Joey 4k bridging option for ethernet

kmschmit

Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
Denver
Hello,

My Joey 4k is connected to my Hopper 3 via coax with bridging turned on, and everything works. However, I want to be able to bridge the RJ45 from the Joey to a 4K Smart TV or XBOX or media player that has Ethernet.

I see that in the Joey SETTINGS-INTERNET-ADVANCED option there is a BRIDGING menu option but it is greyed out. MOCD network has a correct IP address on the JOEY and HOPPER, that matches home network.

I have already tried connecting my laptop via RJ45 to the JOEY, and I get that generic 169.254.x.x address exchanged between the JOEY and the LAPTOP. I tried setting the laptop Ethernet to the correct subnet that the JOEY is on (192.168.x.x) but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Wireless is already problematic at this location for streaming 4k content from like AMAZON PRIME service via 4k Smart TV and that is why a wired connection would be ideal. Basically, I want to use the existing MOCD network that works and bridge it to that Ethernet Jack on the Joey.

What is that RJ45 jack on the Joey and that bridging menu option under the joey used for anyway? I do appreciate the help even if it is to tell me that I am thinking about this completely wrong. :)

Maybe a HIC might work for your situation but I am not sure. Someone here in SatGuys has a lot of knowledge about HICs might see your post and can help.

I have used a HIC for this purpose before with success. One thing to keep in mind, however. Internet speed will be the same as what the Hopper receives. For example, if the Hopper is connected to internet via an RJ45 connector or a HIC, you will get the same, presumably fast result from the HIC. But, If Hopper is connected wireless, and the signal is less than (slower) that of a wired connection, the HIC will pass that same signal strength.

I have used a HIC for this purpose before with success. One thing to keep in mind, however. Internet speed will be the same as what the Hopper receives. For example, if the Hopper is connected to internet via an RJ45 connector or a HIC, you will get the same, presumably fast result from the HIC. But, If Hopper is connected wireless, and the signal is less than (slower) that of a wired connection, the HIC will pass that same signal strength.

Thank you so much everyone, I will go take a look at a HIC.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thank you so much everyone, I will go take a look at a HIC.
The HICs are so utilitarian. Since I moved last year, do not need for ethernrt, but now it is the Moca bridge to a Wireless Joey access point at the other end of the house from the Hopper. "No Home Should be Without One!" :D

If you had Directv, a 2 way splitter and a decca would get eithernet to your smart tv.

I think you can use that with similar components on dish

I just tried that with my old deca and it won’t make a network connection. I think it’s a different frequency than dish’s moca. D* and dish more than likely not the same. Moca can run on two different frequencies. Therefore they can run side by side possibly. I can’t test that as all I have is half the deca equipment.
IMG_1251.jpg

But if you have the other half as well(which is basically D* version of the HIC) then you can try it.