
I applaud your DIY drive. I USED to have it, LOL. I just hope you are clear the once the Hopper in connected to the internet, so are the Joeys.

I applaud your DIY drive. I USED to have it, LOL. I just hope you are clear the once the Hopper in connected to the internet, so are the Joeys.

Got it. No direct connection to the internet for the Joey.

As for the DIY well I'm 62 years old. I still climb my 40' ham radio tower when I have to
but it gets a bit harder each time.

When I signed up for Dish I didn't feel like waiting for a Tech to install my equipment. I
took down my C band dish and installed my first Dish Network dish and receiver with
no problem.

I'm not doing as much hands on at work which I miss so I guess I'm making up for it at
home.

Again Thanks for the info.

Got it. No direct connection to the internet for the Joey.

As for the DIY well I'm 62 years old. I still climb my 40' ham radio tower when I have to
but it gets a bit harder each time.

When I signed up for Dish I didn't feel like waiting for a Tech to install my equipment. I
took down my C band dish and installed my first Dish Network dish and receiver with
no problem.

I'm not doing as much hands on at work which I miss so I guess I'm making up for it at
home.

Again Thanks for the info.
Well, I am 1 year older than you, and the older I get, my fear of heights increases. A buddy of mine used to do all sorts of "risky" things that did not seem so 10-15 years ago. Recently, he was getting ready to undertake another such venture. I told him he needed to "start acting your AGE". Next thing I knew, he hired the project out, and later told me he decided to take my advice.

Reactions: NR2D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)