Joey Suprise - No Coax needed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Barry Erick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Dallas
I was moving one joey to see if the remote could be picked up and took the coax off to extend it. But the picture remained. It did not freeze. I could change channels, go to sysinfo and it showed a good link. Well, I know it ended and froze the picture on the other joey, but it did not have a network cable in it. Going back to the mysterious joey, I see I have a cat5 cable plugged into my network as is the hopper. Disconnect, and picture freezes. Conclusion: The joey can link to the hopper over CAT5E or CAT6 OR MOCA on RG6! I have tons of CAT5E and not much Coax, so I can make my move test easily.

I thought it was known that ethernet was a viable connection option for the Joey(s). I could have sworn I'd read it here.

This was discussed some time back. As long as the joey is on the same network it will continue to work. It links to the hopper over the home network instead of Moca. Even though this works, it isn't officially supported by Dish.

The only noticible functional difference between an ethernet (wired or wireless) Joey vs a Moca Joey is the drop down menu to select between Hoppers on the DVR listing screen is missing in a multi-hopper system. You can still freely switch and link to either hopper through the setup menus though. Minor annoyance considering the convenience it offers. I would assume it's an easy fix for Dish if they ever officially support non-moca connection.

I put a Joey on wireless a month or so ago while testing out a new router. Forgot it wasn't wired until this thread popped up.

I looked at the manuals on the forum and did not see it. But before I was interested in getting the hopper and joey's, I mostly watched the upgrad and new software items. Have not see any stutter or glitch and both are plugged into the same hub on my wireless so they do not need any routing other than by themselves.
My test for moving the joyes so the remotes would work in 3 places worked.

I've had one of the Joeys on WiFi without coax for about 6-8 months now...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

The only noticible functional difference between an ethernet (wired or wireless) Joey vs a Moca Joey is the drop down menu to select between Hoppers on the DVR listing screen is missing in a multi-hopper system. You can still freely switch and link to either hopper through the setup menus though. Minor annoyance considering the convenience it offers. I would assume it's an easy fix for Dish if they ever officially support non-moca connection.

I put a Joey on wireless a month or so ago while testing out a new router. Forgot it wasn't wired until this thread popped up.

how did you accomplish the wireless connection?

Forgive me for being a little slow here but I have a simple question. I have two hoppers and two joeys. I do have wifi working in the house. Are you saying I could take one of the joeys loose and connect it to a tv in the spare bedroom that has no cable to it and it would work?

Are you saying I could take one of the joeys loose and connect it to a tv in the spare bedroom that has no cable to it and it would work?
you would have to provide the joey with some method of network connectivity. For example with the approved USB adapter in the Dish store or via some other wireless options that were discussed in the link I posted above.

Gotya....I think sparc...I'll go back and reread this thread. There was a time when I understood tech stuff...like cb radio and eight tracks. Hard to keep up with things now days. Tks again.

Very interesting info. My parents were told they could not have a Joey in one room because the installer could not run a coax to it. But they do have their Hopper hooked to their wireless router via Cat5.
Really interested to see if this will allow them to get tv in that room now.

I was moving one joey to see if the remote could be picked up and took the coax off to extend it. But the picture remained. It did not freeze. I could change channels, go to sysinfo and it showed a good link. Well, I know it ended and froze the picture on the other joey, but it did not have a network cable in it. Going back to the mysterious joey, I see I have a cat5 cable plugged into my network as is the hopper. Disconnect, and picture freezes. Conclusion: The joey can link to the hopper over CAT5E or CAT6 OR MOCA on RG6! I have tons of CAT5E and not much Coax, so I can make my move test easily.

Yeah, that's been well known for quite a while, but not publicized much. They work well with a wireless adapter too.

When connecting a Joey over cat5 are there any settings to change or is it plug and play? Also can it be run on a LAN that does not have internet conection available (i assume it will as it's just a Hopper to Joey link)? Has anyone had issues with cable lenght on cat5?

Cheers

D.M.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts