Joey DLNA Problem

bf3000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Bel Air, MD
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned - I searched the threads but did not see this exact problem noted. I have a 2 Hopper/2 Joey setup with a HIC. When I try to listen to music on my Joey from my DLNA server, everything is fine, but if I try to watch movies from the DLNA on the Joey, the video is broken up. Everything works perfectly on the Hoppers - it is just the Joeys that are messed up. Since the MOCA is providing bandwidth to everything, I would think that if it works on a Hopper, it should work on a Joey. Anyone else having this problem?

This may not be related, but is Bridging enabled on your Hoppers? I would go to the Broadband Menu, choose MOCA from the drop down and then press the blue button 2 times on the remote. Since you are using a HIC, I would make sure bridging is disabled, just to be safe.

Checked both Hoppers - bridging is disabled on both. Since I am using the HIC, I am assuming that the data is being transferred to the Joey at the same rate as the Hopper. My guess is that this is a processor issue - the Hopper has the cpu power to play the video flawlessly, and the Joey does not.

My guess is that this is a processor issue - the Hopper has the cpu power to play the video flawlessly, and the Joey does not.

I have the same issue... my Hoppers play my MP4 (H.264) 720p DLNA served videos with no problem. My Joeys do not. I have a hard time believing it is a problem with the Joey CPU becuase the same Joey CPU plays all satellite based HD content, 1080i and 1080p, with no problem. The native format for many of the Dishnetwork channels is H.264 (100% H.264 on eastern arc), so I don't think it is a problem with the file format.

My Joeys do not. I have a hard time believing it is a problem with the Joey CPU because the same Joey CPU plays all satellite based HD content, 1080i and 1080p, with no problem.
Actually I believe the Hopper converts the stream to a format usable by the Joeys, I don't think the Joey's are decoding the pure satellite stream.

Actually I believe the Hopper converts the stream to a format usable by the Joeys...

That's rather startling! If the Hopper is transcoding, then why haven't people been falling all over themselves telling us that the PQ on a Joey is inferior to that on the Hopper?

The Hopper is probably just encrypting the content rather than transcoding. I've never seen any PQ differences between the H/J.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

It's already encrypted coming down from the satellite. So, I think what you are saying is that it's decrypting, and imposing a new encryption (MoCA) on the data stream. Even if true, what's wrong with bsexton's remark?

I have a hard time believing it is a problem with the Joey CPU becuase the same Joey CPU plays all satellite based HD content, 1080i and 1080p, with no problem. The native format for many of the Dishnetwork channels is H.264 (100% H.264 on eastern arc)...

If the Joey can handle the same codecs as the Hopper, then why can't it handle the DLNA stream which (unless I'm sadly mistaken) is not encrypted at all?

It's already encrypted coming down from the satellite. So, I think what you are saying is that it's decrypting, and imposing a new encryption (MoCA) on the data stream. Even if true, what's wrong with bsexton's remark?

If the Joey can handle the same codecs as the Hopper, then why can't it handle the DLNA stream which (unless I'm sadly mistaken) is not encrypted at all?

My speculation is it's a combination of bitrate and/or sound formats. Satellite content is notoriously low bitrate and is heavily optimized at the head end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)