Joey locks up on Dodge Commercial

Overlord66

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
For the past couple of weeks now our Joey will lock up after the Dodge trucks commercial plays. It goes to a black screen and just sits there. If it's live TV you have to change the channel in order for the black screen to go away. If it plays on a DVR recording you can start it over and FFW past the commercial but it you let it play it does the same thing. Has anyone else seen this?

Best answer I can give, (besides the obvious, only watch GMC commercials :) ) there must be something encoded in the commercial, or a quirk in the TV that is affecting the encryption of the HDMI signal, and the receiver thinks there is no HDMI connected after the commercial plays.
Three ways to test that, try a different HDMI cable, or connect the receiver with Component cables, or try a different TV using the HDMI cables.

Is it a local spot in SD? Based on the DVR behavior you mentioned, it looks like one. If so, welcome to the club. This annoying 'feature', is a result of Dish Network's quest for additional revenue through local advertising using a half baked technical implementation. Until enough subscribers deny them revenue over this in excess of what they bring in from local spots, it's here to stay.

It's this commercial so it's not a local commercial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUJ-tponYd8

It's not the cable because I can channel up or hit the DVR button and the next channel is fine or I can restart the recording. It's definitely something with our equipment or something with the commercial. It's really driving me nuts.

I have the same issue, except in my case it's an Excedrin commercial. My wife said there was another commercial it happened on. We rarely watch live TV, and when it happens the TV goes "blank", but changing channels or picking a different recording will bring it back. The Joey itself never locks up, just the recording. One interesting thing, after I realized what was causing it, I was able to rewind, and I saw a different commercial (where the Excedrin was), and it never locked up. It seems like those commercials are being injected and it's causing issues. Hopefully Dish gets this fixed soon, super annoying.

I have the same issue, except in my case it's an Excedrin commercial. My wife said there was another commercial it happened on. We rarely watch live TV, and when it happens the TV goes "blank", but changing channels or picking a different recording will bring it back. The Joey itself never locks up, just the recording. One interesting thing, after I realized what was causing it, I was able to rewind, and I saw a different commercial (where the Excedrin was), and it never locked up. It seems like those commercials are being injected and it's causing issues. Hopefully Dish gets this fixed soon, super annoying.
Ive seen a lot of complaints on DTV Facebook page about the same issue, with the same two commercials. Wondering if it may be the channel and commercial that is causing it.

I have experienced this as well, a few times now with different commercials.
While the substanance of the offending commercial may not be local,
Thr commercial is a cut-in targeted ad.
The issue happens at the end of the targetted ad,
The signal gets lost at the hand-off back from the target ad to the main feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)