Joey Changing Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
I have a 2 hopper 4 joey system, the joey in my kitchen has been changing channels on its own the past few days for no apparent reason. The kitchen joey feeds off the living room hopper which also feeds my bar in basement which is rarely used so its not from a tuner conflict. All the other rooms are fine.

I have a 2 hopper 4 joey system, the joey in my kitchen has been changing channels on its own the past few days for no apparent reason. The kitchen joey feeds off the living room hopper which also feeds my bar in basement which is rarely used so its not from a tuner conflict. All the other rooms are fine.

Just a couple of thoughts:

If the Hopper needs a tuner for recording it might take over the one feeding the Joey. Or if two of the tuners are recording, the third may be feeding both the Hopper output and the Joey.

You can also set a timer to tune to a specific program.

Could your Joey's remote have sticky buttons?

Any IR remotes in the room with the Joey that could be sending the channel change commands?

Is the Joey stepping up or down one channel or changing to a random channel?

It's changing channels like the channel down button is stuck, I pulled the remote batteries while this was happening and it continued. I was not recording anything and the dish remote is the only remote in the room.

It's changing channels like the channel down button is stuck, I pulled the remote batteries while this was happening and it continued. I was not recording anything and the dish remote is the only remote in the room.
Very strange behavior. You can rule out other Hopper and Joeys in your system as the cause since there is no way they can affect what's being shown on the kitchen Joey.

It's possible something in the kitchen may be generating a spurious button press via IR. To rule out IR interference, go into the menus and turn off IR (if you aren't using it). If problems persist (or it's already off), look for problems elsewhere.

Go to the system status menu (MENU twice on the old U/I, three on the new) and see if there are any other remotes paired. Again, this is a long shot since a button would need to be pressed and held on another remote to cause what you are seeing. While you are there, check the battery condition of the remote. If they are getting low there is a slight possibility replacing the batteries will resolve the problem.

If the Dish remote is generating a spurious button press without a release, removing the batteries from the remote might not stop the channel changing. The batteries would need to be removed before the remote has a chance to issue the button press. In other words, you'd need to keep the batteries out of the remote except when watching the kitchen Joey. That's probably not convenient.

Probably the easiest thing to do is swap remote for the kitchen Joey with another Joey or Hopper and see if the problems move to the other location. If so, it's the remote. If the problems persist on the kitchen Joey, it's most likely a flakey Joey. Dish should replace the flakey unit whichever it is.

I unplugged the hopper and joey before i went to work last night and plugged everything back in a little bit ago. So far so good, I already tried unplugging everything for 5 minutes before which did nothing.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts