Joey IR Sensor location?

vlad_

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2021
East TN Sticks
Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm getting ready to load all of my equipment into a Middle Atlantic rack located in a closet and wondered where the IR sensor is located on the Joey3 and 4K Joey to position IR blasters. I tried several searches but couldn't hit this one.

Thanks!

Yes, but the hub will be in the living room. I'm planning on utilizing the precision mini IR blasters in the rack.
You could set the Harmony hub to control the Joey via IP, and avoid the IR problems. That said, I am using IR instead of IP for other reasons. (I also monitor the IR commands for an automatic sleep timer.) I didn't figure out the exact location of the IR receiver in the Joey, but it turned out it was enough to have the blaster near the Joey for it to work well.

Reactions: TheKrell
I used my Harmony 700 at my Joey 3 and 4K Joey locations. I put the 700 right on the surface of each and turn each on and off. It worked on both from either the extreme left or right sides. That said, are you planning on have both the Joey 3 and 4K Joeys in the same closet? You may have issues with both responding to the Harmony commands when you only want one or the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
That said, are you planning on haev bot the Joey 3 and 4K Joeys in the same closet?
Nope, only the 4K Joey in the rack. But I figured that while I was asking for the IR sensor location on the Joey, I may as well try to kill to birds. Just in case I ever try something similar with the Joey3.

Just to change the subject but did you read where Logitech will quit making Harmony remotes. They will still support the warranties etc .
Yes, and I am fairly concerned about it. Their (Logitech) cloud services are needed to be able to program or change the remotes, and worse yet just to use them at all. I lost internet for a week or so after the last hurricane here, and the harmony hub remote experienced big pauses after the first day. By the third day, it was nearly unusable. Apparently, it calls home to Logitech every so often, and if it gets no answer it gets more and more upset. I wonder how long they will maintain services for the remotes? Maybe for a few years, but will it even be ten years before they pull the plug? They have some history here...

Just to change the subject but did you read where Logitech will quit making Harmony remotes. They will still support the warranties etc .
Yes, crying shame. Anything better than the Harmonies that I have seen has to have a pro installer. And my read was that they will continue support for adding new equipment as long as customers are still using the remotes.

"We expect no impact to our customers by this announcement. We plan to support our Harmony community and new Harmony customers, which includes access to our software and apps to set up and manage your remotes. We also plan to continue to update the platform and add devices to our Harmony database. Customer and warranty support will continue to be offered."

Admittedly, the ios and Android remote apps apps are getting better, but IMHO that just ain't quite there yet. This is why I believe Logitech is exiting the market. They have seen the handwriting on the wall so to speak.

I appreciate the ideas and suggestions, but... back to the original question...
Anyone know the location of the IR sensor on the Joey3 and 4K Joey? ;-)

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm getting ready to load all of my equipment into a Middle Atlantic rack located in a closet and wondered where the IR sensor is located on the Joey3 and 4K Joey to position IR blasters. I tried several searches but couldn't hit this one.

Thanks!
Hey, vlad_!
The IR sensor is located under the Power button on the front. It isn't directly under it, more toward the bottom of the receiver. You should be able to see a small red light, similar to the green power light that is lit up to the left of the Power button.
-Jessica M.

Hey, vlad_!
The IR sensor is located under the Power button on the front. It isn't directly under it, more toward the bottom of the receiver. You should be able to see a small red light, similar to the green power light that is lit up to the left of the Power button.
-Jessica M.
I always thought that was the optical laser light on sound.

Hey, vlad_!
-Jessica M.
Much Appreciated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)