Joey(s) won't power up

JeffN9

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2007
Oregon, WI.
Earlier this week I had a problem with one of my two Joeys. The screen saver was on but no matter what I did I could not get it to power up. Tried pressing select on the remote and Joey itself as well as the power button on the Joey to no avail. Only the screen saver displayed. I then unplugged the power for 10-15 seconds and plugged it back in. The Joey went through a re-boot process but when done it still only displayed the screen saver. I also did a red button re-boot on my Hopper (w/sling) which did nothing.

Thinking that I had a bad Joey I called Dish and they agreed to send me another one. After I activated it and did all the setup stuff it seemed to work fine. This morning though when I tried to power it up I had the same problem as the first one. Finally after holding down the power button on the Joey it re-booted and then seemed to work ok. I have a feeling though that the problem has not gone away. What else could be the problem??

I do have it plugged into a Monster surge protector strip but it has worked fine plugged in like that for nearly three years. Ventilation should be good, it is completely open on the top and sides.

I will try that but the last couple of times that I've turned on the Joey it seems to be working ok now. I did have one new oddity happen last night. The universal remote(MX-350) that I've used for years suddenly stopped controlling the Joey. It was only after I put batteries back in the dish remote, un-paired and then paired it back up again did the universal remote start working again. Is it necessary to keep batteries in the Dish remote even when using a universal remote?

I will try that but the last couple of times that I've turned on the Joey it seems to be working ok now. I did have one new oddity happen last night. The universal remote(MX-350) that I've used for years suddenly stopped controlling the Joey. It was only after I put batteries back in the dish remote, un-paired and then paired it back up again did the universal remote start working again. Is it necessary to keep batteries in the Dish remote even when using a universal remote?
Were you using the universal remote on the Joey that was giving you the issues?

Bypass that strip and see if your results change.
Just wondering why a power strip would make a difference? (Unless it's Defective obviously )
I've had components plugged into power strip surge protectors for probably since 2005, many different brands and types and never one time needed to plug any Satellite, TIVO or Cable receiver directly into a wall socket.

I don't Understand what difference it makes?
I've heard this as being a Trouble shooting step with Dish only, Never with Directv, and Never with cable. Atleast while I've had any of them.

Up until we built a New house last Summer with whole home surge protection I've been using power strips with never an a single issue.

Just Curious what does bi-passing the power strip achieve?
I don't think the Hoppers and Joey take very many watts to run, and Volts ? Most homes are 108-120 volts

And the Joey power block puts out only 12 volts using 100-120 volts.
That quite a span imo.
If a Customer is getting less then 100 volts in his outlet, chances are he has bigger issues, and would see something else in his house going on instead of a faulty or slow Joey.

I would place my bet On that universal remote, and that it's a Joey with S395 software.:)

But not an attack on you Chad at all,
Just wondering why this is a Trouble shooting step dish uses?
Is it just because people use power strips beyond their projected recommended life?

Or is there something power wise that's crucial in these Receivers and Joeys?

Joey with S395 software.

I wondered if it could be a software issue. Haven't been on the forum in a while, what kind of bugs did S395 have?

I don't think my problem is because of the power strip because the Joey was getting power. I could tell because it was very warm as usual and I could see a green light inside from the top. Also the screen saver would not be on if the Joey had no power.

Just wondering why a power strip would make a difference? (Unless it's Defective obviously )
I've had components plugged into power strip surge protectors for probably since 2005, many different brands and types and never one time needed to plug any Satellite, TIVO or Cable receiver directly into a wall socket.

I don't Understand what difference it makes?
I've heard this as being a Trouble shooting step with Dish only, Never with Directv, and Never with cable. Atleast while I've had any of them.

Up until we built a New house last Summer with whole home surge protection I've been using power strips with never an a single issue.

Just Curious what does bi-passing the power strip achieve?
I don't think the Hoppers and Joey take very many watts to run, and Volts ? Most homes are 108-120 volts

And the Joey power block puts out only 12 volts using 100-120 volts.
That quite a span imo.
If a Customer is getting less then 100 volts in his outlet, chances are he has bigger issues, and would see something else in his house going on instead of a faulty or slow Joey.

I would place my bet On that universal remote, and that it's a Joey with S395 software.:)

But not an attack on you Chad at all,
Just wondering why this is a Trouble shooting step dish uses?
Is it just because people use power strips beyond their projected recommended life?

Or is there something power wise that's crucial in these Receivers and Joeys?
Simple answer... Dish equipment is sensitive to fluctuations in power, and sometimes power strips(even surge protectors) affect them. I'll be honest, it wasn't the fix most the time, but every now and then there is one. There is a more complex answer that I'll let one of the big techies talk about if they so choose. Way to much language for me, especially just waking up... o_O

Some Dish receivers have built-in power line modems, Joeys do not. Surge suppressor power strips may interfere with internet access in some installations so it's on the Dish troubleshooting matrix.

Reactions: Troch77
Some Dish receivers have built-in power line modems, Joeys do not. Surge suppressor power strips may interfere with internet access in some installations so it's on the Dish troubleshooting matrix.
That would make sence
But even if Hoppers and Joeys are sensitive to power surges, they would be shot far faster directly plugged into a wall socket .

As far as to low voltage , My guess if it's less then 100 volts they just won't work.

As far as Internet interference, my Modem router is plugged into the same exact Power strip as my Hopper With Sling.
Never an issue.
But is also connected Ethernet .
So I'm assuming WiFi issues.
Bad Power strips.

I have done moca test's and they show ok. Not sure if an intermittent problem would show up there or not. When the 2nd Joey had the same problem I wondered about the node.

I have done moca test's and they show ok. Not sure if an intermittent problem would show up there or not. When the 2nd Joey had the same problem I wondered about the node.
If you go into Network Tests on the Hopper, I think it's the 3rd one down Common counters, you can see the Moca in Db, it's all the way at the bottom, they should be -40 or less.
Preferred -25 or less.
I had -39 -32 -31 on my one hopper and 2 joeys, and had Intermittent issues, my guess at times it's could have exceeded -40.
But I changed the Splitter and Removed my one Tap and ran new Coax to feed only the Joeys, and now
have -21 -16-18.
And not one loading issue again with the Joeys.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The Hopper and Joeys actually talk to their paired remotes. They automatically back them up, etc. It is important to keep batteries in them as well as keep them charged....

Reactions: Troch77
The Hopper and Joeys actually talk to their paired remotes. They automatically back them up, etc. It is important to keep batteries in them as well as keep them charged....

I wondered about this. I know that the receivers check the battery level of the remote and can locate them but wasn't sure about anything else. Never had a problem before but this might be the first time I actually removed the Dish remote batteries for one of the receivers. Weird coincidence that I would have a problem with the remote at the same time as the other problem.

If you go into Network Tests on the Hopper, I think it's the 3rd one down Common counters, you can see the Moca in Db, it's all the way at the bottom, they should be -40 or less.
Preferred -25 or less.
I had -39 -32 -31 on my one hopper and 2 joeys, and had Intermittent issues, my guess at times it's could have exceeded -40.
But I changed the Splitter and Removed my one Tap and ran new Coax to feed only the Joeys, and now
have -21 -16-18.

Thanks I will check the levels tonight.

Preferred -25 or less.
have -21 -16-18.
Found MoCA dBm readings. On the Hopper and Joey there are three readings. MoCA1 RxUc RxPower, MoCA2, and then MoCA3. Should all three read -40 dBm and less? How come the Wireless Joeys don't show these dBm readings in the View Counters? Good info thanks Troch77.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)